Batman rebirth
Justice league rebirth
Spider-Man (2016 miles morales)
Batgirl and the birds of prey rebirth
I'm only reading twd monthly and get the volumes of the rest every six months

Comments

• MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    edited October 2016
    Unfortunately I don't read too many comics these days but I did get to read the first four volumes of Saga. It's incredible and absolutely one of the best comics I've ever read.

Saga. Check it out.
    gdogslDegausser24
  • I'm almost embarrassed at how many comics I read, like 20 titles monthly.  Here's my top 3 right now.

"Lazarus" - like game of thrones in a post-apocalypse corporate feudal system; consistently great in every regard.
    "Manifest Destiny" - fictional horror re-imagining of the Lewis and Clark expedition; phenomenal art, and good characters.
    "Ultimates" -  Marvel team book; good sci-fi superhero team book with a really diverse and interesting line-up that tackles every cliched "superhero" problem in an unconventional and thought-provoking way.  What they did to Galactus is fantastic.
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Ya know, I pretty much stopped reading comics since my apartment can only hold so much. I have pretty much sold the vast majority of my floppy comics and have either bought the stuff I REALLY want in hardcover. Or purchased other stuff in digital form. I am looking forward to reading Saga. That writer has done some really fantastic stuff. (Outside show-running Under the Dome :-( )

• Unfortunately I don't read too many comics these days but did I get to read the first four volumes of Saga. It's incredible and absolutely one of the best comics I've ever read.

Saga. Check it out.

Saga. A thousand times Saga.

Also loving the Rebirthed Superman books. Glad they brought back MY Superman! (I am not really that entitled, but it is comforting to read Superman back with Lois and references to events from when I was reading Superman consistently.)
    Robot
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited October 2016
    Up to Vol 8 of collected Sandman. Great stuff.

Volume 1 of the Black Panther by Ta Nehisi Coates-Disappointing, boring, didn't care about anybody.

Volume 1 of League of Extraordinary Gentleman- Amusing but just ok.

Vol 1 and 2 of Preacher. Interesting ideas and concept, but too generally over the top for me.
  • SAGA is the fucking best. Paper girls is really really good. Pretty much anything by Brian K Vaughan is worth your time.

Superman American Alien by Max Landis is a tremendous take on superman from someone who truly understands what is inspiring and heroic about that character. Trade just came out, highly reccomend it.

As far as current titles, I'm loving most of the new Batman books. Tom King's run has been really fun. Detective Comics is so fucking good since the rebirth reboot. Don't sleep on this book people. All Star Batman is amazing, wouldn't expect any less from Scott Snyder. 
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    I'm currently into:

Outcast (from Robert Kirkman)
    Southern Bastards (revenge story set down south around high school football)
    Saga
    Birthright
    Paper Girls
    Doctor Who run with the current doctor
    ...and sadly the Marvel Darth Vader run just ended at 25. A total bummer because that was fantastic
  • Ya know, I pretty much stopped reading comics since my apartment can only hold so much. I have pretty much sold the vast majority of my floppy comics and have either bought the stuff I REALLY want in hardcover. Or purchased other stuff in digital form.

You're absolutely right.  Out of curiosity, how did you manage to sell the single issues?  I'm not very Ebay-adept, and it's not like I've got high-value issues, just some incomplete runs from the last ten years or so.  I haven't really tried to push them on a local store, but I doubt they'd want recent runs, anyway. 

I'm currently into:

Did you ever read Scalped? Its the same writer and a crime drama based on a Native American reservation. Its pretty fantastic. 
    ken hale said:

Ya know, I pretty much stopped reading comics since my apartment can only hold so much. I have pretty much sold the vast majority of my floppy comics and have either bought the stuff I REALLY want in hardcover. Or purchased other stuff in digital form.

You're absolutely right.  Out of curiosity, how did you manage to sell the single issues?  I'm not very Ebay-adept, and it's not like I've got high-value issues, just some incomplete runs from the last ten years or so.  I haven't really tried to push them on a local store, but I doubt they'd want recent runs, anyway. 
    So I started with just trying to sell runs of artists/writers. Like well-known stuff such as Bendis/Bagley's Ultimate Spider-Man issues. I'd throw them together by story-arc or whatever made most sense. However, after getting next to nothing back and sometimes losing money on shipping, I just decided to donate them to a charity that gets comics to armed forces. I ended up much less stressed, saving money, and just feeling better about the whole thing. I recommend it. I used this one, but if memory serves you have to pay for shipping which can get pricy for books.http://comicsforsoldiers.org/

But I also used http://www.collectibleswithcauses.org/comic-book-donations.html and they came and picked up 20 of my short boxes and hauled them off. I have no clue where they exactly went. I guess it just depends on if you are trying to make a buck or not.

