[OFFICIAL] Reaction to Top 10 TV of 2014 videos/podcast

A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
Jim and I did a bunch of soul searching and came up with a best/favorite list of television for 2014. Check it out! http://baldmove.com/tv-podcast/our-top-10-tv-shows-of-2014/

There's over four hours of content if you watch the making of content, but the podcast itself with the top 10 is a nice svelt 45 minutes. Enjoy!

Comments

• hypergenesbhypergenesb Atlanta
    edited January 2015
    I've only listened to the cast (not the debate, which I think will likely be the best part). Hope you keep doing these.
    FWIW, I kinda wish you would've done individual top 10s. A combined Top 10 seems unnecessarily forced, and doing individual ones would allow for more shows to be discussed, and add some individualization. I also feel like you needed an "on the bubble" or "honorable mentions" speed round, or maybe a "most hated/fav hate watches" section, where you can have some fun.
    p.s. If you ever need someone to throw down on Banshee for Bald Move TV, drop me a line. :wink:
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    edited January 2015
    Nice! Yeah, we thought it would be more fun to have to force compromises, and we thought it would be more gamey, honestly. We had veto rules, and force on rules, but we're just too damn congenial. I tried to pick fights with the bastard in the debate rounds, but he just wouldn't take the bait.

I was worried that doing two independent top tens would be to Firewall and Icebergy. Maybe I shouldn't have.
  • I don't think you're lists would be all that different, give or take 2 slots with variations in the order. If you have competing Top 10s, then you get to debate positioning, rationale, etc. I just like it when you give each other shit. Force compromise is boring. I get enough of that at home!
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY

p.s. If you ever need someone to throw down on Banshee for Bald Move TV, drop me a line. :wink:

I recently marathoned all of Banshee, and while it was touch and go for a while, mid-S2 captured me, and Season 3 episode 3 was one of the most impressive hours of television I've seen.

• AshleyAshley Atlanta, GA
    I'll admit, I stopped listening after you put Mad Men at #4, lol. But I think I can guess what the top 3 were, and I agree with the list overall. I'd clearly change the order, and maybe switch out Silicon Valley for Shameless or Veep. But sure.

I, too, think it would've been nice to venture into your individual lists. Even if only for me to decide which one of you I like more. Haha.
  • I liked the cast as well (haven't seen the videos). I too, would have liked to hear both lists individually. I get your concern about it being too Firewall and Iceberg-y, but it's just a pretty standard way to go about it in general. I like the back and forth of it, and like @hypergenesb said I particularly enjoy you guys giving each other shit too. Less compromise, more shit!

That said, I'll watch (or probably more so listen to since I'm at work) the youtubes today. I look forward to you attempting to pick a fight with Jim.
  • I hate watch TWD, and will continue to email / live thread post to prove it . . . but, I'd have TWD ahead of any comedy. Right around number 10. I hate laugh tracks.

I can't argue with your list or order otherwise. True Detective, GOT, Leftovers, Fargo - embarrassing riches. Carrie Coon.

I can't believe I watched/listened to two debate videos. You guys are like a bad drug, except you have not cause a divorce, health issues or bankruptcy. Yet.
  • broompersonbroomperson the Iron Islands
    Currently watching the making of. Jim your combover is immaculate. Will be back later to give my feedback on the list
  • Just finished both making-of videos. That was a lot fun. I really liked how you guys built that list. It would be hard to argue against most of it. Plus you inspired me to go and watch Silicon Valley and Newsroom.
    I think you mean me with the combover, haha. In my defense, I shaved my head years back, my girlf wanted me to grow it back out, and what are you going to do?
  • colleencolleen wisconsin
    Put me on the list of those who would love to hear your individual top 10's! That would be fun.

The only show I didn't love happened to be the one you guys put at #1. LOL Apparently I was the only person in America that thought it was pretentious and convoluted. Although, I did love the banter between Matthew and Woody, if for no other reason than to watch Woody's reactions. That was priceless. :smiley: Otherwise, I thought McConnaghy was over acting a lot. Like I said, I think I was one of the only people that felt that way. I wound up not even watching the season finale of TD, I felt so "meh" about it. Otherwise, agreed with the other picks and now you guys have me on the hook to check out Fargo and The Leftovers. I have 'em on my Amazon watchlist as we speak.

