Endgame Theory: Cold Fusion

edited September 2016 in Mr. Robot
I have a theory on White Roses' plan for the Washington Township Plant and the Cobalt mines in the Congo.

Basically, Esmail is borrowing from the Val Kilmer movie "The Saint" where Elizabeth Shue's character cracks the code on Cold Fusion, giving the world free and renewable energy. The purpose of the Washington Township Plant and the cobalt mines is to meet this end. Elliot and Angela's parents were tragic and unintended byproducts of White Roses' work but ultimately worth the sacrifice since success would "bring humanity to the next level". By "next level" I mean, a world freed from the requirements of energy.

Most global conflict has at least some form of connection to energy. Middle Eastern countries dependent on oil would be rendered insolvent, thus severely degrading terrorism as those groups are dependent on support from many oil-rich nations. The Iranian threat of closing the Strait of Hormuz is moot since oil would no longer be required to pass through it. U.S. presence in the Middle East would become unnecessary since the global supply of energy is guaranteed. Europe could finally assert itself to Russia since they would no longer be reliant on Russia's liquid natural gas pipelines that get them through the winter.

Not to mention the obvious effects such an energy source would have on global warming, pollution, etc. Cold Fusion serves to free the world from a great deal of problems and no doubt White Rose can justify almost any sacrifice especially if she's playing the long game and taking into account the potential "energy wars" many speculate will occur whenever fossil fuels begin to run out.

Nothing about Mr. Robot has shown me anything to justify androids or time traveling. It would be just too far of a leap (in my opinion) to introduce those elements 3 seasons into a show. Usually they are at least hinted at from the beginning of a series. That being said, what the hell do I know. I still ask myself "is any of this real?" every time I watch the show.
ryanfoster

Comments

• I'm liking it, good theory. Then again I also like the cyborg/AI/time travel theories, ha. I want it all.
  • Jal2071 said:

I have a theory on White Roses' plan for the Washington Township Plant and the Cobalt mines in the Congo.

Basically, Esmail is borrowing from the Val Kilmer movie "The Saint" where Elizabeth Shue's character cracks the code on Cold Fusion, giving the world free and renewable energy. The purpose of the Washington Township Plant and the cobalt mines is to meet this end. Elliot and Angela's parents were tragic and unintended byproducts of White Roses' work but ultimately worth the sacrifice since success would "bring humanity to the next level". By "next level" I mean, a world freed from the requirements of energy.

Most global conflict has at least some form of connection to energy. Middle Eastern countries dependent on oil would be rendered insolvent, thus severely degrading terrorism as those groups are dependent on support from many oil-rich nations. The Iranian threat of closing the Strait of Hormuz is moot since oil would no longer be required to pass through it. U.S. presence in the Middle East would become unnecessary since the global supply of energy is guaranteed. Europe could finally assert itself to Russia since they would no longer be reliant on Russia's liquid natural gas pipelines that get them through the winter.

Not to mention the obvious effects such an energy source would have on global warming, pollution, etc. Cold Fusion serves to free the world from a great deal of problems and no doubt White Rose can justify almost any sacrifice especially if she's playing the long game and taking into account the potential "energy wars" many speculate will occur whenever fossil fuels begin to run out.

Nothing about Mr. Robot has shown me anything to justify androids or time traveling. It would be just too far of a leap (in my opinion) to introduce those elements 3 seasons into a show. Usually they are at least hinted at from the beginning of a series. That being said, what the hell do I know. I still ask myself "is any of this real?" every time I watch the show.
    This is also interesting because power is SUCH a big theme and issue this season with the brownouts and all.
  • I don't think you're too far off here. I've been thinking down this line for a while now and I think you have the basic elements down, but the facts are a little more grounded in real life. Here is a list of a couple real world facts that really lend to the idea that what White Rose is really up to is cornering the energy market
    • The mine mentioned in season one is a Coltan mine. Colton is used for the following
      • Columbite-tantalite — coltan for short — is a dull metallic ore found in major quantities in the eastern areas of Congo. When refined, coltan becomes metallic tantalum, a heat-resistant powder that can hold a high electrical charge. These properties make it a vital element in creating capacitors, the electronic elements that control current flow inside miniature circuit boards. 
    • China is one of the biggest producers of Rare Earth Elements in the world. 
    • One rare earth element (monazite) is used in the production of Thorium
    • Thorium based nuclear reactors are considered the next wave in Nuclear power and being researched by many countries (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorium-based_nuclear_power)
    • The creation of fuel for thorium reactors is very dangerous, producing uranium-232 as a by product, which produces high quantities of deadly gamma radiation.
      • Gamma radiation can cause cancer in humans if exposed for longer periods of time
    • China did not have a nuclear power plant till 1991
    I think that White Rose and China are looking to corner the Energy Market. China has been aggressively looking for components to build a new form of miniature nuclear reactors that can power small localities. This would use a Thorium to fuel a Liquid Florida Molten Salt Reactor. The Washington Township reactor is used to create the Thorium fuel and is kept secret as it is a highly regulated substance. The Coltan mines produce elements used to create capacitors to store energy to slowly distribute it as needed to an energy grid. China can then package this as a ready to ship solution full integrated and ready to plug and play anywhere across the world. To create the fuel, thorium needs to be irradiated. This originally created a highly radioactive byproduct which poisoned the people of Washington Township, but can be modified to more safely produce the Thorium fuel, however it then produces weapons grade fuel. This is another reason to create the fuel in the US as they have the need for weapons grade fuel and the places to store it. These are reasons to want to keep the Washington Township project up and running and of the hands of federal regulators. The idea of creating the next big form of energy, while at the same time being the number one owner of the fuel used in said energy creation is a very very lucrative reason for White Rose to do whatever it takes to keep the Washington Township up and running.

• Wow, that's great work. I kept hearing "cobalt" and not coltan but it's not important. Basically we're talking rare minerals used for nuclear power. You've got some great points there.

I guess the details matter less than White Rose's motivations. Based on what they've shown her character to be thus far and her comments to Dom and Angela about the state of the world and taking humanity to the "next level", I'd say she has more altruist intentions. But you never know. It may be that China is doing exactly as you say (cornering the energy market) and White Rose is going along for now until she's ready to double cross them. Because if White Rose's motivations are the same as China's, why have the dark army at all?