We Need Your Help -- Video

Comments

• MrXMrX CO
    edited November 2016
    You should definitely put out a short GoT cast with the call to action, to reach your biggest audience segment. Maybe do a quick off-season speculation discussion just to whet the appetite along with the pitch for the Club.

To retain more members, you should have something pop up on the main page and on the forums when we visit the site and our accounts are expiring, probably would get more responses than just through email notification.

I also agree that getting more involved with Twitter could help build out your audience and club memberships. Twitter seems to have a very robust tv industry/critic/audience community that all interact, and there might be some value in you guys more actively participating that "community." I think the forums are great , but I'm guessing that they only involve a small % of your audience, and considering the #'s you pull in during big tv seasons I bet you could add a lot of exposure through Twitter.

gjulleenTravisabstractjasonAntManBeeGeorge
  • hisdudeness915hisdudeness915 Atlanta, Ga
    edited November 2016
    Damn, that video was tough to watch. I must say I've been worried for you guys since you mentioned the Amazon thing. Anyways, I switched my subscription but it said it only charged me like $13. I guess it was prorated or something?? I went ahead and donated $50 too because I wanted to definitely do more than the $13. You guys are like family and have provided me countless hours of entertainment. I wish I could do more to help but I'm hopeful that others will come to the rescue as well because I would hate to see Bald Move go.Like others have said, I also think it would be a good idea to put something in every podcast feed. I'm sure there are a lot of people who don't even come to the forums or maybe just listen to a couple of the feeds that may still want to chip in and help. Just my 2 cents but thank you guys for all you do and thanks to everyone on here who has and will answer the call to keep this train rolling. Good luck guys!!
    DoubleA_RonDani_ArmindoGarrison66
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Ajas said:

First of all, this post should be at least a banner on the front page of the feed. Maybe caption it like "The officially official plea for help" or... "For less than a buck a week you can feed and clothe a podcaster. Just... not in person."  

Definitely this. I am super happy that you guys are already seeing donations and resubs roll in. I can only imagine it will increase if you had a link on the front page of the site. Add in throwing it on Twitter/Facebook/etc and I can't imagine it would hurt. 
    hisdudeness915DStar
  • edited November 2016
    I hope you guys can turn this into a positive. I will definitely be keeping up my annual club membership even with the new pricing. I can't contribute much more financially (clawing out of a minor hole myself) but I can offer free artwork for anything you may need. I posted some samples in the art thread. Maybe a Save Bald Move t-shirt?
    Anyway, all the best! Your casts are a valuable part of my workday.
    Dani_Armindo
  • Guys, as I was watching the video (and funny how it sucked me in as I originally wasn't going to watch all 36 min but I guess I'm a sucker for powerpoint slides), one question that popped into my head is what happens when GoT finishes up and goes off the air?  You mentioned a few times that GoT seem to be your biggest draw but it looks like GoT has only 2 seasons left (unless they go into a prequel type of show).  So, just wondering how that factors into the long term view?

Another question, what exactly is the point of the intern/new hire?  I would guess that since you're somewhat looking to cut costs at the moment, that expanding employees wouldn't be something you were looking at.

Also, had to laugh at the $100 a month on booze.  Guess you guys are follower of Bender's commandments "God needs booze" (and make it a double), :).

Either way, I'm on board for the $48 a year.

• Okay, I just chipped in for 2 shares of Dr. Strangelove.  I'm happy to do it, thank you for letting me know what the situation was.  I don't know if I would have ever participated in a commission podcast (unless it was Gremlins.  I would owe that to my 3-year old self), but knowing that it would actually help you made me want to.

I'm the kind of person who eagerly looks forward to listening to the podcasts you already provide (and the video walkthroughs as I've mentioned like 4 times in this post alone ;-)  ), and I'm always thrilled when someone commissions a podcast for a movie I have actually seen; however, I probably wouldn't have made the push to buy shares myself.  No reason not to, I would probably just wait for others to do it.

