Good board games?

I'm looking to buy a few board games to play with a couple friends. 5-6 people. Any good suggestions? I hear Jim and A Ron mentions some on pods. Figured u guys could give me some suggestions. Open to all types adult or pg doesn't matter

Comments

• Or card games
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I just played some goodies over the weekend. If you like drafting type games, check out Splendor. If you like worker placement type games, Istanbul is like a tactical worker placement. If you like asymmetrical player vs player press your luck / bluffing games check out Sherriff of Noughtingham. If you're looking for a great beer and pretzels war game check out Star Wars: Rebellion.

Oh, and Terra Mystica is like, Catan: Perfected. Or maybe Catan: Complicated, if you don't dig a half dozen currencies and crazy economic engines.
    Dylan B
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Why yes sir, I have a bunch of recommendations:

If you are into more casual/party games:

Forbidden Desert/Forbidden Island : I just put these two together since they are very similar. Both cooperative, collecting treasure-type of games. They had the same creator. Desert is superior if you ask me, it is more difficult and a tad more intense. Both games also have difficulty levels that you can ramp up. The great thing about these games is they are super easy to pick-up and learn. I've played it with friends who hadn't played a board game in years without any issues.

Sushi Go: Super fun and surprisingly competitive. Also easy to learn. The great part about this is partly the presentation. All the cute little sushis and such. It is also super easy to transport. So if you wanted to go to say, Beaver Island. It'd be easy and compact to transport.

Sheriff of Nottingham: I grin every time A.Ron mentions this. Its a bluffing game that I discovered it maybe a year ago. It also is easy to learn and play. The greatest part about this game is if players actually get into the game and start bribing, renege on promises or playing dastardly head games with their competitors. Because of this I think the game also can be pretty dull if you have people that just are playing it without any personality. A really awesome drinking game too. Its surprising how hard it is to lie to someone after some booze in your stomach.

Codenames: A.Ron also mentioned this one. Its fantastic. And you end up learning a ton about how your teammate thinks. Its a game in where your teammate gives a one-word clue to their partner who then tries to connect a handful of words. I'd say one of its downsides is how having a bad luck of the draw can make the game almost too easy or hard to connect the words together. That can be a bit frustrating. But you may only experience that in one out a handful of sessions. 

Castle Panic: This one is beyond simple (rule-wise, its actually somewhat difficult to beat). It kind of turns me off with how simple the rules are. But kids love it and its easy to understand. There are a couple of expansions for it as well if you are wanting some diversity. 
    Dylan BPavkey88darwinfeeshy
    edited October 2016
    If you are into horror/zombie games:

Dead of Winter is fantastic. Its a survival game where you are trying to collect supplies while fending off zombie attacks. You roll a die for traveling to explore different areas and potentially risk a bite along the way. What really ads to the game is you are playing cooperatively and all have a collective goal. However, each player has their own personal goal as well, that they keep secret. And if you wish, one of the players is a traitor and may be sabotaging the team's efforts. There is a standalone/expansion that was just released called Long Night. It adds in new story modules and such. I tend to prefer just the original game, but both are fantastic. 

Zombicide: This series has a bunch of "Seasons". They are just improvements upon earlier versions. If you don't mind the medieval setting, the 3rd Season is probably the most honed. Its another cooperative game. It overwhelms you more with gameplay and hordes of zombies than the story-driven Dead of Winter. Its really good and has cool miniatures. 

If you want random odds and ends

King of Tokyo/King of New York: This is a competitive game where you play a monster attacking a city (Tokyo or New York...go for NY if you decide to buy. There is more strategy involved, while Tokyo is a tad too simple). Each player tries to attack the city while the other monsters try to knock-out the city destroyer and then take their place. Its kind of like Last Man Standing. 

T.I.M.E. Stories: Boy I can't say enough great things about this one. If you imagined what a cooperative board game version of a Choose Your Own Adventure book would be like...this would be it. You work as a team trying to solve a mystery that is unfolded by playing through a deck of cards. For example the deck that comes with the initial set is a horror story called Asylum. There are add-on decks for other mysteries and stories. The downside of this is...after you beat the story it is not worth replaying. With that said I still haven't beat Asylum, and I've given it a few playthroughs. Its very much story-driven and has way cool art. But the lack of replayability may turn folks off. It is such a great experience though that I can't recommend it enough.

Pandemic Legacy: The regular Pandemic base game has you trying to cooperatively wipe out a string of plagues as it spreads around the world. The legacy version is the same thing, but you play through a storyline while doing this. Its great. So far only a Season One is available. But a Season 2 is on the way. 

Sherlock Holmes -- Consulting Detective :This can easily be played as one-player. It is a sleuthing game where you play as an assistant to Sherlock. You track down clues when a mystery is solved. You legitimately are reading newspapers and interviews that are presented. The game doesn't hold your hand at all. You eventually present your answer to the mystery and Sherlock tells the real answer. Its very intimidating.
    Dylan Bdarwinfeeshy
    Games I've heard great things about but have yet to play 

Mansions of Madness second edition : This is a pretty expensive miniature heavy game. If you decide to get it a second version was just released which seems to fix a ton of the problems with the initial edition

Ghost Stories: Heard good things

Betrayal at House on the Hill: Heard even better things. An expansion just came out too. Its supposed to be pretty intense. 

