606 - "Chapter 6"

Directed by: Angela Fucking Bassett
Writer: Ned Martel
MichelleElisaAll the ChickensDani

Comments

• MichelleMichelle California
    edited October 2016
    Really digging this switch up.  Is anyone else thinking that the one person who survived the three days might be Sidney?  Or do we think that because he's a giant asshole and didn't believe the terror was real, he'll ironically meet a grisly end in the final episode?

Agnes told Sidney that there are two characters in canon that every actress wants to play - I missed the first one, but the second was The Butcher.  I'm wondering if we will see her again, and who will play her?  Or, will Agnes visit the set in violation of the restraining order (since she only lives a few miles from the house), be arrested on suspicion of these deaths that will be happening, but yet they still continue while she's behind bars and that's what convinces the production crew that it's real?  We've even got Sidney flat out telling Agnes that The Butcher is not real, which only means that of course she's real.

R is for Rory.  Poor Evan Peters didn't even last the whole episode.  :(

ElisaFrakkin T
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Cure for Wellness!! Man, that looked AMAZING!
    MichelleKingKobra
    Didn't it though!  You've *gotta* see that for Bald Movies!  Or just for sheer enjoyment.  It looks SO good!!!
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Best episode of the season by a country mile.
    MichelleElisaFrakkin TNathanUnderwoodwildwildwhit
  • I agree that this was the best episode of the season so far. I do have a few complaints though. One, I wish they didn't say everyone died, this kind of "ruined" the surprise for the next couple episodes. Two, that they said epsidoe 10 will turn everything on its head again. So basically what I hope is that this isn't a documentary within a documentary within a documentary. Setting things up as they did before makes me think whatbisnreally real now ;)

Besides the above though I really enjoyed the second half of the epsidoe with the "live" story. They are stepping up the creepiness and gore which is a major plus. I am for once looking forward to next week and did feel like they ended it "short" (good feeling for me).
    ElisaFrakkin T
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    edited October 2016
    This was an amazing episode, and it accomplished a number of things. By ending season 1 and showing us season 2 they are mitigating a huge complaint about the first 5 episodes: There were no stakes because we knew that they weren't going to die. Now it's reversed: We know that all but 1 are going to die. You may say that's a weakness but I say this is American horror story, and the slasher flick cliche of seeing a group whittled down one by one until only the Final Girl is left is the most American of horror stories. They even followed the slasher movie trope of sex=death. (And how cool was it that they paid off that ridiculous idea of killing someone to spell out their favorite word!) 

Also I think we can let Kathy Bates off the hook for the accent. It's clear now that any fault to be found can be laid on Agnes as a terrible actress rather than Kathy Bates.

EDIT: Not to be falsely modest, I'll take credit for a prediction come true. This was my post on the thread for episode 1: 

"I think "My Roanoke Nightmare" is the show within the show, and that the real story eventually will be about the actors and actresses and production of it. Think about it: of the "real people" that are not part of the dramatic reenactment, only one of them is a series (semi-)regular and ALL of the stars of AHS are in the reenactment. I kept waiting for someone to yell "cut" and have the camera zoom out to show a production crew and the actors breaking character and I'm convinced it could still happen. "
    TaraC73Elisawildwildwhit
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    Noooooow were gettin somewhere!

This is what I have wanted to see all season! Actually going whole hog *sorry about the pun* into the reality TV setting. Scares were good, acting was great, and I am finally getting into the premise. 

It's wrinkling my brain to think of all the levels of meta going on, watching an actual fictional show about a reality show that's about a fictional show about real events...
    Elisawildwildwhit
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    edited October 2016
    Hmm, I don't know man, I just don't know. I can't get beyond the fact that Shelby, Matt and Lee are actually dumb enough to go back to the house during the blood moon! If I had seen and experienced the things that they had, I wouldn't go back there for any amount of money!

I wonder what is in store for the Polks, seeing as it was very conspicuously mentioned that they hadn't been seen for weeks. I hope we get to see Frances Conroy again in some capacity, obviously not as Mama Polk because the real one wouldn't be the same as the TV one! Same goes for The Butcher, I wonder who they would get to play her if the 'real' her appears at some point.