That's why reaching out is so important.  When I heard you guys advertising Harry's, I bought my Dad a membership for his birthday.  When you had the Amazon affiliate I made it part of my routine to hit your button first.  Now that I know that an extra $20 is vital today, I threw my money at a commission.

My point is, if people don't know you need help, they might blissfully continue their day without even considering doing something they wouldn't mind doing anyways.  

I don't know how much of the club sees the forums, but that only forum members can participate in them.  Has anyone said they would be irritated by a blurb at the end of podcasts?  I've been following both feeds and I don't think I've seen that.  Do a 60-90 seconds buffer at the end of each podcast to let us know how to help.  A quick "please spay or neuter your pets" sort of statement.

If I could afford to send you guys $100, I would do it today.  I am happy to upgrade my membership to the yearly, higher level when it renews and I was more than happy to buy something extra today.  I can only speculate that a large percentage of your audience feels the same.  Please, let us know.

You guys rock.  When I was going through a very, very dark time about a year ago your sink poooping exploits actually made me laugh.  I mean, I had to pull over in a Starbucks parking lot to listen to most of that Lunch because I was laughing so hard I was wasn't safe to drive.  I needed that.  I really, really needed that.  Thank you for letting us know that right now, there is something you need :-)

I know this doesn't necessarily fit with your beliefs, but I'm praying for you guys.  Good Luck
    JimTravisDani_Armindoksa1001
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Okay, we are definitely going to record a short call to action and release it in all of our feeds.  That's on the docket for next week, actually.  We also will be doing some sort of banner/ad on our home page as well.  We're just getting into the swing of things.  We got the bad news last week, we got the video recorded yesterday, this will ramp up, and we'll be giving lots of updates.  Obviously, we'll be also hitting our two big shows Westworld and TWD as well with some focused calls to action.

The reason we're looking for an entry level employee is right now on the average week Jim and I are maxed out on our available time to create new content.  If we had someone that could edit, do production on, and post the podcast and videos that would be a tremendous benefit and let us focus on more content.  In addition, having an extra hand around for merch and what not would be another time saver.  Finally, it's a must to get someone who wants also be an on-air personality, which will again, allows us to do, you guessed it, more content. Obviously, we won't be hiring anyone unless we secure out goals.  

As far as what to do when Game of Thrones finishes up, the fact is we've always had our whales.  Our first whale was Breaking Bad.  Then it was Walking Dead.  Then it was Game of Thrones.  Right now, Westworld, in it's first season, is running about about 50% of Game of Thrones traffic, and Walking Dead about doubled from last season's audience.  That is to say, Westworld has become our second biggest show in the first season!  So long as the Golden Age of television lasts, and we're smart about picking what we cover, I think we'll be in a rapid growth mode.  If the Golden Age ceases, then who knows what will happen.  I just don't see it happening in even a 5 year period.  If anything, I think it's just going to have more and more great television, it's going to further fracture audiences, and that's where we come in.  

And our smaller shows like The Leftovers and Fargo are actually way over represented with Club listeners.  I.e., even if they're not giants, they attract more Club members who see the benefit of us covering these smaller, more niche shows, and are more willing to support a good podcast than the mass-appeal of Game of Thrones, which has a million podcasts out there to satisfy that audience. 

Shows will come and go, but I think if we do our jobs right we'll always be able to find an audience that is watching something we can be passionate about and will appreciate the way we approach their favorite shows and movies.  
    SomeBiscuitgjulleenDoubleA_RonFernNYC17MichelleTravisDani_ArmindoGeorgeJTKIIIDaveyMacand 3 others.
  • @A_Ron_Hubbard I stopped the video 10 minutes in and immediately signed up for a yearly club membership. It is literally the least I can do with appreciation for what you guys do and who you are.

I'm not concerned about it now, but can someone post the feed addresses for the premium content? I tried pasting the ones on the website into beyondpod and it gave me an error.