SeaFall : This is another legacy game by one of the creators Pandemic Legacy. You are a ship captain and you go around exploring and getting into adventures based on cards that you pull.

Cry Havoc : I don't know a thing about this one except I've heard its great.

Scythe: Same with this one. I am not even sure if it is really released in the states yet. 

Dylan Bdarwinfeeshy
  • Games I've heard great things about but have yet to play 

Mansions of Madness second edition : This is a pretty expensive miniature heavy game. If you decide to get it a second version was just released which seems to fix a ton of the problems with the initial edition

Ghost Stories: Heard good things

Betrayal at House on the Hill: Heard even better things. An expansion just came out too. Its supposed to be pretty intense. 

SeaFall : This is another legacy game by one of the creators Pandemic Legacy. You are a ship captain and you go around exploring and getting into adventures based on cards that you pull.

Cry Havoc : I don't know a thing about this one except I've heard its great.

Scythe: Same with this one. I am not even sure if it is really released in the states yet. 

I will be finally starting SeaFall this weekend! I have read that it starts a little slow, but it is worth it once you get a few games in.
    Dylan B
  • Above suggestions are all great! My newest favorite medium size group game is Escape From the Aliens in Outer Space.
    It is a really fun hidden movement / deception game. The new edition of the game is really well put together and has really awesome components where everyone can keep track in their book with dry erase markers. Lots of fun hunting down the human players, or trying to evade the aliens to try to get to an escape pod.

Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition is such an improvement over an already fantastic 1st. It can be pretty involved tho (and brutal at times. The game plays mean)
    The cool feature is that the game is app driven. I set up my laptop and the app makes all the decisions about monsters spawning and keeps track of your progress and the story.

For casual stuff with a group, I would suggest Sushi Go Party (a ton more replay-ability over the original Sushi Go), Codenames, King of Tokyo.

If you have a group that will consistently get together to play, then TIME Stories and Pandemic Legacy are two of the best table top gaming experiences you can have.

And I agree when A_Ron says play Terra Mystica. He is right. A fantastic fantastic game.
    Dylan B
    @gdogsl , how long did your Mansions games last? I heard that they can last 3+ hours. That sounds crazy to me. 

I will say that TIME Stories and Pandemic Legacy are amazing with a regular crew. But that is also adds to their detriment. Like if you can't get the same people together, you have to decide if you want to just play the next chapter without them or play something else until you can all get together.
    Dylan B
  • @gdogsl , how long did your Mansions games last? I heard that they can last 3+ hours. That sounds crazy to me. 

I will say that TIME Stories and Pandemic Legacy are amazing with a regular crew. But that is also adds to their detriment. Like if you can't get the same people together, you have to decide if you want to just play the next chapter without them or play something else until you can all get together.
    The first time we played Mansions, the first scenario took like 2.5 hours. But the setup only takes like 5 minutes now instead of 45 minutes of the 1st edition, so that is much improved. When I played the 1st scenario again with a second group we did it in about 2 hours. What is fun is I actually have played a couple of the scenarios solo! It's really a cool experience. Especially because I got crafty and painted up all my miniatures. Really adds to the experience. It helps that the app plays creepy music for ambiance, or we will put a scary movie on in the background.
    The last scenario is an epic ~6 hour task that we have not tackled yet. That might be a day planned out, or I may do that one solo. Leave it on my dining room table and play it off and on for a week. Haha.

TIME Stories doesn't necessarily require a regular crew pf the same people. There is some connective tissue between scenarios, but you don't have to reference back to previous adventures.
    Pandemic Legacy though, I would fully recommend always playing with the same people. If anything for the fact that I would be upset if some of those doors or boxes got opened without me! It is so fun opening a new box and seeing how the game will evolve next.
    Dylan B
  • thank you guys now i have some to choose from. let you know what i pick!
    gdogsl said:

TIME Stories doesn't necessarily require a regular crew pf the same people. There is some connective tissue between scenarios, but you don't have to reference back to previous adventures.
    Pandemic Legacy though, I would fully recommend always playing with the same people. If anything for the fact that I would be upset if some of those doors or boxes got opened without me! It is so fun opening a new box and seeing how the game will evolve next.
    As far as TIME Stories, that kind of happened with me. I played with family one night (I almost like a trial run when playing some of these games to iron out the kinks and make sure I understand the rules properly). And then played with friends the following day. I knew some twists and turns, but I just kept my mouth shut so my friends could make their own decisions. I didn't think it would be fun if I informed them of anything. So I just used my best poker face and we were a few steps away from beating the Asylum story. After we finish that I am very excited for the other decks. I hope they continue releasing more, the panoramic art and story-fueled, choice-driven gameplay really appeals to me.