Hatorian
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    Dammit my girls have early release from school today so I'm not gonna be able to watch til late tonight at the earliest... grrrrrrr!
    I just had a thought - Lady Gaga's character was too important to not ever see Gaga again. What if she signed to the 'reality' show off camera, and shows up next episode or in the third episode of this iteration, and *she's* the one who survives?
  • NathanNathan Winterfell, The North, Westeros
    Is it too early to say that Sidney is probably going to get "Hotline Bling"ed like Gaga last season by the survivor?
  • amyja89 said:

Hmm, I don't know man, I just don't know. I can't get beyond the fact that Shelby, Matt and Lee are actually dumb enough to go back to the house during the blood moon! If I had seen and experienced the things that they had, I wouldn't go back there for any amount of money!

I wonder what is in store for the Polks, seeing as it was very conspicuously mentioned that they hadn't been seen for weeks. I hope we get to see Frances Conroy again in some capacity, obviously not as Mama Polk because the real one wouldn't be the same as the TV one! Same goes for The Butcher, I wonder who they would get to play her if the 'real' her appears at some point.

My read was that Lee is desperate for money and Shelby is desperate to connect with Matt again.  She deluded herself into thinking cameras would keep her safe.

I think Matt is utterly suicidal.  I think he went back to die, and that is why he will be the one to survive.
    amyja89UnderwoodElisa
  • amyja89 said:

Same goes for The Butcher, I wonder who they would get to play her if the 'real' her appears at some point.

I think "Agnes" will be playing the Butcher.  The Butcher is a double-ghost, her spectral body was burned.  

Agnes didn't have a mental break, she is being possessed by the spirit of the Butcher.  I think she actually is the Butcher at this point.

Would it be interesting if they had her accent be **perfect** when the Butcher takes over?  We've heard her raging as the Butcher, but not speaking.

It would be a very clever ploy if we were tipped off that she wasn't acting in that way, and if they had the terrible accent for that reason.
    Elisa
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    The one to survive has to be a woman: they'll stick to the slasher flick/final girl trope. 
    Elisa
  • HeffHeff Connecticut
    Sorry, but saying this is the best episode of the season isn't much praise, in my opinion. I enjoy the Roanoake setting and the ghosts/monsters, but I have a personal hatred of "reality" TV and it's making me hate the season even more than I hated the documentary bullshit earlier.

I can enjoy the idea of the actors and their counterparts having to survive together, but I honestly believe we could have limited the "documentary" stuff to a single episode and had it only showcase key moments in a really campy style; the ghosts would be a mystery to us now, and every time they appeared going forward would be surprising on a creep level, not just a jumpscare like Rory's death(?) was.

I want this season to turn around because I really love this show, but it's difficult to distance myself from the things I don't like about this season. It's particularly bothersome considering last season gave us Hotel, which I personally think is a contender for the best out of all the AHS seasons.
    Elisawildwildwhit
  • WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    Yes! This episode took my feelings of this season from good to great. I expected this type of story telling but was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Had a type of Paranormal Activity feel to it. Well the good parts of that series at least. I'm extremely excited to see how this plays out. It was cool to see that the real life actors were kind of assholes. I'm fine with the spoiler that only one survives because like others have said we could be introduced to more characters soon. There's no way Gaga doesn't make an appearance when the witch she plays is the root cause of all this.
    I'll refrain from commenting on how this compares to the other seasons until this one is over but it's certainly climbing.
    Elisa
    edited October 2016
    EDIT - Ignore me, made a speculation that has since been proved untrue lol.
    TaraC73
  • amyja89 said:

EDIT - Ignore me, made a speculation that has since been proved untrue lol.

Ignore who?
    TaraC73amyja89
  • Wow, that was pure garbage. Worst episode of AHS ever. I actually love the show, but that was awful. Shame, shame, shame!
    Also, WHERE'S THE GOD DAMN CREDIT SEQUENCE?
    A_Ron_HubbardKingKobraTaraC73
  • amyja89 said:

Also, WHERE'S THE GOD DAMN CREDIT SEQUENCE?

Should we not be ignoring you now? Hmmmmmm I dunno....I will say I had the same thought ;)
    amyja89TaraC73
  • Michelle said:

I just had a thought - Lady Gaga's character was too important to not ever see Gaga again. What if she signed to the 'reality' show off camera, and shows up next episode or in the third episode of this iteration, and *she's* the one who survives?

