USA Presidential Election 2016

Post here if/when you've voted. You don't have to post who you voted for if you don't want to.

I voted. 

Some volunteers were wearing Trump/Pence 2016 badges. I'm pretty sure that's illegal. I'm going to report them. 
akritenbrinkChiefPizzaMichelleHollyoakweeniegirl

Comments

• Voted last week - here in Colorado you get your ballot in the mail and then send it back or drop it off at a drop box or in-person voting location. It's ridiculous seeing images of long lines in other states. We need to make voting easy for everyone.

What sites are folks looking at today? My favorite sources for election news/analysis are Twitter and FiveThirtyEight. Also have been checking in on the Washington Post and NYT live blogs.
  • I voted by mail a while back.
  • If you're intimidated at polls or have problems voting, call
    866-Our-Vote (English)
    866-Ve-Y-Vota (Spanish)
    866-API-Vote (Asian Languages)
  • we early voted like a week ago in ga.  for normal commentary i usually bounce around between fivethirtyeight, slate, talkingpointsmemo, politico, and the misc news sites (fox, cnn, etc).  will probably just keep an eye on the fivethirtyeight live blog until polls start closing and then turn on cnn or something.
  • Voted last week. The lines were surprisingly long, but I guess that makes sense since Utah is a contended state for the first time ever.
    akritenbrink
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    I voted by mail (actually drop off) in WA state two weeks ago and have also checked my county election board's website to make sure they got my ballot. :)

I voted for Hillary Clinton and mostly Democrats down the ballot. I am not normally a one-party voter and have voted for both parties up and down the ticket over the years (although only once for President, Bob Dole, because Bill Clinton seemed skeezy and compromised to my 23-year-old mind at the time), but the Republicans have to organize themselves better around moderate conservative values before I will vote for one again for anything on a national level. Plus my Democratic representative and the Senator who was on the ballot here are both well-established, strong candidates. 

I'm going to try to keep my head down and work and/or do web trainings today and stay off social media as much as possible to manage my emotions and anxiety until closer to the evening when we will  be able to see election results.

Be a human, not a machine.

Angie Kritenbrink
    akritenbrink on most social media

• A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I voted in person because our local voting place is shady AF, and I wanted to see if it would be worse what with the rigamarole leading up to the election.  It seemed no more or less stupid this time around.  I saw a guy get turned away with insufficient ID with no offer of a provisional ballot.  I tried cluing him in to submitting a provisional, but I was just some crazy guy with a beard and the election officials weren't in a hurry to help him out so he just left.  I hope he gets his vote counted.  I have no idea who he'd vote for, but I am so sick and fucking tired of the increasingly obvious attempts to suppress voter turnout and franchise, it doesn't matter.  If you're a citizen, and not otherwise barred because of criminal conviction, you get to vote, period. 
    ChiefPizzaMichelleBrawnGanakritenbrinkkevinreape
  • Gan said:

Post here if/when you've voted. You don't have to post who you voted for if you don't want to.

I voted. 

Some volunteers were wearing Trump/Pence 2016 badges. I'm pretty sure that's illegal. I'm going to report them. 
    I have volunteered at polling stations several times, and can tell you that yes, that *is* illegal.

• WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    Just voted and the library was PACKED. Which resulted in a ton of impatient people refusing to use the computers. Which in turn meant my process went very quickly :)

• Shum said:

Voted last week. The lines were surprisingly long, but I guess that makes sense since Utah is a contended state for the first time ever.

@Shum Do you think McMullen has a shot to win UT?
    akritenbrink

I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, “If this isn’t nice, I don’t know what is."

• MichelleMichelle California
    I haven't had the chance to vote yet today since I've been at work, but plan to vote as soon as I leave here.   My go-to is listening to MSNBC live online while I'm working.

I don't mind saying that I'm voting for Clinton.  I wish I could vote for Bill Clinton again, but I'm happy and excited to vote for Hillary.  I've made no bones here about my hatred of Donald Trump, so this should be no surprise.

On pins and needles until the election is called.    Pins. And. Needles.
    "Scorch the damn earth before you." - Liz Taylor, AHS
  • edited November 2016
    I voted last Thursday during lunch at a poll close to my work. I'm in Houston, TX.  It took all of about 15 minutes tops. 

