Lost rewatch

Seriously serious enjoying my lost a lot, what a damn good show ! Watching episode 20 of season 2 and it's just so damn good. I may even say the 2nd best tv show behind breaking bad.
MichelleElisa

Comments

• TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    I agree! I love Lost. It was a constant in my life for so long I have memories of my life connected with certain scenes/episodes. It's crazy!
    Elisa
  • The first two seasons were amazing, but I feel like it kinda went off the rails after that.

I'd be interested to hear how you feel about the show after a few more seasons.
    CretanBull
  • MichelleMichelle California
    One of my top 3 favorite shows. Love, love, love.
    Elisa
  • it was a really fun show for a while.  really wish they'd been able to keep it together.  i should go back and re-watch it.
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    I've done a couple of rewatches over the years and have no interest or time to do another full rewatch, but I am absolutely loving rewatching it with Jimmy Macram, a youtube reactor who is hilarious and insightful. His videos are short (10-15 mins), and I highly recommend them. He just started S2. 

Apologies if I forgot any other LOST fans here.

voodooratTaraC73MichaelVCassidyFrakkin TMichelleMelia004CretanBullaberry89
    I love fresh takes on lost <3 Thanks!!
    pavlovsbell
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    How long til someone pops into the thread to tell us how shitty Lost was?
    Michellepavlovsbell
    Frakkin T said:

How long til someone pops into the thread to tell us how shitty Lost was?

The forum is pretty busy I say another 12 hours LOL
    Haha @Frakkin T, I give it to the end of the day.

@pavlovsbell Thank you for this!  I don't normally get into reaction vids (except for BM live watches) but this guy is entertaining.
    pavlovsbell
  • Lost season 1 was one of the best season's of television of all time. I'd put it up there with any series.
    voodooratpavlovsbellMichelle
    Michelle said:

Haha @Frakkin T, I give it to the end of the day.

@pavlovsbell Thank you for this!  I don't normally get into reaction vids (except for BM live watches) but this guy is entertaining.

You're welcome (and @TaraC73). I didn't think I would like it, either, but I got addicted to him, and I crack up every time he calls Walt "Magical Negro Baby" and when he does his Michael imitation ("Whyyouburnmyboatman?!). Wait until he gets to WAAAAALLLTTT next episode. Oh boy.

Even just watching the highlights of an episode is enough to move me to tears, especially whenever that damned Life and Death theme comes on.
    MichelleTaraC73
  • Haven't watched Lost in a long time, but I wonder now if it will seem painfully drawn out at this point, being 24+ episodes the first three seasons... So used to shorter seasons nowadays (and of course, allow me to kick The Walking Dead while it's down by pointing out that it's actually ruining older shows by being so awfully drawn out).
    pavlovsbell
  • I've done a couple of rewatches over the years and have no interest or time to do another full rewatch, but I am absolutely loving rewatching it with Jimmy Macram, a youtube reactor who is hilarious and insightful. His videos are short (10-15 mins), and I highly recommend them. He just started S2. 

Apologies if I forgot any other LOST fans here.

Yeah, I immediately thought of Jimmy Macram when I saw the title of this thread. I haven't watched Lost since it ended but I've enjoyed his reactions. He's pretty great on other shows as well. 
    pavlovsbell
  • I loved Lost... up to a point. John Locke remains one of my favourite characters in any work of fiction (it's such a shame that Terry O'Quinn doesn't get more work because he is an amazing actor). But I just can't bring myself to do a rewatch because it is such a massive commitment of time to potentially feel just as disappointed as I did the first time round.
    TaraC73
  • redlancerredlancer Seattle
    edited April 20
    cold open of Lost Season 2 is probably my first & favorite OMG moment in TV. 

Second favorite is probably Jon Snow vs. White Walker. That one was the first time I literally jumped out of my seat, screaming "YES" with my hands in the air ala Football touchdown.
    pavlovsbell
    @Melia004  Yeah, I've also been spoiled by cable's shorter, tighter seasons. I was surprised that these LOST reaction videos made S1 seem so exciting and tight, but my brain may have been filling in the missing parts while I physically got to see the highlights agains.

@Taka I enjoyed Jimmy's videos for Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead, although I had to nope out of TWD again in S6 because even he couldn't keep the show interesting for me. I wish I watched the other shows he covers because I really enjoy him.

@redlancer I don't usually move from my seat either, but that Jon Snow moment did it for me, also. That was a truly thrilling moment and expertly executed.
    redlancer said:

cold open of Lost Season 2 is probably my first & favorite OMG moment in TV. 

Second favorite is probably Jon Snow vs. White Walker. That one was the first time I literally jumped out of my seat, screaming "YES" with my hands in the air ala Football touchdown.
    Mine is the light coming on in the hatch!!
    Michelle
  • AdrianAdrian London
    One of those shows I struggle to rewatch because of the ending, just knowing where it's heading ruins it a bit.  I loved it for years, didn't even nearly stop watching through season 4 and 5.  But then that final season it was just hard to defend.  I just didn't think the story made any sense in the end, in terms of character motivations, actions etc.  Didn't particularly mind what the decided to tell us or not tell us about the island, but what they did try and tell us was an utter mess.  

