Official Direct Thread: The 5th 'Direct' Director

It's time to pick the next Direct director!

We need to clean our palette after the heavy nature of our Fincher run, so we've picked six directors with lighter fare for you to choose from. 

Here they are:
  • John Hughes (Sixteen Candles, The Breakfast Club, Weird Science, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Planes Trains & Automobiles, She's Having a Baby, Uncle Buck, Curly Sue)
  • Rob Reiner, 1984-1992 (This is Spinal Tap, The Sure Thing, Stand By Me, The Princess Bride, When Harry Met Sally, Misery, A Few Good Men)
  • Tim Burton, 1985-1999 (Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, Beetlejuice, Batman, Edward Scissorhands, Batman Return, Ed Wood, Mars Attacks!, Sleepy Hollow)
  • Wes Anderson (Bottlerocket, Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums, The Life Aquatic, The Darjeeling Limited, Fantastic Mr. Fox, Moonrise Kingdom, The Grand Budapest Hotel)
  • John Carpenter, 1974-1986 (Darkstar, Assault on Precinct 13, Halloween, The Fog, Escape from New York, The Thing, Christine, Starman, Big Trouble in Little China)
  • Guy Richie (Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, Snatch, Swept Away, Revolver, RocknRolla, Sherlock Holmes, Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows, The Man From U.N.C.L.E.)
If there are dates next to the director's name, we will only watch movies within that allotted time period. 

Can't choose? The survey is configured so that you can vote for multiple directors. Pick all the ones you like!

Direct will resume in November. Thanks for your help!
Jovial_FalconFreddyDaveyMac

Comments

• Voted. JC all the way
    Freddy
  • I went in for Wes Anderson, but I think any of them will make for great podcast consumption.
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Not gonna lie, I may create fake accounts on my friends' computers just to make sure John Carpenter wins this one.
    MichaelGTravis
  • Man this is tough. There are a choices here that would really fill in some gaps that I have in my film-watching and a couple of others where I've seen all their work and enjoy most of it. 

I'm going to vote for John Carpenter though. I've only seen a handful of his films and would love to catch them all. He's also a really interesting dude in interviews.
    FreddyMichaelG
  • John Carpenter, hands down.
    Freddy
    edited October 2016
    Alright, alright! This is what I like to see. Making my night, folks. Except you, @Travis, but I forgive you.

Travis
  • Make sure you vote at the link above. 
    Jovial_Falcon
    edited October 2016
    If I make a special intro for the Big Three (BTLC, EfNY, and The Thing) will you guys use it in place of the "Do you know what nemesis means?" jingle? Assuming JC wins, of course. ;)
  • If JC wins, please oh please add 1987's Prince of Darkness! I feel like that's his last great film. -and it's the film right after BTILC my vote is obviously for John Carpenter. Freaking LOVE his work.
  • Going under the assumption that the next Next director was to serve as a "break" from the usual, I have to go with Tim Burton. Second for me would be Wes Anderson, but those are a little deeper than Burtons' work, for the most part.
  • How about

James Cameron 1986-1986

Sorry Eric.  I feel personally offended about the whole "Aliens" thing...

• Voting closes next weekend. Make your voice heard!
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    John Hughes <3
    Dee
  • Last chance to vote! We tally up at the end of the day Sunday.
  • Vote at the link above.
  • jtmy92jtmy92 Independence, MO
    Any update on the results of this? Excited to hear who it is and for you guys to get started!
    Freddy
    @jtmy92 Same here, I can't wait to hear that John Carpenter won!
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    I just voted for Wes Anderson five times! Vote early and often! LOL
    Travis
  • I'm pretty sure me voting for John Hughes was like voting for Jill Stein. 
    @Dummy Not at all. This election matters.
    Dummy
  • I have a feeling Hughes will win by a nose. I think any of these directors will be entertaining, but I can imagine the conversations between Eric & Levi about Carpenter's movies. (BTW--If Carpenter wins, pleeeeeease add They Live to his list!)
    Jovial_Falcon
  • Who won?
  • Announcing soon...
    Fuck yeah! (or "Fuck you!" if J. C. didn't win)
  • Donald Trump said I could change my vote.
    Travis
  • Ya'll are killing me! lol!
    Who won?
    jamesyjtmy92Freddy
  • ANNOUNCEMENT: Direct returns this weekend. 

Stay tuned. 
    TravisFreddyMelia004jtmy92levijDeeKingKobra
    Damn hipsters... Ha ha.
    Wahl-eTravis
    And seriously, Eric!? You've never seen The Kurt Russell Holy Trinity!?
  • edited November 2016
    Eric has some real weird gaps in his movie repertoire. Arrogant co-host Jesse and I are to blame for not making him watch these with us in high school.