Hamilton

So just wanted to gauge the boards, any other fans of Hamilton on here? I vaguely remember the guys talking about it on a lunch a few months ago, but I don't remember seeing much about it at the time. I first heard the soundtrack early last year and I was absolutely blown away. I still listen to it regularly.
darwinfeeshygjulleenElisaApril_May_June

Comments

• edited October 2016
    Yeah, Hamilton's pretty amazing. "Satisfied", "My Shot", "Schuyler Sisters", and "Take A Break" are my favorite tracks, but every song is great and I usually just listen to it in order.

Miranda is one of the greatest lyricists of our time, and all of the homages to famous rap songs are nice Easter eggs. "I'm past patiently waiting, I'm passionately smashing every expectation, every action's an act of creation" is probably one of the craziest lines ever. Miranda does a great job of crafting a gripping, and mostly factual, story out of American history, and the subversion of having a primarily minority cast is nice, especially since it's hip-hop.

My only gripe is that Miranda's voice isn't that great, so it seems a little narcissistic of him to put himself in the lead role. But the dude wrote it, so I guess it's deserved. And Phillipa Soo's voice blows me away every time.

Hopefully I'll be able to catch it on its national tour. 
    10/10 musical

Degausser24gjulleenElisa
  • Yeah, Hamilton's pretty amazing. "Satisfied", "My Shot", "Schuyler Sisters", and "Take A Break" are my favorite tracks, but every song is great and I usually just listen to it in order.

Miranda is one of the greatest lyricists of our time, and all of the homages to famous rap songs are nice Easter eggs. "I'm past patiently waiting, I'm passionately smashing every expectation, every action's an act of creation" is probably one of the craziest lines ever. Miranda does a great job of crafting a gripping, and mostly factual, story out of American history, and the subversion of having a primarily minority cast is nice, especially since it's hip-hop.

My only gripe is that Miranda's voice isn't that great, so it seems a little narcissistic of him to put himself in the lead role. But the dude wrote it, so I guess it's deserved. And Phillipa Soo's voice blows me away every time.

Hopefully I'll be able to catch it on its national tour. 
    10/10 musical

Yeah his voice is probably the weakest of the cast, but I think Miranda's real life frenetic energy and optimism colors that character and embodies the spirit of Hamilton. Chris Jackson sings the damn lights out as Washington. He totally projects the strength and wisdom of GW while still wrestling with the contradictions of the man (owning other human beings being primary amongst them). 

On a seperate note, did anyone in here watch Hamilton's America on PBS? It was an amazing making of documentary that aired tonight. They interviewed a wide swath of people for it, every one from Bush to Paul Ryan to Elizabeth Warren and Obama. great overall. It's streaming for a limited time I think here http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/
    Elisa
  • Oh, you're not discussing Formula One then, are you?
  • Oh, you're not discussing Formula One then, are you?

Haha no, sorry. Not much of an expert on Formula One, I'm afraid.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I'm a very late to the party fan - finally heard it a couple of weeks ago and have been playing it pretty much nonstop since.
    Elisa
  • Dee said:

I'm a very late to the party fan - finally heard it a couple of weeks ago and have been playing it pretty much nonstop since.

mannnn the man is non STOP. Sorry, couldn't help myself.
    DeegjulleendarwinfeeshyApril_May_June
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    edited October 2016
    I think I have probably listened to the Hamilton soundtrack at least once a day for the last 6 months. I'm completely obsessed! It's coming to London next year and I can't wait!
    Elisa
  • yes, i like it although i'm not obsessed with it and i haven't listened to the whole thing in one sitting i don't think.  my wife is a big hamilton nerd though.
    Elisa
  • "my shot" is a great running song though, it's at the start of my running playlist.
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    edited October 2016
    I heard about Hamilton when it was first getting popular in new york, and as i love history, so a show about the founding fathers sounded great. Then I was told it was all rap music (which isn't really true) and I poo-pooed it. Because, well, I did not grow up with rap music, maybe some 90's gangster rap, but I was never into it, and was incredibly naive to it's influence and it's importance as an artform.

Then I watched the performance on the 2016's Grammys and was like OOOOOOhhh shit i was wrong. They performed the opening number and it blew me away, I watched over and over. Got the album, listened to whole thing in one sitting, and have been deeply, deeply in love with the show since then. And it's kinda stupid but, I know one of the draws of Hamilton is that it could get kids who aren't normally into musicals interested, well, it kinda had the reverse on me, it got me into rap. Kendrick Lamar, Kanye, Wu-Tang Clan, Childish Gambino - I was missing out on so much because I thought I didn't like it, I just had never been properly introduced. 

It lives up to the hype and then some. I will be going to see it live in LA come hell or high water. 

Favorite songs people?? The songs always vying for first place for me are Satisfied, Non-Stop, The Room Where it Happens and the Cabinet Battles. 
    ElisaDaveyMac
  • I am *obsessed* with this show! I love it so much!
    Watched the PBS special the other night - it was fantastic!
    And I'm seeing the Musical in Chicago in May! I'm so excited!
    Elisa
  • My wife and I decided to splurge on tickets as they were somewhat coming down in price in late August and we got to see Hamilton.  I hadn't listened to any of the songs going into the show and I was quite aware of the hype of the show.  Going in, I was extremely cautious as there have been plenty of times where I've sat down to watch a movie or a tv show that was hyped as being awesome and possibly the best of all time and such and after I've watched things I've though, "yeah, it was good but it wasn't that good".  And so watching Hamilton from our seats, I started to get that feeling as the show first was starting.  That it was good but it wasn't living up to the hype.  Then, as the show progressed, I started to really enjoy it more and more and by the time the 2nd act started, I can honestly say that yes, Hamilton does live up to all the hype/billing.  It is simply phenomenal.  By the time I saw it in theater, some of the original cast has stopped performing but even the backups were awesome.  If you get the chance to see it (as I know it's opened up in Chicago now and I think it's going to do a tour within the US), I would say it's totally worth seeing. 

April_May_June