516 - felina

I was just listening to the Insider podcast for 516 and Gilligan is talking about how he initially was going to have Skyler go off with Walt and the disappearer guy and have them holed up in a motel... show Walt talking to her while she's locked in the bathroom, he says "it's going to be ok skyler ok?" And she doesn't answer him so he busts open the door and she has killed herself in the bathtub.

That would have been EPIC!!! I'm still team Fuck Skyler.

Comments

• amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    Would have been a powerful ending no doubt.

The whole Skyler hatred thing never really did it for me, sadly it took on a whole life form of its own and much like the recent Ghostbusters controversy the valid criticisms of her character got lumped in with the horrible misogyny about the actress's weight and all other kinds of bullshit!
    Murderbear
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    No way!!! I had no idea -- I only recently watched BrBa when the guys did their rewatch. I've got no beef with the actress, she's amazing! I hate Skyler; hated her from the sad birthday hand job all the way through to thr end >:-|
    Of course it wasn't all (or even most) Breaking Bad fans, but as usual the louder, harsher voices were always the ones that the media picked up on and the whole thing started to snowball week by week, the actress even started to receive death threats! 

Makes me wonder whether Gilligan changed his mind about Skyler's fate because it wouldn't have been a particularly attractive look for a show's fanbase to be seen to be celebrating her suicide, which some extreme haters would inevitably have done!

Holy shit! That's hardcore!

I cheered when Lori died (after I finished bawling thanks to her goodbye speech to Carl) and also at Andrea's death. They were awful! I would have cheered if skyler killed herself (or was killed by Gus or someone else) because she was a bitch to Walt when all he was trying to do was provide for her and the kids.

• TaraC73 said:

I was just listening to the Insider podcast for 516 and Gilligan is talking about how he initially was going to have Skyler go off with Walt and the disappearer guy and have them holed up in a motel... show Walt talking to her while she's locked in the bathroom, he says "it's going to be ok skyler ok?" And she doesn't answer him so he busts open the door and she has killed herself in the bathtub.

That would have put my jaw to the floor. I never thought of Skylar as someone that would do that, though. To me, she was too strong and loved her family too much for that. 
    Dummy said:

TaraC73 said:

That would have put my jaw to the floor. I never thought of Skylar as someone that would do that, though. To me, she was too strong and loved her family too much for that. 
    Yup, me too. :)
    TaraC73 said:

Holy shit! That's hardcore!

I cheered when Lori died (after I finished bawling thanks to her goodbye speech to Carl) and also at Andrea's death. They were awful! I would have cheered if skyler killed herself (or was killed by Gus or someone else) because she was a bitch to Walt when all he was trying to do was provide for her and the kids.

Woah, you cheered Andrea's death? Admittedly it's been years since I watched the show but I don't remember her being deserving of death? Have I forgotten something big?
    Oh wait, are you talking about The Walking Dead? Haha sorry if you are! I thought you were referring to Jesse's GF Andrea! I've never seen a single episode of TWD so I got confused! :-P
    TaraC73
    Lmao!!!! Yes TWD!!!!! Hahaha that's funny!! Was her name Andrea too? You're talking about the girl with the little boy, right? Hahaha!!!
    amyja89
    Lol yeah her, I was thinking wow that's some stone cold shit to have cheered her death haha! ;-D
    TaraC73
  • @TaraC73 is the Ice Queen!! Haha! Seriously though, I didn't cheer but I did do the meme kid fist pump when both Lori and Andrea died in TWD.

As far as Skylar goes, I remember hating her while I still liked Walt but as my opinion changed on Walt it also shifted on Skylar. It was like this tipping scale of emotion as the series went on for me.
    amyja89TaraC73
    I hated her less at the end of the show, but not much less. I liked Walt a lot less at the end! And liked Jesse way more :)
  • I think hating Skyler works until you realize Walter is a disaster.
    She was a downright BITCH to him from the get go when she found out - all he was doing was try to keep her secure when he died. She was having no part of even trying to understand him.
  • WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    This is the debate I love getting into. He was involved with drugs. Not a dealer but damn near almost one. By doing so he put his life and his families life in danger. I think she had every right to react the way she did. Especially considering that he could have worked for Grey Matter. Almost certain he could've gotten the same treatment and built a decent sized nest egg for them. Maybe not millions but a decent amount. 
    Instead he was considered responsible for so much more. 
    DeepavlovsbellDaveyMacmylifeaskirk
    Yeah I agree with @WonderedObject, I never saw Walt's ventures as a noble attempt to provide for his family, especially when there were other options on the table for him to do just that. In my opinion, his descent in to Heisenberg was a complete ego trip sparked by the fact that he was told he had a terminal illness and he subconsciously knew that he wouldn't have to suffer any consequences if his immorality for too long.
    pavlovsbellDaveyMacDee
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited October 2016
    Walt presents his attempts to provide for his family as a reasonable strategy and we go along with it initially because it's cool to see someone playing by their own rules and figuring out how to be smart enough to painlessly get away with it, no muss, no fuss, no one needs to be hurt except people who use the drugs anyway.  Then, you think about it independently for a second and you realize how dumb his idea truly was and how crazy Skyler was to play along with it.... 
    DaveyMac
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    In all fairness, though, Skyler only plays along with it because of how misrepresented the story in initially is. Walt gives a VERY truncated idea of what he is actually doing. Its not until the fourth season, I think when she has a better grasp for what is going on. 
    hisdudeness915pavlovsbellamyja89DaveyMacDee
  • It has always seemed to me that rewatchers of Breaking Bad (including myself) have generally disliked/despised Skyler less after the original view-through of the series, when one can, perhaps, be a little bit more objective about how much Walt gets into in the space of a few months. When sitting back and simply taking in the series again, knowing exactly where it's going, it is much more obvious how deluded Walt becomes.
    WonderedObject