I wish you both the best and I will continue to help in the ways that I can. Please keep us updated on how you guys are doing and if anything more can be done
    Travisbrewsevelt
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    FYI, we replaced the video with a new one.  It's slightly longer, but the video quality is much improved.  The data didn't change, but I replaced the percentages in the pie charts with money values, etc.  You don't need to watch the new one if you watched the old one, it's literally the same info.

@A_Ron_Hubbard I stopped the video 10 minutes in and immediately signed up for a yearly club membership. It is literally the least I can do with appreciation for what you guys do and who you are.

I'm not concerned about it now, but can someone post the feed addresses for the premium content? I tried pasting the ones on the website into beyondpod and it gave me an error.

I wish you both the best and I will continue to help in the ways that I can. Please keep us updated on how you guys are doing and if anything more can be done

The feeds can be found on your user page: https://baldmove.com/my-account/

There is a technical document that tells you how to enter the feed URL into your podplayer. 

If you still need help email us at support@baldmove.com!  And thanks!
    edited November 2016

Some people are volunteering services on this thread but it's getting kind of buried in the money talk. Maybe another (additional, not instead of) thread could be started for people to offer services. Get you guys a little boost in the short term until you have the funds to do the hires you want to do?

I would encourage people to email us at hosts@baldmove.com (some have already done so).  The forum is really a hard medium to track and follow up on stuff like this, our inbox is much more conducive to this.
    Travisabstractjason
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ok i switched to the $5 plan. but i cant seem to find how to switch to the yearly plan. A ron said that would be the best option for them earlier in this thread so i want to do it that way can someone help. thanx
  • MichelleMichelle California
    @A_Ron_Hubbard ; and @Jim ; I think you know I'm on your guys' side.  Like many others, I've been spouting the virtues of Bald Move and you two for a very long time.  I'll do anything I can to help.  In fact, I just sent a private message to ARon.
  • Think I'm going to be echoing the words of quite a few people on the thread already when I say that was a tough video to watch. I'll definitely be buying a few shares in Shutter Island later today and when renewal time comes around I'll be signing up at the new price.
    Travis
  • Sent you guys a email A-Ron. Please ignore this if you already got it. Got some strong skills in the editing department and massive sales experience. Got to keep Baldmove a float and I am very interested in join the team.
    MichaelVCassidyTravisNatter CastDani_Armindo
  • @A_Ron_Hubbard have you thought about maybe offering a bi-yearly option? $25 every 6 months might be a little easier for others to handle. The $48 at once isn't prob for me but just wanted to put something else out there... We won't let the ship sink!!
    TravisgjulleenbrewseveltDummyA_Ron_HubbardPavkey88notgotchaksa1001
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited November 2016
    Man, I'm so sorry that Amazon went sour. I knew the impact would be huge, but shit... That is way worse than I even imagined. Would a "Give Bald Move Another Chance" letter writing campaign to Amazon be something that you guys would be interested in? I know you explicitly said that you didn't want people sending them hate-mail, but what about a friendly request for reconsideration? Just a spit-ball thought.

I want to get right in and upgrade my membership, but at the moment I can't really do the annual all at once and I'm currently an annual subscriber. Would cancelling my old membership and re-signing up be a work-around? If not, I could donate the monthly fee but I'm a spacey kind of person and I don't want to forget to do it monthly until I can change my membership. It's just easier with the automatic sweep.

As is the case for my own life, I just wish I had more money. I really believe in you guys and what you do and that video was really tough to watch. You guys are the best there is, and dammit I'm just rooting for you as a couple of awesome, hard working dudes that I wish all of the success in the world to. I really hope this upgrade pans out at a really high percentage. 

EDIT: Nevermind on the subscription question. I just created a second subscription using a different e-mail address. All good on that front!
  • Just a random thought:

Can you have a sponsors list? A page on your site where people who have donated $X could have their name and a brief quote (subject to approval). I think Lovecraft had that as a tier in their Kickstarter.

