AT&T Reaches Deal To Buy Time Warner (including HBO) For More Than $85 Billion

MichaelGMichaelG Seattle
edited October 2016 in General
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/10/22/498981016/reports-at-t-will-buy-time-warner-for-more-than-80-billion

"AT&T is a major provider of internet, wireless and telecommunications services to millions of people. By acquiring Time-Warner, owner of CNN, HBO and Warner Bros. studios, it will have access to a vast library of content that includes the Harry Potter franchise and "Game of Thrones."

The merger comes at a time when consumers—especially young ones—are increasingly eschewing cable TV and watching programming on their smartphones and wireless devices.

In its statement AT&T said the deal would leave it better positioned to capitalize on the changes.

"The new company will deliver what customers want — enhanced access to premium content on all their devices, new choices for mobile and streaming video services and a stronger competitive alternative to cable TV companies," the statement said."

I'm by no means an insider or an expert on how business is done within either company or the media in general.  But, hopefully this doesn't end up having a net-negative impact on HBO programming.  Even though HBO has been in somewhat of a original content lull ratings-wise (until WestWorld), HBO has been a great protector of creative freedom for decades. 
ElisaTravis

Comments

• WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    If anything I like to think this would mean more money for hbo. In turn, they should put out even higher quality programming. If that's possible. This might be good news considering Westworld cost 100 million.

I'm glad to see that they understand that young folks are cutting cable.
    MichaelGTravis
  • Good point, I hope that's the case. Sometimes (most of the time), more money invested equates to less creative freedom for the artists involved. Time will tell.
    WonderedObjectTravis
  • I swear to god, if they water down HBO shows to reach a wider audience.....

I can already see it. Endless Game of Thrones spin-offs... Tons of hokey, Marvel-Netflix-show PG-13 "grit"....

:'(
  • I honestly doubt this deal will go through, hard to see how it doesn't violate antitrust laws. ATT are direct competitors with TWC for both Internet and cable since ATT owns DirecTV and has their own cable with U-verse. They say they don't compete in the same markets but that's horseshit, ATT and TWC are the only internet providers in my city aside from the few Google Fiber neighborhoods.
    Elisa
  • LukeLuke Central Illinois
    ATT sucks but Time Warner hasn't exactly been killing it recently either.

The DC movie line is in the shitter.

The Harry Potter movies are concluded, I don't think spinoff films are going to be as popular.

As far as actual telecom goes both have horrible reputations.
  • EMAW42 said:

I honestly doubt this deal will go through, hard to see how it doesn't violate antitrust laws. ATT are direct competitors with TWC for both Internet and cable since ATT owns DirecTV and has their own cable with U-verse. They say they don't compete in the same markets but that's horseshit, ATT and TWC are the only internet providers in my city aside from the few Google Fiber neighborhoods.

TWC was "sold off" awhile ago in the Charter/BrightHouse merger. So I don't believe the actual cableTv holdings are involved.
    MichaelG
  • Yea, from what I understand, Time Warner and Time Warner Cable are somehow different and/or separate entities.