NHL IS BACK... again

edited October 2016 in General
Been looking forward to this day for many months. Hockey is my favorite sport so with NFL and NHL both active, it's a great time of the year.

My Avs got a new coach this year after an awkward exit from Roy. I don't really know what to expect but hopefully our young core of guys can get off to an early start.

We dont play till Saturday night which sucks but I will watch any team play. The game is too much fun

Blues vs Hawks tonight @ 8 on NBCSN and Kings vs Sharks @ 10
GredalBeeTaraC73

Comments

• The World Cup of Hockey was pretty great. But I'm ready for the puck to drop too. 

My Wings open tomorrow night against the Lightning, who I anticipate will kick our ass. We had some nice pre-season moments, but I predict another middle of the pack season from the Red Wings (ESPN has us 25th in the rankings). Goalie troubles, aging stars, inconsistent young talent. Best thing that could happen to us is that our playoff streak will end. Force some serious change. But I really don't care who is playing, as long as the game on the ice is solid. 
    Jovial_Falcon
  • @hypergenesb we were 6-0-0 in the pre-season so I hope we can keep that rolling. The streak is pretty crazy to begin with regardless of my feelings towards the franchise. It will never be done again if they should not make it. I personally think making it in the East would be easier than the West
  • Austen Matthews with a hat trick in his debut. Great to see young special American players
    hypergenesb
  • Prediction - Caps underachieve for the 45th straight season.
    TaraC73GredalBee
  • edited October 2016
    Hey Hey Whaddaya Say! Go Canes.  Let's finally compete and not sell all our best players at the trade deadline (again).
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    Let's go B's!!

How about those Leafs tonight?? Star #1 pick gets FOUR goals - they still lose the game :/
  • 4 goals in his 1st game. UNREAL
    hypergenesbTaraC73
  • I believe the goal is make the playoffs on a hot streak, I might not get too into this for a month or two.

Lets Go Pens!
  • NHL Center Ice is free right now. Probably lasts till next weekend. Comcast channels 621-635 for me. Search for Sports. You might get the channels in your area
    TaraC73
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Nice to see a fellow Av's fan.

Crosby's already out, so that sucks.

How many goals will Matthews have at Xmas?
  • CoryCory New Scotland

NHL Center Ice is free right now. Probably lasts till next weekend. Comcast channels 621-635 for me. Search for Sports. You might get the channels in your area

I wonder, is that in the USA only?
    TaraC73
    Cory said:

NHL Center Ice is free right now. Probably lasts till next weekend. Comcast channels 621-635 for me. Search for Sports. You might get the channels in your area

I wonder, is that in the USA only?
    Give your cable/satellite provider a buzz. We have dish network (we are in the US) and they offer all kinds of sports packages. I feel like I saw an international soccer package in the lineup a while ago.

I love the center ice package it's worth every penny (we pay $120 for the season, broken down into 4 payments) it's a guaranteed something to watch every night. It's awesome to be able to switch to a different hockey game when the home team game is less than thrilling. And being able to see every team play every game is priceless!

Jovial_Falcon
  • @TaraC73 i thought the package was a flat upfront sum. I'll have to contact Comcast again.

Its usually not worth it for me as an Avs fan considering their 9/10pm start times and the fact that only 1 channel is HD(RIDICULOUS).
    But being able to hear broadcasts from both sides or just the Avs(Altitude) is great.
    edited October 2016
    @Jovial_Falcon Dish network offers to break it up into four months or pay at once :) I see you said Comcast - they get you by the short and curlies :/ we ditched them years ago. Very happy with dish!

The LD channels are awful and some feeds are pitiful (the old MSG feed looked like closed circuit cameras a few years ago!) but shitty visual quality hockey games are better than no hockey games!
  • Haha yea. I was watching the Rangers last night and it was pretty bad but I agree SD Hockey is better than nothing
    TaraC73
  • edited October 2016
    GredalBee said:

Hey Hey Whaddaya Say! Go Canes.  Let's finally compete and not sell all our best players at the trade deadline (again).

... and the Canes lose.  But I think the skill improvement is obvious.  Teravainen got the big headlines in the off season, but Stempniak was a great sign too.  When Faulk/Hanifin/Slavin get back to regular season form, this is a good team. 

@hypergenesb How'd you like that DeKeyser goal last night lol?
  • @GredalBee was that the one off the boards? Crazy. The goalie knocked the net loose falling backwards. I feel bad for the goalie but that was funny
  • GredalBee said:

@hypergenesb How'd you like that DeKeyser goal last night lol?

I know, right? One of the most improbable goals I've seen in years. Like something straight out of a cartoon. I'm thrilled Vanek and Nielsen got off on the right foot. But I'm still predicting our streak will end this year...
  • Alot of great games tonight.

I'm hoping my Avs can finish this road trip with a win over Luongo
  • 5 in a row for the Canes and we finally have + players again lol.  The improvement in skill is surprisingly getting backed up by Ward.  I hope they can keep the good play going into December.

Also, the "Golden Knights" is a shitty name.
  • The Golden Knights, sponsored by the Luxor. They should of just gone with The Knights. Which i suspect everyone will call them anyway -
  • ScottTex said:

The Golden Knights, sponsored by the Luxor. They should of just gone with The Knights. Which i suspect everyone will call them anyway -

Yup... Vegas Knights has a nice ring to it.  Look forward to seeing games there that don't feature the Kings or Avs.

Logos are sweet though... they did a great job there.
  • Couldn't do Knights because some other team has it in the AHL or minor league or something
  • DoubleA_RonDoubleA_Ron San Diego
    edited November 2016
    Hatorian said:

Couldn't do Knights because some other team has it in the AHL or minor league or something

London Knights, Ontario Hockey League (Juniors). Also, apparently there was some pushback from Army on the "Black Knights" moniker, which was the original preferred choice of owner Bill Foley.
  • As a Las Vegan, I am very disappointed with the name. They had to stay away from anything gambling related, but the "Outlaws", "Desperados", "Desert Knights", or "Dust Devils" would have been infinitely better names. 

"Golden Knights" sounds like some generic team name for a videogame. But whatever, we have a team!
  • Looking for a physical match tonight.  Probably not like this

• edited January 15
    It's hard to gauge improvement when you have a small market team like the Canes and nobody gives a shit.  But they're playing their best hockey in years.  The young blue line immediately made an impact last year and now the young forwards are making a difference.  I was wondering if 90 points was even possible this year, but now I think they're legitimately competing for the top wildcard spot.
  • ^ Cam Ward is healthy and playing well...plus Skinner is playing like his 'old self' (a funny thing to say about such a young guy)...factor in the young core having another year of experience under their belts and things are looking good.  I don't think that they'll contend for the top wildcard spot, but they could battle it out for the second one - I think one of Philly, Tampa or Carolina will take that spot..
  • Looks like an epic second-half collapse for the Canes.  What a difference a month makes.  Anybody need some young D? There's going to be a fire sale in the upcoming weeks.  I think Bill Peters might be on the block too.  Staal, Skinner, and Rask are locked up, so keep an eye on Lindholm and Teravainen.
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    How long is Jordan Staal going to want to be there without big bro Eric?  He'll want a trade to New York to play with big bro Mark soon!

Or to Minnesota to reunite with Eric.