I had the same question on why the hell Sidney or anyone on the production crew didn't mention Gaga when talking about the casting. They didn't even mention her behind the scenes where supposedly EVERYTHING was being recorded no matter how crappy it made the production team look (see Sidney telling them to continue on with production after the death of one of the crew members). 

Someone somewhere mentioned the idea that her character in the show was an actual spirit that only we the viewers saw on the TV, but I don't know, that raises way more questions on the continuity of everything.
    Elisa
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    edited October 2016
    gjulleen said:

amyja89 said:

My read was that Lee is desperate for money and Shelby is desperate to connect with Matt again.  She deluded herself into thinking cameras would keep her safe.

I think Matt is utterly suicidal.  I think he went back to die, and that is why he will be the one to survive.

I'll say this - if I were suicidal, I could find better way to go out than being chased around and eventually brutally murdered by ghosts. Although he obviously doesn't value his own life all that much, regardless of what his motivation is for returning to the house (woods witch?).

For Shelby and Lee, I think that anyone who has been through what they went through, witnessed what they did, and has natural human survival instincts, you would have to drag them back to that land kicking and screaming during the "blood moon" no matter how much money you threw at them. It seems like Lee Miller is going back to take up for herself because she said something along the lines of "no way in hell I'm going to let people drag my name through the mud on television without being on-hand to defend myself."  and they mentioned that she already profited greatly from the whole thing by publishing a book about it.

Now, if they had ended episode 5 with all of the ghosts seemingly being "killed" or neutralized somehow instead of a flaming Kathy Bates chasing them off them land, I could see them more realistically getting over their PTSD and risking it for a boat load of cash.

That all being said, it doesn't diminish the episode for me. I just kind of expect illogical and unrealistic behavior is horror movies and shows to make it more dramatic. Not much drama in Shelby being like "ehh, I really want to talk to Matt, but not as much as I want to not be gutted. So you all go ahead and have fun with being murdered. Thanks, but no thanks."
    Hatorian
    edited October 2016
    Watched last night, in my car in a dark back corner of the hockey rink parking lot. I was very scared; there are woods behind where I was parked, and behind the woods is a river which was pretty tough because of recent rain. Quite a backdrop LOL!!

Anyway, I thought it was an awesome episode! PROPS to @Frakkin T for calling the show within a show within a show thing back at the premier! I really like both of the story telling methods (the actual reenactment show and the show about the show) though I call BULLSHIT on Shelby, Lee and Matt (the real ones) ever going back there because fuck that!! BUT that aside, I'm really digging it and can't wait to see how scary next week will be!
    Frakkin T
  • Did anyone else see the mob with the torches behind the hot tub when Evan Peters first heard Sarah Paulson scream from the bathroom? I really thought that might be something more to come but NOPE. At least the nurses are creepier than the actors who portrayed them and they can spell MURDER now. Overall, good episode but I'm waiting to see the return of Jessica Lange. Agnes all but told us she's going to come back with her "canon" line about the two female roles.
    manhattnik
  • I like that the "real" version of the ghosts are far creepier than their re-enactment counterparts.  Also I could watch Kathy Bates menacing people on Hollywood Blvd. all day.  That said, I'm not crazy about the fact that Sarah Paulson got infected with bad accent disease.  
    amyja89TaraC73Elisa
    edited October 2016
    Sorry @Cecily, but...  (Sept. 30th in the Chapter 3 thread)   :)

"Does anyone else think there's a possibility that, since Lady Gaga's
    character seems to have witch-like powers (for instance, putting Matt
    into a trance and getting him to f**k her, then completely ensuring he
    had no memory of it and making Kathy Bates immortal when she ate the pig
    heart, etc), she just may be the ultimate Supreme relating to the Coven
    season?"

Cecily
  • jomihajomiha Springfield IL
    A. Ron is the Beyoncé of mispronunciation.
    Did anyone notice the hearing aid in Kathy bates ear when she was being interviewed by Sidney? I wonder what that's for... ear piece for producers to talk to her or if she really wears one?
    I think that's the ear piece that they use for the producers to be able to speak to her, give her feedback or instruction, etc.
    KingKobra