Have you gone to the cinema alone before ?

So I've gone to the cinema alone a few times before and have even noticed other people doing the same thing in the same screening.

Have you gone before alone ? Would you again ? What did you think ? you

A couple of times before a few people have looked at me as if to say 'what's he doing here on his own' kinda thing, but you can't please everyone lol.

Comments

• Often. Not sure what the big deal is.
    MurderbeariMatty94ghm3TravisCodyHarris821
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    It's so funny that there is a stigma of going to the movies alone. I wonder why? I remember years ago when I went and saw The Avengers alone. I'm pretty sure it was the first time I'd ever done that. It's great! Don't get me wrong, I like going with friends or a significant other but being alone is great too. No one judges your snacking. You don't have someone there who feels obligated to talk about every single trailer after it airs. Really nice.

Now I absolutely love going early Sat or Sun morning. I went and saw Batman v Superman for $5.25 on an amazing screen because it was at 11am on a Sunday. I knew it would be a piece of crap but at least I spent the minimal amount of money on it. I guess I could have waited for Redbox but I still love that big screen experience.
    Travis
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    I love going to the movies by myself. I'd do it more often if I could.
    iMatty94ghm3MelonuskTravis
  • I have a couple of times. I think it's really not that different than when I go with others. I mean, I don't go there to chat and stuff - I go to watch a movie. I focus on that & not on who's sitting next to me. I don't think it's very common to go alone, but it's really no big deal. I don't need someone to accompany me whenever I do something. I go to concerts/museums/etc. on my own as well sometimes, and you can see solo people everywhere.
    Travis
  • I saw the last Star Wars movie alone because I couldn't go when other people did and nobody else could go when I did (like two weeks after release). It was pleasant actually. I do not like eating alone at restaurants, that feels awkward, but seeing a movie without interruptions was nice.
    Travis
  • It's also nice when you get to go to a movie off peak hours and you don't have to worry about getting there early for a good seat and anyone's crappy behavior in the theater.
    Travis
  • Yes a few times but not a big fan of doing it.  Once was a very dull day when my ex-wife and daughters were away and I ended up going to see two movies in one day, one after the other (I think one of them was "Chicago").  The other times were to see all three Lord of The Rings movies as no-one else was interesting in seeing them!
    Travis
  • I quite often see movies alone when I'm the only one interested in seeing them. Typically most animated movies I end up seeing alone if I can't convince a friend to go. It works fine with me since I don't have to depend on people to show up on time or for there to be the appropriate number of seats in a row if it's crowded.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    First time I saw a movie alone was The Matrix. One of the best movie experiences of my life. I enjoy going to movies alone and eating out by myself or with a book. I think it's more absorbing because if you're like me, you have this subconscious awareness of the people in your party and what they think and how they're reacting, which is distracting except for comedies.
    DaveyMac
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    edited October 2016
    I almost exclusively go to the movies alone! My local cinema does a members card where you pay £18 a month and you can go and see as many movies as you want to, and for somebody who runs a film review website it's a god send. At £10 a pop for cinema tickets, I can literally make a saving of about £100 a month in busy release months.

A friend might come with me if they want to see a popular release, but otherwise I just go whenever I have the time and enjoy my own company.
    adobo1148
  • MichaelGMichaelG Seattle
    edited October 2016
    I prefer it to be honest. I've never felt judged or self-conscious at all. Matinee showings are the shit. Movie theaters and baseball stadiums are my cathedrals.
    ghm3
  • I'm usually always alone when I go to the movies, it's never felt awkward to me.
  • I go to the movies alone when the Wife isn't interested in the movie. I like it. I also eat alone and enjoy the peace and quiet.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I get done with work around noon most days, so I almost always go to matinees by myself... Empty theaters are way better!
    Doctor_Nick
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    All the time. Its one my favorite way to go. 
  • MichelleMichelle California
    More often than not I go by myself. Not that I can't find anyone who wants to go, but I like that I'm on my own agenda. I enjoy doing things on my own oftentimes so that I'm not beholden to anyone else's schedule.
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    I have a few times (at least half a dozen).  First time I can remember was going to see Star Wars episode 3 while we had lost power at home but the closest theater still had power.

Recently I've seen Sully, and before that I did a double by seeing Suicide Squad and Star Trek on the same day.
  • edited October 2016
    I usually go by myself, and have done so my entire post-college life (15 years). Much prefer it that way!
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    I haven't yet - I'm 27, but I very much want to. Most movies i like to watch alone, unless it's a fun, group type movie. 

I almost saw the Hateful Eight alone - which would've been a great lone cinema experience, but I didn't :(

There is a theater near me that plays old movies sometimes, that would be good choice. 
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    I posted something a while back about going to the movies alone, what should I go see etc... well I never ended up going LOL! Just never got around to it. But I have no problem with it - I'm sure other people aren't giving you a second thought :) Maybe I'll go this week. I still want to see Sully... and Snowden but I feel like I want an uplifting flick :D
  • I love going to movies alone. Groups are fun and going with just my wife is great as well. But one thing I love about going alone is that I don't have to formulate an opinion or talk about it immediately when the lights come up. 

One of my favorite things to do since having a kid is waiting for him to go to sleep and then riding my bike to a nearby cinema to catch a late show. Really great way to spend an evening.
  • it's actually a little strange that going to the movies is often considered a social event, since it's basically the one setting in which you pretty much ignore the people you're around (and to do otherwise is considered rude) almsot the whole time you're there.  restaurants are sort of the opposite, since there are built-in lulls while waiting for courses/drinks during which there's nothing to do if you don't talk (or read/fiddle with your phone if you're solo).
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    DaveyMac said:

One of my favorite things to do since having a kid is waiting for him to go to sleep and then riding my bike to a nearby cinema to catch a late show. Really great way to spend an evening.

I'm assuming you have a babysitter with him once he falls asleep LOL!! ;)
    voodoorat said:

it's actually a little strange that going to the movies is often considered a social event, since it's basically the one setting in which you pretty much ignore the people you're around (and to do otherwise is considered rude) almsot the whole time you're there.  restaurants are sort of the opposite, since there are built-in lulls while waiting for courses/drinks during which there's nothing to do if you don't talk (or read/fiddle with your phone if you're solo).

Yeah, I always thought it was really weird that it is considered a date-night activity. I've had multiple occasions where I saw a movie that I loved (or hated) and the date thought the opposite. It makes for an awkward conversation. 
    TaraC73 said:

DaveyMac said:

I'm assuming you have a babysitter with him once he falls asleep LOL!! ;)
    Babies can fend for themselves! 
    TaraC73
  • A long time ago, I lived really close to a cinema. I would often just pop in, if I was a bit bored at home (mind you, this was way WAY before netflix/hulu/tivo/etc.). I remember taking the newspaper with me, so I had something to read while waiting for the movie to start (and during the break, if there was one). Whole place felt like an extension of my living room.
    TaraC73
  • Yeah, I like to go alone but I don't that often due to my gf and I being interested in the same movies. Last one I saw alone was Captain America: Civil War.

And I always bring my trusty movie flask.