Technical Question: Listening from Phone Browser

So I usually listen/watch to the Live Recording and lunch casts from a browser on my phone. Sometimes (ideally) they continue to play when the browser is "minimized" and I can still do other stuff on my phone. Other times, it only plays if the screen stays on and the webpage is up (can't even go to a different tab in the browser without it stopping). But there doesn't seem to be any pattern to which podcasts this happens on or which browser I'm using. Any idea if this is a setting with the upload or something weird with my phone?

Comments

• MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Are you using an iPhone? If it stops when you close Safari, just swipe up and then it should treat it like any other audio and you can hit play from that menu. Or lock the screen and it should show up there as well. You can do that with any kind of browser based media. YouTube wisened up and you can't do it from the app anymore unless you subscribe to YouTube Red.
  • @Murderbear No, S5. Usually using the Dolphin browser if it matters. But like I said, sometimes it works fine and continues to play in the background, other times no dice. Not the end of the world, but the screen having to stay on the webpage is a battery drain and I can't multitask on my phone while I'm listening. Just curious if anyone else ever ran into this issue.
    Murderbear
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Yeah, I've noticed that as well.  It seems like it will keep working until the system needs to play another sound, or there might be a timeout for the stream when it sees if the client is still alive and when it's minimized it can't respond and times out.  I know those are the two things that will kill the playback for sure.  Ironically if you view it with the official youtube app, you can't background play it at all.
  • @A_Ron_Hubbard Ok, thanks. I'll live. I was mostly just curious why it only seemed to happen half the time. Didn't know if there was an upload settings on your end that allows for background playback on not.
  • Factors that could explain the difference:
    - WiFi connection active yes/no.
    - remaining battery life low/high

Just speculating here that your S5 is pausing the video in an attempt to save your battery life and/or your data plan.
  • Factors that could explain the difference:
    - WiFi connection active yes/no.
    - remaining battery life low/high

Just speculating here that your S5 is pausing the video in an attempt to save your battery life and/or your data plan.

Good thoughts, thanks, but don't think so. There's literally no pattern to it. I've had it work fine with low battery and/or not connected to WiFi (and I have unlimited data anyway).