Rami Malek to play Freddie Mercury

Comments

• edited November 2016
    Oh dear..... idk about this one.

Hopefully it works out. Rami is definitely a good actor, but idk if he's the best fit. I mean, I guess Rami's fair-skinned Egyptian features might make a good fit for Freddie's fair-skinned Indian features, but those bug-eyes...........

Sacha Baron Cohen is probably a better visual fit.
    MichelleWonderedObject
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    Here he is prepping with Michael Rapaport (time mark 18:45)

Oh dear..... idk about this one.

Hopefully it works out. Rami is definitely a good actor, but idk if he's the best fit. I mean, I guess Rami's fair-skinned Egyptian features might make a good fit for Freddie's fair-skinned Indian features, but those bug-eyes...........

Sacha Baron Cohen is probably a better visual fit.
    It's gonna be genius.
  • I read that Cohen dropped out because the surviving members wanted most of the movie to focus on them post Mercury death. If that's the direction they are going it's a hard pass for me.
    akritenbrinkMichelle

I read that Cohen dropped out because the surviving members wanted most of the movie to focus on them post Mercury death. If that's the direction they are going it's a hard pass for me.

Interesting, well he died way past their prime, so that would be kind of a difficult sell wouldn't it? I mean if I was watching a film about Queen I would expect it to be mostly based in the 70s. 

I don't know a ton about Queen or Freddie Mercury but I just think it's awesome that all these songs that were megahits, especially "We Are the Champions," which we heard 400000000000 times in  high school in the 80s in a Midwestern sports context are all really so SUPER GAYYYYYYYYYYYYY. 

I mean just watch this, think about high school football, and then think about Rami Malek. This brings me great joy.

• WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    Not many people fit roles so perfectly like Cohen fit Mercury. That's not a knock on Rami it's just man, I really would have loved to have seen Cohen. Kind of disappointing to hear he's no longer attached but hey maybe Rami can bring it. This is why they make trailers. 
    MichelleChinaski
  • Rami's a tremendous actor. My only thing is the great thing about SBC was that he (presumably) was going to sing on the soundtrack. I don't know that Rami (or pretty much any other actor) can effectively mimic Freddie's vocals.
    I feel like puking whenever I see Sacha Baron Cohen, honestly. haha
    Degausser24DeeElisa
  • DeeDee Adelaide

I read that Cohen dropped out because the surviving members wanted most of the movie to focus on them post Mercury death. If that's the direction they are going it's a hard pass for me.

Haha, what? Who cares about anyone in Queen other than Freddie? Oh, okay guy who's married to Angie from Eastenders, have your moment.
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited November 2016

I feel like puking whenever I see Sacha Baron Cohen, honestly. haha

It's because you're seeing him as Borat, not SBC. He's a truly talented actor and the man can *sing*. I offer his role in Les Miserables as evidence.

I am also concerned with this recast. SBC was perfect for this role. When I heard that the movie was being made with him in the lead, I was genuinely excited to see it. Now, not so much. I'm not a Mr. Robot fan, although I do admit that Malek is talented. I just don't think that he is right for the role of Freddie Mercury. Not to mention, he looks nothing like him.
    WonderedObjectFernNYC17
    But Sacha Baron Cohen created all those characters. He wasn't just playing a part for a paycheck. And he used to do all this gonzo stuff where he victimized people that weren't choosing to be involved. Ick, not my thing.
    DeeElisa
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I'm with you, Angie. I hate prank humour and he made his name on it.
    akritenbrinkElisa
  • MichelleMichelle California
    That doesn't mean he isn't perfect for this role. You might not care for him personally but it's undeniable that he is a natural fit. They shot themselves in the foot with the choice to replace him with Malek.
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Cohen is too controversial.
    Michelle said:

That doesn't mean he isn't perfect for this role. You might not care for him personally but it's undeniable that he is a natural fit. They shot themselves in the foot with the choice to replace him with Malek.

It's deniable to me. LOL
    Anyway, I guess we'll see! But I do think Rami Malek is a great actor who can find his inner Freddie Mercury. 
    Elisa
  • edited September 6
    OK, I concede, Malek looks pretty good as Freddie

Real Freddie for comparison:

Elisaakritenbrink
  • davemcbdavemcb Melbourne
    I think the part people are concerned about is the level of pure charisma required to play the Freddie role, there have been many people in Biopics that don't look like or sound like the character they played. Not everyone can go full Phillip Seymour Hoffman in Capote in terms of the total package. Rami does appear to be a great young actor and whilst he plays Elliott so well he does it perfectly with a lack of charisma that the character needs, SBC has the ability to pull the viewers eye to him. Yes he has done it with crass humour but I think he could hit both the look and sound of Freddie. 

I hope Rami does the part the justice it deserves because I would hate for this to be a failure of a biopic like Jobs was with Kutcher who nailed the look a Jobs without delivering any real connection in that movie. A lot more people will be annoyed with a sub-par Freddie than a sub par Steve Jobs
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @davemcb Rami Malek oozes charm and charisma in real life - I think he can do that side of it, no problem. He's switched off in Mr Robot because that's his character.

The only thing that bugs me is that he's so small. How tall was Freddie Mercury? He seems like a large person, but maybe I just have that impression because he was so in-your-face.
  • davemcbdavemcb Melbourne
    @Dee I haven't seen much of Rami outside of Mr Robot and smaller parts like Night at the Museum so I haven't seen that side of him even in real life. I did see one interview and he was talking in the same cadence that he does in Mr Robot so thats why I was hesitant on it. 

He is 2 cm shorter than Freddie according to the all powerful Google 177 cm to 175 cm but i guess he looks like a member of the lollipop guild on Mr Robot. I always thought Freddie was taller but I think most of the concert footage is shot from below making him look like a physical giant rather than the metaphoric giant
    DeeElisa