American Horror Story 605 - Chapter 5

Directed by: Nelson Cragg
Written by: Akela Cooper

Comments

• WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    That spider/ring/child was pretty creepy.
    Here's to hoping they can live up to the hype they've built
    KingKobra
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    edited October 2016
    I've gotta say I think this was the most enjoyable episode of the Roanoke chapter. Lots of blood and gore, a couple of genuine jump scares, and some more dimension added to the Polk family. Loved Frances Conroy as Mama Polk, that woman was bad ass in the worst possible ways.

Slightly underwhelmed by the Edward Phillipe Mott tie in, for me a 'link between all seasons' should mean more than just a character conveniently sharing the same family name as other prominent characters in previous seasons. The plot would have been no different if the original home owner had been a completely unrelated English eccentric, there was nothing about the fact that he was a Mott that had an important impact on the story. Nonetheless, it was fun hearing a shoutout to the Dandy being the last in the family line and hearing that history had quite rightly documented the events in Freak Show for the scandal that they were!

Thanks to the balls to the wall nature of this episode I've come away from the Roanoke chapter feeling a little more positive than I would have, say two episodes ago. I'm still baffled by all of the decision making from pretty much every single character, especially because Matt and Shelby's escape was done in pretty much the same manner that they could/should have done weeks ago. Get in the car, get the fuck out. I guess Shelby needed a crushing mallet to the leg to finally see that!

Really looking forward to where the show goes next, god damnit Murphy don't let me down now that you've pulled me back in!

ElisaUnderwoodFrakkin T
  • I really did enjoy the episode last night.  Although I was underwhelmed at the Butcher's son all of a sudden growing a conscience.  Where was that through all of the other slaughters?  Where was Gaga whispering in their ears?

I thought Evan Peters did fantastic as the Mott character.  I haven't been impressed with his acting since Murder House.  

I've got more to add but work beckons me!  Super excited to see where this "twist" goes.

I'm thinking it will be like the Ghost Hunters Live Halloween show and they'll do it at the house but of course it goes awry.

manhattnik
  • I don't know what it is, but outside of a few parts it was underwhelming for me. The interview style they are doing basically confirmed what we were thinking (they made it out). I did enjoy the flashback, the Polk family and spider/Ringu kid. I'm kind of worried from seeing the short promo for next week. I may go back and watch this without commercials to see if it's better for me, I'm not sure why, but they seem to be killing the feel of the show for me.
    manhattnik
  • Loved episode 5! Does anyone think that we've seen the last of the "reenactment" couple and that the producers will return to the house with the "real" family to try and make contact with the spirits? I think that would be a great game-changer.
  • This season seems like it has mostly been running. Run from the guy with the pig head. Run around in the woods. Run away in your car. This episode was ALL running. 

I did enjoy the Mott character. Who knew? Evan Peters can pull off a colonial wig. The Ringu spider girl was hella creepy. The poor Prof Cunningham chopped to pieces and his bashed in pumpkin head were chilling. I loved seeing Fances Conroy as the crazy hick lady.  

All in all, it was okay. I'm curious what kind of twist we're going to see next episode. Having the cast and crew appear at the house doesn't seem all that twisty, but we'll see I guess. 
    manhattnik
  • Also, I think A Ron and Cecily are right. There is something wrong with that girl Flora. She seems simple or something. Either that or she is the calmest kid ever. At least, she showed some appropriate fear in this episode. 
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    There were a bunch of callbacks to previous seasons in this one. 

Evan Peters played a rich asshole who built what would become a very fucking spooky place, and he didn't mind murdering people. (Hotel)

Remember this image from season 1?

When Mott was leading them through the tunnels, there was a point when he stopped and turned to them and brought the torch across from one side of his body to the other and the shadow made a face like this: 

Spooky as shit!

Another visual echo: This is a still from Hotel: 

And this is when then they came for Mott:

The show is signaling to us that AHS as we know it is back. Up til now, despite having a few series regulars, this hasn't felt at all like the AHS we love (or love to hate.) This episode offered some real excitement and awesome scares, and seemingly wanted to remind us over and over again why we love it. I was on the fence leaning towards nope but I'm all the way back in now. 
    wildwildwhitMichelleTaraC73UnderwoodBourbonQueen
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    And this: If you're thinking about being a hater, listen to Myrtle Snow: 

wildwildwhitTaraC73BourbonQueenMichelle
  • wildwildwhitwildwildwhit Seattle
    edited October 2016

Don't let us down Murphy!

Frakkin TMichelle
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Loved this episode. Except - why didn't they take off in the truck? They had a gun, they could easily have gotten rid of Frances Conroy & gotten the hell out of there.

Also, something's not right about the ending...Shelby saying she keeps having this same dream - why not 'nightmare'? Would it have been too on the nose given the series title? Or is there something more going on with her?

Super creepy visual makeup effects on Evan Peters' face when he passed the candlelight in front of himself. Very cool.

Not much time to write anything lengthy, but I think this season is killing it (no pun intended) and I can't wait for next week's big twist!
    TaraC73wildwildwhit
  • manhattnikmanhattnik the big apple
    I dunno. Still a plot driven by stupid decisions. And the violence and gore and gross outs were a little too over-the-top, like they were reaching. And where did the ex-cop sister get that car? Was it hers before she was arrested?

I guess I just got sick of the idiots, living and dead. Agree it seemed convenient for the son to get a conscience after centuries of murder.

Also, with that nasty compound fracture, all it took was some plaster to fix her ruined ankle? And what an interesting visit to the ER that must've been.
    Elisa
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    I loved seeing jp march again and agree that those candle shots were super cool! Excellent episode. Gore, jump scares, plotline tie-ups, feathery tongues and purple cockheads - this one had it all!
    UnderwoodMichelle
  • @Frakkin T  Season 1 Murder House is by far my favorite, and I just love Evan in that, especially that scene.  Hell, I have that song that's playing in the background as my ringtone.  LOL

I thought is was totally cool how they made his look while they were walking in the tunnel.  That's the first time I've seen them do something like that.  Very spooky especially considering how they have no clue who to trust at this point.
    wildwildwhitmanhattnik
    edited October 2016
    Frakkin T said:

Another visual echo: This is a still from Hotel: 

And this is when then they came for Mott:

I *loved* that reference to Hotel.  I thought maybe they'd tie the real Matt and Shelby to it, or maybe some of the crew, but I'm so glad they used this.  It's one of my fav. freaky moments from that season.
    edited October 2016
    Oh btw, the historian is an actual historian who did a cameo on the show for her talking head moment.  It explains the flat, monotone delivery, being that she's not a trained actress. 

http://www.doriskearnsgoodwin.com/

amyja89UnderwoodmanhattnikwildwildwhitBourbonQueenHollyoak
  • WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    Finally got around to listening to the podcast and I was cracking up when you guys went on with the "womans touch". For what it's worth, Cecily got it pretty much right with her suggestions. My gf had thought maybe a different color for the studio and agreed that it was a bit cluttered. Attention to detail was exactly what she meant. She thought that it looked like how I would have a studio so maybe that says more about me haha. 
  • Michelle said:

Oh btw, the historian is an actual historian who did a cameo on the show for her talking head moment.  It explains the flat, monotone delivery, being that she's not a trained actress. 

http://www.doriskearnsgoodwin.com/

I was really surprised that people didn't know this. She is a very famous historian. I guess I just read too much.