MLB in October

Since I don't recall seeing a thread on here in the past, any baseball fans here?  Any predictions?  Anyone want to discuss?

Watching last night's wildcard game (with no rooting interest in either team), I was definitely of the opinion that once Jimenez came into the game, I figured Toronto was going to score (especially with the big bats coming up).  I may not follow the career of Jimenez, nor follow the Orioles, but he's just not someone I'm really trusting with my season on the line, especially with the 2, 3, 4 hitters of Toronto due up..

Tonight's game of Syndergaard vs. Bumgarner could be a very good pitchers duel.  If I'm a Mets fan, I'm very scared of having to face Bumgarner in an elimination game.

TravisMichelle

Comments

• I love playoff baseball! Last night was a really good start. Toronto has been fun to watch the last few years, they can hit the ball ... far.

I'm a Red Sox fan so pretty pumped about this season. Would love to win one last World Series for Ortiz! A Cubs-Sox series would be pretty epic.
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited October 2016
    I used to follow baseball more, now I really just look over stats to play daily fantasy. I can say that over the course of doing so I've made good use of some of Toronto's bats and I've enjoyed picking on Ubaldo. Toronto winning seemed to be the predicted outcome. I wish I had been able to watch it, but I was out and really only able to peek up at a muted tv occasionally. Looked like a really fun game.

Tonight's should be a good one. I think SF pulls it out, but that's a hell of a pitching match-up. I'll be in a similar situation, but I'm going to be keeping an eye on it when I can. Also, I hope I'm wrong and your Mets move on. Good luck, man!

• MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Baseball in October? I don't think so. I live right by Cincinnati and I'm pretty sure that baseball stops at the end of September. Who would eve---oh, I'm being told that that is when the playoffs start and my once awesome local team has apparently given up on the idea of playing in those....
    Sorry, just a little bitter. Ha
    TravisMichelle
  • WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    Dodger fan here so here's hoping the Giants blow it tonight!
  • Orioles fan. Wild card game? There was a wild card game?
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    Dodgers!
  • @WonderedObject @kingbee67 It's an even year and the Giants got in so maybe you guys will get a chance next year. At least you'll get to watch the NLCS.
    Travis
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    Even year? Is that some kind of No. Cal. Superstition propaganda?
    WonderedObject
    I mean if that's what helps you get through each year...
    solid game so far!
  • MichelleMichelle California
    I'm a die hard A's fan (not a Billy Beane fan though - grrrrrr) and I've given up on the playoffs over the past few years. We're a farm team, a training ground, with a few stars. Khris Davis is looking great this season, so he was a good acquisition, but I really just don't know what's running through Beane's head. Oh wait, yes I do... $$$$$$$$$$. :(

Baseball in October? I don't think so. I live right by Cincinnati and I'm pretty sure that baseball stops at the end of September. Who would eve---oh, I'm being told that that is when the playoffs start and my once awesome local team has apparently given up on the idea of playing in those....
    Sorry, just a little bitter. Ha

Oh, how I can relate. *feebly chants "let's go, Oakland"*

Murderbear
    @Michelle dont forget a breeding ground before shipping off your superstars! Sucks to see Cespedis in NY.
    A's are my second team
    Michelle
    Yep! Cespedes - right after he won the Home Run Derby 2 years in a row, btw - started this whole thing. Then it was Donaldson, now Coco (who has seen better years, tbh) and Reddick. At least Semien's stepping up this season and like I said, Davis is our star right now. Watch him get traded off though. >:(
  • Cubbies! This is the year! Bring on the Giants
    DrKen
  • Great game last night.  Syndergaard vs. Bumgarner was what we expected.  Mets only real hope was to drive up Bumgarner's pitch count and force him out of the game.  But alas, Bumgarner was his typical October self and the Giants prevailed. 

• FernNYC17FernNYC17 New York, NY
    Good run for my mets. I didn't expect to win but good run making the playoffs with half our team on the DL
  • It's the Cubs year.

I mean, fool me 107 times shame on...shame on you. Fool me 108, shame...won't get fooled again.
    MurderbearHatorianMichelleGredalBee
  • Rangers fan here! Even though we just got embarrassed today by the Jays. Also going for Cubbies.
  • Here's hoping for an Indians-Rangers ALCS.
  • Granted Cleveland won the game but I thought Francona yanked Bauer way too soon.  I at least would have given him a chance to face Holt and/or Betts and save Miller for Ortiz, maybe Betts.  So I guess I'm saying, I would have given Bauer a chance to finish the inning.  Should be interesting for Cleveland for today in terms of who is available in the bullpen for today.  Meanwhile, I thought the announcers really jumped the gun at the end of the game before they got a chance to see the replay.  The way they were saying "you can't have a game end like that" was just dumb because it was a borderline check swing and the ump called him out and then upon replay, to me at least, it looked like a swing and something in the at-bat that was already called a swing for the same type of check-swing.
  • He definitely swung. I even thought he swung before seeing the replay. After the reply it was a no doubt
    Doctor_Nick
    edited October 2016
    Please for the love of all things holy Chicago, please beat the Giants. I can't stand the fan base. Well my friends that are fans at least.
  • An interesting end to the Toronto-Texas series.  With a good throw, the double play is completed.  While the play was unfolding, I didn't think they had a shot at the double play just because the play seemed to be unfolding slowly.  Once the throw was off the bag and bounced away a little I was wondering Donaldson was rounding the bag and trying to score and that's exactly what happened.

For Cleveland/Boston, I won't be surprised if Boston wins either 3 in a row or at least forces a game 5 back in Cleveland.

I'm sort of surprised that I didn't hear any commentary for game 1 for Cubs-Giants.  To me, Baez seemed to stand at home plate for a little too long admiring his hit.  Now granted, it was a huge hit (and a HR no less) but still.  Seemed like the Giants would have gotten a little upset about it.

• My heart can't tAke playoff baseball. The Cubs/giants game was too much.
  • I couldn't believe that Arietta home run, that Francis Walcott looking motherfucker almost took the Giants down by himself

CoryHatorianGredalBee
  • DrKenDrKen Chicago
    edited October 2016
    I am too old to get that little sleep.

Cubs have spent every bit of emotion that this person can handle in one lifetime.  I have no emotions left.
  • the Cubs are giving this series to the Giants. the bats are reminiscent of 2007 and 2008. no one showed up. 
  • Hatorian said:

the Cubs are giving this series to the Giants. the bats are reminiscent of 2007 and 2008. no one showed up. 

I guess they saved their bats for the 9th!
  • what a game!!!!!!!!!! fucking huge man. middle of the lineup came up huge when it mattered. 
  • Time Change Alert - Everyone remember to move your clocks forward 1 year tonight.

Because this year is next year.

GO CUBS!
    HatorianGredalBee