Changing Podcast App Platform - Which should I choose?

aberry89aberry89 California
I have been happy with iTunes podcast app for years now, and at this point, I have so many subscriptions, starting on a new podcasting platform seems a pain. But with the recent ios 10 update, the app is running at a snail's pace on my iphone 5. I don't know if I should wait around for bugs to be fixed, but thought I would pose the question...

What is the BEST free podcasting app. What i am looking for is quick streaming (I almost never want or need to download a podcast), easy interface and maybe have a feature to arrange and or categorize podcasts. I would rather not pay, but if it's like one time payment download the app that's okay. 

Comments

• Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited October 2016
    Overcast is pretty good. It has smart speed compression to speed up podcasts without the chipmunk voices.  Very good at streaming.  My problem with it is that I liked having a big list of On The Go podcasts which I added episodes to as I wanted, I only had the one On the Go playlist in the Podcast app.

Overcast seems to force you to have the podcasts you want in a particular playlist automatically added so if you have too many podcasts in your list, it becomes unwieldy. If you delete them from any playlist, it deletes the episode from all your lists and the podcast listing.  So I now am creating playlists for different genres of show; so if I want to listen to that genre, I now move to that playlist. If that's what you want to do anyway, Overcast is right up your alley.  Also you can just import your podcast listings from iTunes.  It's also free unless you want to unlock very specific functions you really don't need (I think uploading podcasts or audio you have to listen to later and a dark screen function if I remember right).
  • I second Overcast.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I use PocketCasts on Android. I don't remember if it was free, and I don't know if there's an ios version, but I do like it.

There is an iOS version because that's what I use. I have tried several including Downcast, Overcast, and this one is the one I stuck with. I also can't remember if it was free or not
    voodoorat
  • voodooratvoodoorat Atlanta
    edited October 2016
    @hisdudeness915 i use same.  i don't think it was free, at least when i got it, it might have been like $3 or whatever.

*edit* i subsequently paid more to get web app access as well, i listen to enough podcasts that it was worth it to me.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Pocketcasts isn't free, I think I paid either 2.99 of 3.99 for it about five years ago, and have enjoyed nearly constant updates and improvements, and feel like it's heads and shoulders above any other player I've tried. 
  • BB2KBB2K Adelaide, South Australia
    i've used podcast addict ever since going to android and it's very easy to use and has always worked well for me, it's got ads at the bottom but they're super unintrusive

you can add podcasts from the itunes podcast directory thing too which is super useful
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    Thanks guys for all the suggestions! I will take them under advisement! 
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA

Overcast is pretty good. It has smart speed compression to speed up podcasts without the chipmunk voices.  Very good at streaming.  My problem with it is that I liked having a big list of On The Go podcasts which I added episodes to as I wanted, I only had the one On the Go playlist in the Podcast app.

Overcast seems to force you to have the podcasts you want in a particular playlist automatically added so if you have too many podcasts in your list, it becomes unwieldy. If you delete them from any playlist, it deletes the episode from all your lists and the podcast listing.  So I now am creating playlists for different genres of show; so if I want to listen to that genre, I now move to that playlist. If that's what you want to do anyway, Overcast is right up your alley.  Also you can just import your podcast listings from iTunes.  It's also free unless you want to unlock very specific functions you really don't need (I think uploading podcasts or audio you have to listen to later and a dark screen function if I remember right).
    This is a problem I've also noticed with Overcast. I love it otherwise. I don't quite understand why they don't make it easier to quickly add podcasts to an ever-changing on-the-go list. Strangely enough you can have certain podcasts that are added automatically to certain lists, which is great. But I never use that, because I want to listen to things in the order in which I want to listen to them in. I'm glad to hear I am not the only one running into this frustration. Oh...and they recently added (fairly innocuous) advertisement bumpers. I can't decide if they annoy me enough to donate at this point.
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    I use downcast... not free, but definitely worth the $2 or $3!
  • I've used Downcast on iOS for almost 2 years and dig it. Insanely customizable.
    aberry89
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    Third the rec for Downcast. I've been using it for years on both iOS and OS X quite happily.
    aberry89