Bald Move no longer an Amazon Affiliate

A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
edited October 2016 in General
Hey everyone, Amazon terminated it's affiliate program with Bald Move last week. We were in technical violation of a few points on the affiliate agreement, but I think the bottom line is we were making too much money for too little apparent gain.  I say this because we've made a few phone calls and sent a few emails stating that we've always made a good faith effort to direct people to Amazon's services in an appealing and engaging way, and are more than willing to make the changes necessary to be in compliance with their program, yet  they've declined to work with us. I've long questioned how long Amazon would continue essentially funneling free money to content creators as their traditional advertising kicks in, and for us, the answer is, "up until last week."  Effective immediately, all affiliate links are broken, and if they aren't broken, they're not actually generating any income for us.

Now, obviously, this is a pretty big blow to us.  Amazon represented about a third of our operating income, and it's going to hurt until we find a replacement for this.  Plainly stated, if we can't find a replacement for this income, it's a threat to us continuing on with business as usual.  On the other hand, we're not exactly panicking at Bald Move HQ, as we think there are several ways we can turn this into an opportunity.  We've never been comfortable relying on money that is beyond our control, so long term, this will only be good for us.

DO NOT SEND AMAZON ANY NEGATIVE OR "HATE" MAIL REGARDING THIS MATTER.  It won't change anything, and the last thing I want to do is burn a bridge with a giant internet company that is getting more and more involved with content creation. While we're disappointed in their decision, they're perfectly within their rights to make it, and we're taking this professionally. 

We've got more info coming out later this week.  We've been promising a deeper look at our financials for awhile now, and this seems like an excellent time to, as Burt Cooper would say, "open up our kimonos".  But until then, don't panic.  Bald Move will be around for as long as people see it worth supporting.  And much thanks to everyone who has supported us with Amazon up to this point.  It was our first way to generate money, and it along with Kickstarter were the seeds we used to grow us to the point where we are now, which continues to amaze me on a daily basis. 
voodooratBrawnMichelleGredalBeeTaraC73DaveyMacDeeFlashGordonadobo1148Original_Josephand 6 others.

Comments

• That's unfortunate. I'll continue to support Bald Move in every way I can.
    TravisMurderbearJmessmer12@gmail.com
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Really regretting not titling this "Bezos Strikes Back".
    MurderbearTravisKingKobraBrawnMichelleDaveyMacFlashGordonTheEconomistGeorgehypergenesband 4 others.
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Yeah, he probably listened to the Lunch last week. You guys were hitting his Blue Origin pretty hard!
    Travisahauntedworld
  • Sorry to hear that, man. Glad you guys have it in perspective, but it's terrible that you have lost such a lucrative stream. I can only speak for myself, but if you guys upped the subscriber fees I would gladly pay it.
    Murderbearphoenyx1023hisdudeness91536Mick
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH

Yeah, he probably listened to the Lunch last week. You guys were hitting his Blue Origin pretty hard!

Heh, we found out just the day before.
    Murderbear
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    This is such a bummer. Up until now i have been buying Funko Pops guilt-free knowing that I was supporting independent podcasters, but now I have no excuse.
    TaraC73hypergenesb
  • man, our fire tv stick just broke too.  boo, amazon.
  • Travis said:

Sorry to hear that, man. Glad you guys have it in perspective, but it's terrible that you have lost such a lucrative stream. I can only speak for myself, but if you guys upped the subscriber fees I would gladly pay it.

Co-sign.
    Travisanubus21hypergenesb
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I knew my PlayStation VR purchase with Amazon via Bald Move would push things over the edge! You can blame me guys.

But seriously--what a bummer! I'm sorry to hear that. Put me in the same pool as @hisdudeness915 & @Travis , I'd be happy to give more monthly.
    FlashGordonTravis
  • FernNYC17FernNYC17 New York, NY

I knew my PlayStation VR purchase with Amazon via Bald Move would push things over the edge! You can blame me guys.

But seriously--what a bummer! I'm sorry to hear that. Put me in the same pool as @hisdudeness915 & @Travis , I'd be happy to give more monthly.

Same here
    Travis
  • I guess the point isn't to second guess Amazon on this, but I'm seriously confused as to why they'd want to cancel an affiliate if they were too successful. Isn't the point to direct people to sales on amazon.com? 
    MurderbearTravisnotgotcha
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Yeah, count me in with those who are confused by this decision on their part. I'll still continue to support you any way I can.
    Travis
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I am not an accountant by any stretch of the imagination, but if the bean-counters did the math and realized that the folks who bought things through a BM Amazon link were just as likely to still buy from Amazon regardless of it being directed there by BM then that is just more money Amazon is having to send to Bald Move. Sorry, that came out convoluted. 
    A_Ron_HubbardTravis
  • What exactly were the terms of being an affiliate that you were "breaking"?  Not getting people to buy stuff from NON-Amazon sites?  Jeez.
  • I am not an accountant by any stretch of the imagination, but if the bean-counters did the math and realized that the folks who bought things through a BM Amazon link were just as likely to still buy from Amazon regardless of it being directed there by BM then that is just more money Amazon is having to send to Bald Move. Sorry, that came out convoluted. 