The other thing I did was use Craigs List. Lots of people on there don't mind the leg-work. You can offer a box for 5-6 bucks or whatever and lots of folks would be happy to come and pick them up to give to their kids or whatever. You have some options...most of them don't involve you making too much money for the time and effort you'd put into it. 
    ken hale
  • Paper Girls.

Bought it, haven't read it yet.

I also have the first issue of Saga.

I love comics but never really had a history with them. I started reading the new 52 reboot from DC but then my interest fizzled out. The problem I have with a lot of old school comics is that I don't know where to start. That's why I liked the New 52 reboot.

• calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina

I'm currently into:

Did you ever read Scalped? Its the same writer and a crime drama based on a Native American reservation. Its pretty fantastic. 
    No I haven't. Sounds like I need to check it out. Is it still being written or is it finished. Maybe I can find a TPB at my local shop

I'm currently into:

No I haven't. Sounds like I need to check it out. Is it still being written or is it finished. Maybe I can find a TPB at my local shop
    It finished up a four years back at this point. It has some real noir aspects. Vertigo published it...I want to say it lasted around 60 issues. (Googles it up...) Yeah, around 10 trades. I think it loses some steam towards the end, but that could just be because I steamrolled through it. 
  • Just finished Short Cuts, a collection of short stories by Raymond Carver. Loved it.
  • I just picked up the first volume of "Monstress", but haven't had a chance to crack the cover yet. Looks really interesting, though. 
  • Saga & Sex Criminals. Everything else I'll read here and there. I was reading Postal yesterday while flying to Florida.
  • Rebirth definitely got me back into reading comics regularly. I got the big Rebirth issue and all the subsequent character one-shots. Following that, I follow all the Superman-related books (Action comics, Superman, Supergirl/woman, Justice League).
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited November 2016
    Starting Walking Dead Volume 1.  I'll see how it is, bailed on the show in Season 2.  

Starting Walking Dead Volume 1.  I'll see how it is, bailed on the show in Season 2.  

Ya know, I was never even all that impressed with the comic. Similar to the show it has moments that are better than the sum of its parts. Each issue is read within 10 minutes. The dialogue is really stilted...I still read it because it is an easy, quick read. But I am not the biggest fan. 
  • It's a quick read, for sure.  Each volume on comixology takes me about 30-45 minutes to breeze through.  But Walking Dead is just a fun read.  I finally got around to All-Out War this last week, after I quit reading it following Negan's introduction. 
  • I never understood how people can read individual issues (The Walking Dead).  The hard cover editions and the compendium editions are a better value.  Something happens every 70-100 pages or so. 

I just started the Immortal Iron Fist.  Pretty interesting so far.
  • Just finished Sandman Vol.9 -The Kindly Ones. Remarkably affecting stuff. How is this not an HBO show yet?
    DaveyMacKela15
  • Definitely recommend The Fix! It's been fantastic.

Just finished Sandman Vol.9 -The Kindly Ones. Remarkably affecting stuff. How is this not an HBO show yet?

There are so many Vertigo comics that would have made excellent HBO shows. I know 100 Bullets, Sandman, Y: The Last Man have all circled around HBO at some point. But it just never materialized. 
    DaveyMac
  • Paper Girls.
  • Walking Dead Vol. 8

It's compulsively readable and really damn sad.

How many seasons did the show take to get here?
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    edited March 2017
    I finally got around to reading Craig Thompson's works. "Habibi" and "Blankets"

I am horrible critic because I really have no words for how incredible both of his books were. I didn't think the writing could compete with how gorgeous the art was but...man. So powerful. And both books' story structures are just beautifully set up - I love when all aspects of a work are serving the narrative. 
    DaveyMac
  • Definitely recommend The Fix! It's been fantastic.

Seconding this. The Fix is a lot of fun/disgusting/hilarious. Also, I can HIGHLY recommend Spencer's and Lieber's previous work together, The Superior Foes of Spider-Man

Squirrel Girl is popular in my house at the moment too. Great for adults and kids alike. My daughter loves her so much, I had to make her a costume.

• Also, currently rereading Transmetropolitan. Given the current climate of US (and global) politics, it seems pretty pertinent.

Also, currently rereading Transmetropolitan. Given the current climate of US (and global) politics, it seems pretty pertinent.

There was a Comixology sale on Transmetropolitan and I thought that exact same thing. 
  • @aberry89 Yeah Craig Thompson's artwork is really fantastic! I could relate a lot to some of the scenes, themes, and subject matter in Blankets. And, while I didn't love the narrative in Habibi, I absolutely loved the artwork and also the comparisons of different versions of the old testament stories with the Koran counterparts. Have you read "Goodbye Chunky Rice"? 
This discussion has been closed.