We Need Your Help -- Video

Comments

• A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    DharmaBot said:

"I would encourage people to email us at host@baldmove.com (some have already done so).  The forum is really a hard medium to track and follow up on stuff like this, our inbox is much more conducive to this."
    Perhaps more seasoned members already know this but for any other noobs looking to contribute, the email address is actually hosts@baldmove.com.

I invoked the Mailer Demon. :O

Shit!  You're right!  I only got like, 90 minutes of sleep last night, so I'm a bit punchy.  Fixed the original comment.
    Arctor said:

Some quick questions:

How useful are the commissions right now? Is there a huge waiting list or can this help out? I've been wanting to put in a commission and this might be a good reason to expedite that decision...

Have you thought about ditching Libsyn and moving to another service?

And a quick tip:

Don't use Youtube for videogame content. Use Twitch, that's what it's for. Playing a lot of Destiny? > stream that stuff. Announce on Twitter. Get paid subs and donations. Refer back to the website from Twitch to lure visitors in.

Youtube is an isolation chamber more suited to post clips for people who already know you and vids you link to from external pages. Twitch is more about discovery for users.

Longform and live streaming on Twitch, cute or exciting short clips of things that happen during streaming on youtube.

As far as commissions, money is money, but we are pretty far behind, but so long as people understand the queue and how long it will take to get one we get paid the day you commission, not the day we actually do it.

Some of the ad deals we're looking at would require us to move away from Libsyn, but we really like Libsyn and they've been good to us.  Should we be forced to go pro, their bandwidth is about as cheap as you can get it.

Yeah, we certainly need to do more of our gaming on twitch.  We'll be doing a lot more Tell Tale style play throughs in 2017.  
    Michelle said:

Loving the idea of the app - but don't make it free.  It should be minimum $1.99 in the Apple App Store and in the Google Play Store.  I can't wait to download it no matter how much it is.  :)

I don't know if the $1.99 is worth the mental barrier to entry.  To us, the app is a way to make getting our content, especially club content, more convenient so it is more valuable.  It's free to download, but you unlock the premium version with your club username and password.  I'm pretty excited by the potential of the app.  It's such a pain in the ass to setup some of the nicer club features, and this will make it easy peasy. 

One thing that is a nice feature of the new system is it makes giving out gift codes pretty easy, so you can easily by a membership for a third party.  That would be great for christmas and birthday presents.  Also, we're considering ways of allowing fans to sign up for a higher tier, say $10 monthly, and generate a code they can give away to fans that can't afford the club.  Kind of buy one for me, one for you kind of deal.  Maybe there can be an exchange on the forum.  I don't know exactly what is technically possible with the new system yet, but it would be cool to explore some variation of this.
    MichelleMihaiMelia00427timechampsPLUSarodsucks
  • I love listening to you guys. I'm surprised to say the least. Is there no way amazon will reconsider? The details are probably complex but I imagine Amazon is being hard to deal with over nothing at all. I'm also surprised so many people think the $5 is expensive. I think it is extremely reasonable for the work you guys put in and the amount of content you produce. I've been at $5 a month since the club was created and I felt like I was being cheap. I will gladly increase my subscription price in addition to donating any additional I can.

Thanks to you both for the hard work and the honesty. I'm hoping like hell this is just a brief period of trouble.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Another podcast I listen to, TBTL, is funded via listener donations.

They offer tiered listener rewards for donations. Something like....$20 gets you a custom mug, $50 a mention in the newsletter, $100 a podcast shoutout.

Obviously you'd want to tailor the perks to your fan base. A shoutout on the GOT cast would be worth a pretty penny.

Make it a yearly fund drive and let your most supportive fans get something special.
    MichelleElisaDani_ArmindoPavkey88jrthebutler
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited November 2016
    Speaking of Kickstarter, what about a "Save Bald Move" campaign? I bet that could be a good way to not only raise some cash and maybe even spread awareness for the need of the club in order to keep things afloat. I imagine that Kickstarters are quite the task in coming up with and fulfilling the pledge rewards, but would it be worth it? Nice thought @akritenbrink.
  • ArctorArctor The Netherlands
    Just to throw it out there - maybe you already heard of it then ignore it - one of my fav podcasts Tofop left libsyn for Omny. Supposedly really cheap (like 99 a month for their top 'network' tier), Australian, young, hip and willing to work with their clients.