Thing is, some folks will use Amazon Smile or something similar affiliate anyway.
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited November 2016
    Yes, but Amazon wants to donate to charity. They apparently don't want to donate to Bald Move. I bet they know they have Prime members locked in so every time a Prime member uses an affiliate link, it's a waste of money for Amazon.

I am not an accountant by any stretch of the imagination, but if the bean-counters did the math and realized that the folks who bought things through a BM Amazon link were just as likely to still buy from Amazon regardless of it being directed there by BM then that is just more money Amazon is having to send to Bald Move. Sorry, that came out convoluted. 

Thing is, some folks will use Amazon Smile or something similar affiliate anyway.
    TheEconomist
  • Yes, but Amazon wants to donate to charity. They apparently don't want to donate to Bald Move. I bet they know they have Prime members locked in so every time a Prime member uses an affiliate link, it's a waste of money for Amazon.

Should consider this podcast a charity, a man's gotta live, man!
  • Should set up a new site called baldmoves.com and have people use that affiliate link
    z74al
  • LukeLuke Central Illinois
    I'm sure there is a cutoff to a point where if a Podcast or whatever gets big and mainstream enough they pull the plug.

There is a reason you don't see any of the top ten podcasts primping amazon links I think.

This is shitty news, but more growing pains I think than the sky falling.

Keep your noses to the grindstone and keep churning out content.

I for one would love a frank brakedown of how much more the average club member would need to give to make things more stable.

I trust you guys are not blowing this money on hookers and blow, but it would be an easier sell to the wife to say "the bald move guys need $3 bucks a month or they might go under see here's the math" rather than to just up my sub for no apparent reason.

Not trying to belittle what you guys do, it's probably the best value on the internet. But I've got four kids and any disposable income is pretty well accounted for.
    Toolowbrow
  • That's a shame. The Amazon ads were some of the funniest.
  • Agree with the others I'd be open to a larger subscription
    Travis
  • Really sorry to hear that. Next time I re-up my membership I'll definitely toss more than the minimum into the hat.

Thanks for the transparency, hard work, and the great tv coverage.
    Travis
  • Wellp, my incentive to buy shit from Amazon just went way down
    Travis
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited November 2016
    And to think, I was just about to use Amazon to buy everyone in my family Patek Philippes for Christmas.

Seriously though, never like hearing about a business losing a revenue stream. You guys will come up with something to offset it, but in the mean time, put me in the "I'll pay more" camp.
    Travis
  • Luke said:

I for one would love a frank brakedown of how much more the average club member would need to give to make things more stable. 

Ditto. I'd gladly contribute more than my dollar-per-month to know that I'll continue to get honest, well-produced and entertaining content. Please just let us know what we need to do. Your Club Members are here to support you!
    TravisAliciavp214George
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    There's another podcast I listen to, called Now Playing. They are 100% free all the time but they do 2 donation drives per year, where you donate and you get bonus podcasts that go out only to donors. Silver ($10-20) gets you 1 series of podcast reviews, Gold ($20-$30) gets you 2 or 3, and Platinum ($30-$40) gets you all the bonus podcasts for that drive. I know you guys are genuinely averse to content behind paywalls, but they make the point that there is SO MUCH free content already and this is a special thank you to donors. Also can you imagine how much fun Jim and A.Ron would have hyping a podcast that will only be available for a short time then disappears into the vault? 
    FlashGordonMichelleTravishypergenesbGreg
  • FlashGordonFlashGordon Leeds, UK
    edited November 2016
    I'm in favour of either, higher subscription price or annual/biannual fundraising drives, but much more the latter. Combined with more advertising bill burr does this pretty well, no one likes ads ,but they pay and hey you can just skip.  

There will  be a significant number of latent bald move fans who think, while the content is flowing it's all good and no need to join the club, but actually threaten to take it away, unless they can actually help out with a few dollars - they'll jump in.

Which is not a bullshit proposition either, you legitimately need revenue to keep the ship sailing and i've alway felt you should push the line harder that "this will shut down unless you do something" its powerful and true - but I work in sales and marketing so am perhaps a little more brash on that stuff.

I'm gutted for you guys, it's great to hear future plans for the bald move empire and this has got to be the biggest 'spanner in the works' so far, but not insurmountable.  Remember you're both hugely talented and have a giant community that wants you to succeed,  this will, just be a shit hiccup in hindsight

And how the fuck is Dan Carlin still getting away with this then, not that I don't want him to but he's got to be milking Bezos dry.
    Michelle