3.09 - 3.10: 2 episode season finale

Starting a thread. The back half of S3 was perfection for me. HACF is best show on TV that virtually no one is talking about. Just wanted to say thanks for talking about this show, because it's so worthy of several in-depth casts. 

Thank you Walking Dead for helping this show get an S4.. 
GredalBeeKingKobraWahl-eNatter CastDani_Armindoelgat0

Comments

• edited October 2016
    Lots of feels.  LOTS OF FEELS! I initially wasn't sure about them jumping to 1990.  So many tech developments and personal changes were glossed over, but I guess that was necessary to get us to the Internet/season 4.  For my money, the acting in "NIM" between Joe/Cam was some of the best I've seen this year.  There's so much history and chemistry there that even when the dialogue got a little loose, the performances were so captivating.  I also liked the Before Sunset walk and talk feel it had going.

Donna is a beast.  We all assumed she was going to divorce Gordon from the first episode, and I'm not going to divorce-shame anybody, but that felt icky.  It seemed implied that she wanted to get further ahead and left Gordon as a result.  Cameron scorches her in the finale and you realize Donna has ditched Cam/Joe/Gordo at various points in the series in order to get ahead.  Now she's turned into the villain for season 4 and I can't wait to see Joe and Donna try to out-connive each other.

Gordon's stuff was super depressing.  Firstly, I know that people used to send VHS tapes of themselves through dating services, but that concept is kind of horrifying.  I don't know why, must be the physical media aspect of it.  If somebody had a VHS tape with me on it, I'd be freaked out.  But that scene with the stairs and "you can do better" was really heartbreaking.  I think that's when you know a show is great.  When you have well established history and characters, a throw away line/scene like the stairway can land like a ton of bricks.
  • NathanNathan Winterfell, The North, Westeros
    Honestly, I really like this show, and it was nice getting the band back together, but everyone is an asshole and I hate pretty much everyone's face right now. The fact that they've put me in a position where Joe is actually decent in comparison to both Gordon and Cameron is crazy to me.

Like, when I saw all of them around the computer at the end, I was just hoping it would all come tumbling down. Prayers for Season 4 I guess.

Joe's character growth this season has been great, but Cameron has somehow gone backwards? She refuses to mature, refuses to take responsibility, and is constantly, constantly, trying to find ways to undermine and betray those around her. She's still basically a child, to the point where when she said "I know, all grown up, right?" I laughed at her.

Sure Tom was being a dick - that came out of nowhere a little - but I could understand him. I believe him when he said he was only caring for Cameron. He knows how bad the cult of Joe is, how unstable Gordon can be, and how hurt Cameron was by Donna. We all need a Tom beside us when we're feeling down. He honestly deserves better.

Going into Season 4 I'll be rooting for Donna all the way. I hope she realises that those three she left behind are terrible. She deserves better - she managed to get away from a terrible, dysfunctional marriage. I hope she finds happiness. She felt guilty about what she did, which is something that Cameron cannot grasp, because Cameron is perfect in every way, and only cares about herself being right, rather than a bigger picture. Jim, how can you like Cameron?!? Seriously!!!

Speaking of which, single fellas! Donna's on the market!!!!

Also, wtf happened to Joannie?! She looks like 25!!!!
    Palliard
  • I enjoyed NIM more than NeXT personally. I also, still feel that last weeks epsidoe could have been the series finale and I would have been happy with the ride. While I am excited about next season, it seems that their group no consists of everyone that is mentally troubled. This could spell trouble as usually they have someone that balances them out (maybe a queue for Boz to return). It does seem strange to see Donna take such a turn for the Dark side (even though some of her moves were legit business wise). People have always underestimated her though and if she is focused can be a dangerous opponent. Looking forward to the podcast discussion.
  • Nathan said:

Also, wtf happened to Joannie?! She looks like 25!!!!
    I know! It just about took me out of the episode on a number of occasions. In 4 years she achieved a surreal amount of growth. Must have been all of that '80s teen angst. At least wardrobe didn't fall down - the Shonen Knife was a perfect choice for her t-shirt. Plus, she doesn't even remotely look like the girl getting the braids for her Joan Montana Halloween costume (that was the last time we saw her, right?).
    PalliardNathan
  • Just as a heads up Andy Greenwald posted a podcast where he interviews Cantwell and Rodgers. Haven't listened yet, but thought I'd let fans of the show know.
  • edited October 2016
    Well, damn. Both of these episodes were just amazing. This show has always been great at presenting these really ugly arguments where no one person is completely in the right, and "NeXT" was full of them (although I find it hard to sympathize with Donna at this point, especially if she's going to Switzerland solely to fuck over everyone else). More than anything though, I'm just really impressed at the showrunners for having the courage to jump straight over huge events like Gordon and Donna's divorce and the end of Mutiny and give us a relatively subdued finale like this, especially considering they didn't know if they were getting renewed when they wrote it. I mean, what other show would dedicate that much time of its potential series finale to scenes where the main characters sit in a room and argue about things like hypertext? This could've been it, and it would've been a good ending, but I'm really glad they're getting a final season. What a great time for TV this is, when a show with ratings this terrible gets to end on its own terms. Can't wait for next year.
    hypergenesb
  • I would have never guessed that the transformation over 3 seasons was: Joe becomes Donna; and Donna becomes Joe. (I'm grossly generalizing, but that's where we are at). Cameron, while she has learned some lessons, is still the same. I hope Season 4 is about her transformation. 
    Palliard
  • Agreed that this would have worked as a series finale. Just remove the part where Donna storms off to CERN and end on the shot of them standing over the terminal loading up the first webpage of the internet. 

Looking forward to seeing the browser wars of the 90's. Donna v. Joe should be good. 
    hypergenesb
  • Announcement: Due to Eric traveling to Cincinnati to hang out with Jim and Aron, we will release our finale episode for Halt and Catch Fire tomorrow. We'll also be recording it live in the same room. Cheers! 
    KingKobraDani_Armindo
  • Wahl-e said:

Announcement: Due to Eric traveling to Cincinnati to hang out with Jim and Aron, we will release our finale episode for Halt and Catch Fire tomorrow. We'll also be recording it live in the same room. Cheers! 

I certainly hope you'll be evangelizing this show to @A_Ron_Hubbard if he hasn't been keeping up, this season has been serious prestige-level television!

SomeBiscuit
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    Absolutely fantastic wrap up that was these last four episodes. Some of the series best moments were in these episodes. I hope Donna has some redemption coming because I hurt seeing the best character fall from grace so harshly. Definitely excited for what looks to be a bittersweet final season.
    Palliard
  • If the amount of emotional involvement a tv show generates is a measure of its brilliance, then HACF is totally brilliant!  Some of the episodes this season have left me wrung out, and the finale was no exception.  Although I do have some questions.  What is up with Cameron's repressed nun styling??  Since I've learned that nothing on this show is done by chance, are we to assume that this is a sign about a dull marriage, lack of inspiration, or what?  Also, I knew when Donna said they could get rid of Joe, that it was a total "oh shit" moment, but I didn't foresee that Cameron would turn on her like that.  I was so happy to see the Scoobies back together, but the writers couldn't leave me with that!  I'm still Team Donna, because just as in Season One no one f-ing values her, neither of the guys questioned where she went, no no, its all about Cam the Genius.  But this was all Donna's idea and I want to see her win big in Switzerland. :)
  • Palliard said:

What is up with Cameron's repressed nun styling??  Since I've learned that nothing on this show is done by chance, are we to assume that this is a sign about a dull marriage, lack of inspiration, or what?

I thought they were doing something playing her outfit off of Joe's. They were the inverse of each other; she had white on black, he had black on white. hmm...

hypergenesb
  • There is something that has been driving me insane: what is the song AMC uses in their short halt and catch fire commercials? A heavy synth one, no vocals.
  • There is something that has been driving me insane: what is the song AMC uses in their short halt and catch fire commercials? A heavy synth one, no vocals.

@joepinetree can you post a link to one of these commercials that you're talking about? because most of the ones on YouTube that I saw all used different songs.
  • I haven't been able to find this particular commercial online, but it is the one where the whole commercial is essentially the announce reading positive critical reviews of the show for this season (which is different from a similar commercial they ran for season 2).
  • I haven't been able to find this particular commercial online, but it is the one where the whole commercial is essentially the announce reading positive critical reviews of the show for this season (which is different from a similar commercial they ran for season 2).

Is it this one?

joepinetree
  • It is the 15 second version of that one, but the song is the same (though in the 15 second version they only played the instrumental part) And it turns out someone asked the same question in the comments. (cold light by the operators).
    Thank you so much, you are a sanity saver.
    KingKobra