As a user through Android I have absolutely no complaints and supposedly they already have their own app so that might be a way easier way to develop towards a BM app.
  • LukeLuke Central Illinois
    @A_Ron_Hubbard amazon owns Twitch now

https://twitch.amazon.com/prime

I don't know how much of a cut channels get from the free sub Amazon gives away each month with Prime. But that would be one avenue for those of us who used the affiliate link to kick you guys some extra cash without actually doing anything.
  • hey guys, just wanted to say- I hope you are able to get over this hump. My sitch is that I don't really listen to much of the club bm premium stuff and could very well get by with the free content, but I have been listening to you since almost the get and for some reason I just really like what you do and your guys' take on the shows that I love and I try to support you as much as I can (that and I don't have a lot of friends). That said, the subscription increase is kind of a pinch. I had to think about it for a few secs before opting in;) All I got to say is- if things work out, I will be expecting great things from BaldMove :)

Seriously, good luck though.

If anyone is wondering like i was, when I re-subscribed at the new rate it just pro-rated and charged me the difference.
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    edited November 2016

I love and appreciate the transparency, it's yet another thing that makes Bald Move feel more like a community than the standard content provider/listener relationship.

I'll be coming back at $48, but admittedly slightly begrudgingly. It's not that I don't see the value in it, but it is a steep increase and I quite honestly don't take advantage of many/any? of the membership perks. I buy a membership simply to support you guys.

A FYI for your projections, you have models based on 90%, 75% and 50% retention rates.  When the price goes up x4 you should expect 1/4 retention rate.  I suspect in this case your retention rate will be much higher because the starting price was low to begin with and you've got a loyal group of listeners behind you.

I totally understand the immediate urgency of your situation, but a consideration for the future (and IMO a better plan for long term sustainability) would be to keep the membership rates lower (maybe $24 a year?) and focus on expanding the number of memberships sold.  You could couple this approach with doing membership and/or donation drives during peak times of interest...like your season preview episodes for GoT, TWD and now Westworld, use those preview episodes to expand your membership base and drive traffic to your social media.  I think long term growth will depend on expanding your membership base and I'm guess that a $48 cost will probably be prohibitive in that regard.

A suggestion for YouTube content -

When you do a first run movie review, do a quick out-side-the-threatre iPhone video where you discuss your expectations of the film (like 2-3 mins) and after the movie film another 2-3 min reaction/review to what you just watched and use that mini review to drive viewers to your more in depth podcast review, the website, forums, social media etc.  It would be a cheap/quick way of converting youtube viewers into podcast listeners and hopefully members.

voodooratDoctor_Nick
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Also what about an incentive - swag for getting a friend to join.  Honestly I don't mind ads.  I like the idea of charging a fee on apple for an app.  I normally listen to club bald move or live watches if I happen to be online and you guys post it on the forums or on facebook.

I would pay more too for you guys.  $10/ a month is normal.

• How about if you're a club member you get your GoT podcast released on Tuesday, nonclub free tier released a little later, say Thursday? Still free, still open. Many GoT podcasts I've seen release their cast of last week's episode on a Friday before Sunday viewing.
    Elisaclone56George

• How about if you're a club member you get your GoT podcast released on Tuesday, nonclub free tier released a little later, say Thursday? Still free, still open. Many GoT podcasts I've seen release their cast of last week's episode on a Friday before Sunday viewing.

i don't think you'd want to do days later, i think there's a freshness to tv that people want to hear discussion about it as soon as possible after the episode, i have a feeling that would hurt the public appetite for the podcast.  maybe a few hours later or something though.
    36Mick
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    voodoorat said:

How about if you're a club member you get your GoT podcast released on Tuesday, nonclub free tier released a little later, say Thursday? Still free, still open. Many GoT podcasts I've seen release their cast of last week's episode on a Friday before Sunday viewing.

Honestly, I think this is a great idea. I used to listen to a podcast that did this.

The spoiler casts and the live casts should be patrons only.  There needs to be more of an incentive for people to join Club Bald Move.

Can you guys offer a pay per podcast, for example, I only listen to The Leftovers, can I pay for this only per season?

• Also, had to laugh at the $100 a month on booze. 

I dunno....seems like serious business to me. Even Old Bill gets it.

Michelle
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Care package sent!
    FlashGordon
  • Ah, watched the new vid and seems like a t-shirt is not a real good generator. Pls disregard my email. 
  • Natter CastNatter Cast San Francisco, CA
    Just noodling ideas, but some of us who run other casts and have no ambition to monetize would be happy to offer additional content or premiums.