I agree with tom_g on the addictive quality of listening to your podcasts. I'm now listening to your voices just about every day in the car. hehe
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I liked the tightness of a single list, personally. Though I'm still going to watch the more meandering (I assume) YouTube videos.
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Give me the Jim vs A-RON feud any day. TWD is comedy gold like @tom_g said. :D
    BTW, Shayne, let me get caught up and I'd love to throw down on Banshee.
  • Suhweet. Let me know.
  • So many of the things you guys want to hear us talk about and debate are covered in the debate videos. I know, big shocker. I get that 3+ hours is a lot to get through though.

Maybe we can release our individual top 10s on the website in some form next year. The philosophy behind a single list was to have something kind of official for Bald Move as an entity. When you look at the big sites, that's how they do it. Not that that means it's the best way. I'm open to changing things up in the future.
  • broompersonbroomperson the Iron Islands
    Agree with pretty much everything other than Louie not being in the top ten and you put the Leftovers waaaay too high. The story wasn't that good and there was some bowlshit in there. Definitely cracks the top ten though. And A.Ron you HAVE TO cast Louie. Get Jim on that. Even if its just a 30/40 minute half assed cast just throwing shit on the wall and seeing if it sticks type cast. But you have to. I thought I heard something that this may be his last season
  • WarpFoxWarpFox Nashville, TN
    @Jim Jones is off his rocker about Boardwalk Empire, and I do think that The Leftovers gets more credit than it deserves, but otherwise I agreed with your list as a whole. Anyone who has 3+ hours to kill should definitely watch the two-part video debate, super entertaining and lets you see how Jim & A.Ron evaluate seasons & even entire series as a whole.
  • I’ve enjoyed House of Cards but I probably wouldn’t include it in the Top 10. I feel it would’ve worked better in a shorter season format, only 10 episodes or perhaps even 8. Some subplots were too convoluted and a bit boring (Zoe’s boyfriend, some of the political machinations that I fail to remember). I mostly keep watching for Kevin Spacey’s super entertaining performance as FU. BTW, have you guys seen this https://youtube.com/watch?v=gFk0T3ifF48 House of Cards/Game of Thrones parody?
  • hypergenesbhypergenesb Atlanta
    edited January 2015
    I'm with @Amelia - House of Cards is not Top 10 for me ... maybe not even Top 20. I think the show is a mess. It has the imprimatur of a great prestige drama, but it doesn't really ascend to that level. This Washington Post critic captures my feelings perfectly: “House of Cards is almost willfully and sadistically atonal. Its schemes and subplots and internecine politics undulate and intertwine with a suffocating kind of flatness. I find (Season 2) watchable yet sterile." (x)

Maybe Sepinwall says it better: "slick and pretty, but ultimately empty... it's simply a bad show with the pretensions of a good one — a USA show that's bad because it thinks it's an HBO show." (x)
  • AndrewAndrew New York
    I'm just glad that Girls was nowhere on that list...
    Yeah, it's super fascinating to me that House of Cards doesn't get any love. It generates a lot of cognitive dissonance to read Sepinwall's take for me. But my bias is pretty clear, I think KS is just really, really fun to watch, as his Robin Wright. He's the Boyd Crowder of Capitol Hill, and she's Ava.
  • I had a generally pleasant reaction to the top 10 tv of 2014 podcast.
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    AntManBee said:

...Plus you inspired me to go and watch Silicon Valley and Newsroom.

Silicon Valley is REALLY funny and worth watching, my only confusion/knock against it is that is EXACTLY the same show as Betas (amazon instant video) that came first. Both are really good though.
  • Loved the cast and debate videos, even though I find it CRIMINAL to not include Louie. Silicon Valley was very funny a few times - Louie is expertly made, hilarious, poignant, etc... The comedy bias is real and an interesting discussion.
This discussion has been closed.