Still assuming it'll come back at some stage given the mysteries of the island are all still there and the brand is so strong.
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    I feel bad for people that didn't watch LOST live. I mean, it's a fantastic show and you will glean all sorts of enjoyment out of it, but damn, that maintains as the most exciting show to watch live with the rest of the world. I cannot even describe it...like it gets close to GOT sometimes, but...it was like every week was the red wedding LOL
    Michelle
  • Lost was a unique experience that will never be replicated, simple because of the World it came into.  The timing with the rise of modern social media and forums and hive mind theorizing week to week and season to season was magic. It was by far the most fun I've ever had with television. I wasn't disappointed with the ending, because for me it was more about the characters than the mysteries, and I had come to accept they would never be able to adequately describe every mystery, nor did I want them to because some things are better left to the imagination :) 
    Michelleaberry89
    I still don't understand how people didn't catch on to the answers that we were given.
    They were all laid out for us by the end of the series, even if you had to think about it to get the answer.
    Seriously, if you're still wondering about a question you think wasn't answered, list it here & I'm sure one of us will be happy to answer it.

TaraC73
  • Michelle said:

I still don't understand how people didn't catch on to the answers that we were given.
    They were all laid out for us by the end of the series, even if you had to think about it to get the answer.
    Seriously, if you're still wondering about a question you think wasn't answered, list it here & I'm sure one of us will be happy to answer it.

Well, I said what I said... but I did get the answers to all the questions I had personally. There wasn't anything really unanswered for me. but like I said, the mystery wasn't the big thing for me... it was always the characters
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    I remember reading magazine articles like "Top Ten Answer Never Answered by Lost"  after the finale. Shit like - "So where did the polar bears come from? Never answered!"  was on there. Fuckign people either don't have a very good memory, or were not paying attention.

Personally, it was never ever about the answers for me. It was about the charachters. And if by like season 3 you couldnt see the writing on the wall that the "answers" were not going to be these earth shattering brilliant revelations, I dunno, I kinda of don't have a ton of sympathy for those people. 

TaraC73Michelle
  • I think part of the issue was the way in which Lost answered some of its mysteries. Certain things would be built up to appear important in one season and then not really answered until a couple of seasons later when it barely seemed relevant anymore and often times it was done very subtly or offhandedly. As a result, a lot of the answers lacked the dramatic weight they probably should have had because the writers dragged them out for too long.
  • Michelle said:

For me it wasn't that they weren't given, it was that they weren't satisfying.  I think that the last season or two felt like they were tying up loose ends and there was a mad rush feeling about it.  It left me thinking that nothing was planned and they were flying by the seat of their pants the whole time.  Those early seasons were SO good that they led the audience to think that there was a master plan in place and we were all going to blown away by it (because, that's what the show did on a consistent basis early on) but ultimately we were left with a "wait, what? that's it?" feeling.

• Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    oh look, we're talking about why Lost was shitty
    MichelleTaraC73Melia004
  • I'm doing it. I'm fucking doing it! I'm going in for the rewatch and digging my 'John Locke Wilderness Survival School' t-shirt out my wardrobe.

I blame you lot for this...
    MichelleFrakkin T
  • Vasilnate1Vasilnate1 Salem, MA
    edited April 23
    aberry89 said:

I remember reading magazine articles like "Top Ten Answer Never Answered by Lost"  after the finale. Shit like - "So where did the polar bears come from? Never answered!"  was on there. Fuckign people either don't have a very good memory, or were not paying attention.

Personally, it was never ever about the answers for me. It was about the charachters. And if by like season 3 you couldnt see the writing on the wall that the "answers" were not going to be these earth shattering brilliant revelations, I dunno, I kinda of don't have a ton of sympathy for those people. 

I think they did tell us about the polar bears. The Asian guy from Dharma said they were brought there for testing, something to do with their memorie capacity and other stuff. They use to keep them in the cages that Sawyer and Kate were imprisoned.
  • LOST was constrained by the limitations of having to please the network much the way it seems like The Walking Dead has been, which really shows the difference in quality of writing and execution. The Leftovers seems to be benefitting greatly from HBO letting people actually spend money, plus the whole shorter season/series thing... Game of Thrones as well.
    TaraC73
  • Have whizzed my way through the first two seasons already. My thoughts so far...

1. It's a very different experience binge watching it.
    2. I'm still so in love with John Locke.
    3. I forgot how melodramatic it can be.
    4. I can't remember if it was Scott or Steve who died.
    5. Daniel Dae Kim is fiiiiiiinnnnne.
    6. Considering the vast amount of characters, they are mostly well fleshed out and act consistently. And when they don't we understand why (take note Walking Dead writers).
    Michelle