Like, we host a challenge to contribute to Bald Move against doing commissioned casts.

Our (much smaller and more humble) community owes much of its existence to Bald Move. The Bald Movement produces premium listenership and we're always happy to have you contribute to our shows.  And I know for a fact that I speak for more than just Natter Cast on that.

So...just spitballin'...but anything we can do to sweeten the pot and encourage you all to boost your contribution to Bald Move, we are happy to oblige.

Within reason.  No nudity.  That would be for your protection.
    MichelleTravisA_Ron_HubbardDummyFlashGordonCodyHarris821AmeliaGeorge
  • If I were you guys, I would release an audio version of this video to all of your podcast feeds. Let your audience know how to help...
    TravisNatter CastElisaAmeliajrthebutlerdaveksa1001
    Again, thanks to everyone for their feedback and support.  Just got back from Doctor Strange and there's so much to read and discuss, not to mention my full inbox.  I got to get this podcast spat and out, but I'll have some thoughts tomorrow morning.  And we're definitely on for Lunch tomorrow for the Club Members for more discussion and updates. 
    Natter Castgjulleenclone56Michelle
  • Just reading through this thread since video was released last night and the message is clear: Bald Move is dope and has every reason to get through this. Starting to wonder if this "crisis" will end up being a good thing for bald move. They say necessity inspires invention.... I'm pretty sure someone has said that somewhere but yeah could be a change for the good in the end.
    Natter CastFreddyMichelle36Mick
  • Tiffany said:

I love listening to you guys. I'm surprised to say the least. Is there no way amazon will reconsider? The details are probably complex but I imagine Amazon is being hard to deal with over nothing at all. I'm also surprised so many people think the $5 is expensive. I think it is extremely reasonable for the work you guys put in and the amount of content you produce. I've been at $5 a month since the club was created and I felt like I was being cheap. I will gladly increase my subscription price in addition to donating any additional I can.

Thanks to you both for the hard work and the honesty. I'm hoping like hell this is just a brief period of trouble.

I wish Amazon was reasonable but I know first hand that they aren't. I worked in sales for an Ecommerce software company for a while and dealt with businesses that were booted off Amazon. They aren't known for letting people back on or being reasonable. I remember talking to people who were booted for the most minor offenses and Amazon refused to ever let them back on. They are a juggernaut and do pretty much whatever they want, and no amount of ass kissing helped.

I will reup for the new price when my sub comes up for renewal, but in the meantime I donated the difference from my yearly subscription to help now. And I'll try to swing another commission soon when my fiancé has her back turned ;)

Also, if y'all need help try to get advertisers or anything like that I'm happy to help for free since I have a sales background. Even thought about talking to my boss to see if our beer mag would want to advertise for one of the regular shows you do since you have so many devoted listeners and it helps us get more visibility as well. Just let me know how I can help and I will! Much love to both of you guys!
  • MihaiMihai Timisoara, RO

Michelle said:

Loving the idea of the app - but don't make it free.  It should be minimum $1.99 in the Apple App Store and in the Google Play Store.  I can't wait to download it no matter how much it is.  :)

I agree, I would pay a small amount for an app. OR- A Kickstarter type campaign for the app where the reward is you get the app whereas others have to pay for it.

Sorry to spam the thread, but I think this would be a pretty bad idea. Realistically, the BaldMove app would not be an app which has 100.000 installs (not till GoT probably rolls, if even!) to actually make a good gain off it. So if there are about 5.000 Club Members - not all of them would buy the app but other people might. You'd still be with a few thousand subscribers at first - at most. Not all people on the Internet are like us - who listen to BM, who talk about BM, etc.

Secondly, the IDEA that you have to pay for an app is a pretty big deterrent for too many people. As A.Ron previously stated, actually. Heck, if I didn't know you guys I wouldn't buy the app even if it was $0.99. Even if I didn't know that the important content (show reviews) is available for free for the podcast app I already paid for. "There's an app by some podcasters I don't know? They charge for it? Nope."  The intention would be to get the app to as many people as possible! Of them, a fraction (realistically, probably under 10%) would actually keep it, a fraction of those that do buy into the club etc. Put any price for the app and the quantity of people who install it in the first place decreases significantly.