That way you're not putting content behind a paywall, people can feel like they're getting something for their donation, and you can put a term on it: $30 gets your name on the wall for a year.

Once a year you could run a sponsor drive and market it. "Remember, if you want a year's worth of bragging rights, become a sponsor before December 31st to have your name on the 2017 Officially Unofficial Bald Move Honorary Owner List."

Would anyone go for that?
    Travishisdudeness915hypergenesbMichellePavkey88clone56MihaiColdRolled7George
    The thing is, I don't think you'd want to call it an Owner List, but rather a Donor or Sponsor List.  But that sounds pretty cool.  :)
    ColdRolled7
  • Pavkey88Pavkey88 Florida, the home of beautiful beaches and meth addicted face-eaters
    edited November 2016
    Hey guys, where is the 'donate' button? I don't have $50 to reup my membership this month, but I'd like to throw $25 your way for now... 

Nevermind, found it - it's on the shop page. thanks
  • gjulleen said:

Just a random thought:

Can you have a sponsors list? A page on your site where people who have donated $X could have their name and a brief quote (subject to approval). I think Lovecraft had that as a tier in their Kickstarter.

That way you're not putting content behind a paywall, people can feel like they're getting something for their donation, and you can put a term on it: $30 gets your name on the wall for a year.

Once a year you could run a sponsor drive and market it. "Remember, if you want a year's worth of bragging rights, become a sponsor before December 31st to have your name on the 2017 Officially Unofficial Bald Move Honorary Owner List."

Would anyone go for that?

Just make sure it's an option. I know myself, when I dontate money it's not to get my name on a wall. I'd much rather stay "anonymous" ;) Donations are not for a pat on the back, but to help support a cause I believe in.
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Just renewed $48/year - club bald move :-)
  • edited November 2016

"I would encourage people to email us at host@baldmove.com (some have already done so).  The forum is really a hard medium to track and follow up on stuff like this, our inbox is much more conducive to this."

Perhaps more seasoned members already know this but for any other noobs looking to contribute, the email address is actually hosts@baldmove.com.

I invoked the Mailer Demon. :O
    Travismvcpacheco
  • ArctorArctor The Netherlands
    edited November 2016
    Some quick questions:

How useful are the commissions right now? Is there a huge waiting list or can this help out? I've been wanting to put in a commission and this might be a good reason to expedite that decision...

Have you thought about ditching Libsyn and moving to another service?

And a quick tip:

Don't use Youtube for videogame content. Use Twitch, that's what it's for. Playing a lot of Destiny? > stream that stuff. Announce on Twitter. Get paid subs and donations. Refer back to the website from Twitch to lure visitors in.

Youtube is an isolation chamber more suited to post clips for people who already know you and vids you link to from external pages. Twitch is more about discovery for users.

Longform and live streaming on Twitch, cute or exciting short clips of things that happen during streaming on youtube.
    MichaelGAntManBeePavkey88
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    And donated $50 via paypal.  #SaveBaldMove
    hisdudeness915DummyTravisMichelleNikki
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    More club bald move podcasts, and less free is another suggestion.
    Michelle
    Loving the idea of the app - but don't make it free.  It should be minimum $1.99 in the Apple App Store and in the Google Play Store.  I can't wait to download it no matter how much it is.  :)
    hisdudeness915phoenyx1023ElisaDani_Armindoshameraveksa1001

@A_Ron_Hubbard have you thought about maybe offering a bi-yearly option? $25 every 6 months might be a little easier for others to handle. The $48 at once isn't prob for me but just wanted to put something else out there... We won't let the ship sink!!

That is a great suggestion.  I can't imagine not doing something like that.  I'll discuss it with Jim.  Shoot, might even do a quarterly option too.
    MichelleTravisgjulleenPavkey88George
This discussion has been closed.