The best thing BM could do now if they have access to a genie would be to ask it so that "10 million more people would listen to 5 different episodes of our podcast!". Of those 10 million maybe 1 million would stick around. Of those maybe 10 or 100.000 would actually give a damn about the club. That's the direction the guys probably want to go. Exposure. Popularity snowballs - as seen in the GoT numbers or in the total download numbers (time to 1 mil vs time to get to 5 mil - 10 mil - 20 mil; the time decreased even if the numbers double). So I'd suggest everyone divert energy from thinking about how we as Members might give an extra buck to how to get unknown people to listen to the cast and give the first buck.

We'd be better off probably sharing things on FC, Twitter, sharing funny bits of episodes we like, maybe sharing how interesting the Lunches are (btw Jim and A.Ron - the idea of having best conversation snippets from some of the shows on youtube, short 1-2 min movies, is brilliant. Those bring shares and people who haven't heard of you would see you for the first time and they might actually try to hear one of your pods. Then it's up to your winning personalities to kmake them stick around).

Sorry for the long rant. I know the length of this deters half of the people from even reading what I said, but I'm in a hurry and I don't function in snippet of ideas.
    Off-off topic, yesterday I met the first real person who had heard about BM! I didn't even bring it into discussion by name; it was epic. 
    36MickbrewseveltTravisMichaelVCassidyPavkey88
  • Sorry but selling the Bald Move app is a terrible idea, it would never scale. It must be "free" to allow users to see what they're not getting as a club member. 

As a regular non-club member you should be able to install the BM app and go to a 'feed' section or something where it shows all of the Bald Move feeds, where can select which ones to subscribe to. The Premium feeds can be Gold starred or whatever and when the user taps it explains that they must be a club member to subscribe to that feed, but show what it is, maybe have a preview feed of the first 10 minutes like you've done before with other feeds. 

But the point is they need to be able to see what they're missing out on and maybe get a taste of it, for free.
    Travishypergenesbnotgotcha
  • edited November 2016
    @A_Ron_Hubbard - For clarification, does money we put towards a commissioned 'cast now help you guys now, regardless of when it's released? I definitely intend to help you guys out, but my membership expires sometime in February, so I wanted to figure out if I should donate a little now and change to the new sub rate then, or change the sub rate now.

As far as ideas--I have no idea what is involved in bringing in other hosts for podcasts, a la Lunch a few weeks ago with Eric and Levi, but that episode was extremely entertaining. Maybe more "casual" episodes (Lunch, On the Rocks, Let's Play..., etc.) with guest hosts, to pad the lineup during the slow time of year? That stuff is already behind the paywall, right?
    MichelleDani_Armindo
  • mwspiakmwspiak Upstate NY
    I'll be back in for the $48 a year. I joined the club last January and I've been thinking for a while of throwing you guys a couple extra bucks in the form of buying a couple shares of a community commission or something like that. This basically just gives me the answer. I have no problem dishing out the $48. You guys are my favorite podcasters and the only ones I support or ever will support.

I found you guys from The Watching Dead during season 4 and I remember thinking 'why do these guys hate the show?' I didn't have much experience watching TV (I'm only 27) and It got me interested in other things you cover and because of you I found Game of Thrones, The Leftovers and Fargo.,,then Jim made a comment during the baldies that if "someone hasn't watched Breaking Bad by now that there's probably nothing he can say to make them watch it" so I said to myself 'Challenge fucking accepted sir' and I watched the whole series as well as better call Saul and listened to all of the podcasts for both shows...so yeah you guys are worth $24 bucks each a year to me lol.
    DharmaBothisdudeness915Dani_ArmindoMelia004
  • I'll throw in my 5 cents from the perspective of a club member who is
    a moderate podcast consumer. Currently, I'm following the Westworld
    podcast; I'll probably also listen to the Better Call Saul, Fargo and Game of Thrones podcasts. I don't listen to any of the premium content. I tried once out of curiosity, but I couldn't access the material, so I gave up. For me, paying $12 a year was a no brainer. When I received notification that my subscription had expired, I renewed without hesitation. I might consider $24 a year, but, to be honest, $48 a year makes me pause...

For the time being, I contributed $20 to hopefully help you in the short run. I think Natter Cast has a good idea. If you put together a bundle of attractive premium content, maybe with the help of other hosts, and sold that at a reasonable price, you'd probably raise enough to at least solve the short term problem.

Good Luck!
    Natter Cast
  • I have been giving you guys $5 a month since you went full time, so this is a no brainer for me.  Aron and Mad Brew took my podcast virginity with The Nights Watch podcast, so I will always have a special place in my heart for Bald Move.
    mvcpachecoPavkey88Michelle
This discussion has been closed.