Typical scene I'm used to here:  You're greeted by a gauntlet of volunteers ushering you in with 'attaboys' for voting.  We have the electronic voting booths here in Harris County.  So you have a screen, and then a big analog dial, a select button, and a big red "Cast Ballot" button.  You're given your authorization pin code on a print out after signing in and verifying with ID.  Enter that code in, and then get to votin'.  You get a final review page of all your selections and then after you hit "Cast Ballot." Then you get a confirmation message and are told you can now leave the booth.  

I guess I bring that up 'cause it's interesting seeing the old school booths out there that even the Trumps are using, with scantrons where you bubble in your vote with I guess a pen.  And I'm old enough to remember the hanging chad debacle, and having the SCOTUS step in to decide an election.  Of course, now we have 8 Supreme Court Justices.   

I count myself as one of the fortunate ones that it only took 15 minutes to vote.  Some aren't so lucky.  Props to everyone who waited multiple hours in line to vote.  https://www.thenation.com/article/there-are-868-fewer-places-to-vote-in-2016-because-the-supreme-court-gutted-the-voting-rights-act/  
    akritenbrink
  • Gan said:

I voted. 

I have volunteered at polling stations several times, and can tell you that yes, that *is* illegal.

Little more information 

It was kind of a scary experience as I live in a rural area and there were like 100 Trump signs and a huge "STOP RIGGED ELECTIONS" sign and one sign that I'm sure was likely a threat against Hillary's life. There was exactly one Hillary sign there.

There were volunteers closer than 40ft in front of the buildings directing people which building and which door to go into to vote, and some were wearing Trump/Pence 2016 badges and it even had pictures of them on it. 

in VA at an elementary school.

I voted for Hillary. 
    akritenbrink
  • cdrive said:

I voted last Thursday during lunch at a poll close to my work. I'm in Houston, TX.  It took all of about 15 minutes tops. 

Typical scene I'm used to here:  You're greeted by a gauntlet of volunteers ushering you in with 'attaboys' for voting.  We have the electronic voting booths here in Harris County.  So you have a screen, and then a big analog dial, a select button, and a big red "Cast Ballot" button.  You're given your authorization pin code on a print out after signing in and verifying with ID.  Enter that code in, and then get to votin'.  You get a final review page of all your selections and then after you hit "Cast Ballot." Then you get a confirmation message and are told you can now leave the booth.  

I guess I bring that up 'cause it's interesting seeing the old school booths out there that even the Trumps are using, with scantrons where you bubble in your vote with I guess a pen.  And I'm old enough to remember the hanging chad debacle, and having the SCOTUS step in to decide an election.  Of course, now we have 8 Supreme Court Justices.   

I count myself as one of the fortunate ones that it only took 15 minutes to vote.  Some aren't so lucky.  Props to everyone who waited multiple hours in line to vote.  https://www.thenation.com/article/there-are-868-fewer-places-to-vote-in-2016-because-the-supreme-court-gutted-the-voting-rights-act/  

yup. that's how it was for me. Fill in a oval bubble with a pen, place the paper in to a machine that eats up the paper.  Felt like I was doing SATs.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited November 2016
    Your system seems weird - is it just a bunch of randoms setting up polling stations and everyone does it differently? I'm confused by people saying "We have electronic voting here" as though it's different elsewhere? We don't have electronic voting, but elections are run by a government agency and everything is uniform throughout the country.
    akritenbrink
  • Dee said:

Your system seems weird - is it just a bunch of randoms setting up polling stations and everyone does it differently? I'm confused by people saying "We have electronic voting here" as though it's different elsewhere? We don't have electronic voting, but elections are run by a government agency and everything is uniform throughout the country.

Every state runs its own elections, so it may be uniform within a state but not across the country.

I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, “If this isn’t nice, I don’t know what is."

• Dee said:

That system seems weird. How am I supposed to rig an election with all that bullshit? 
    Frakkin TTravisMichelleakritenbrinkDeephoenyx1023
  • it is weird.  

we have a little card that gets handed to us by the poll worker after they validate who we are which we then insert into a big electronic device with a touchscreen.  the balloting stuff is all done with that touch screen, you touch it to check boxes and there are "next" and "back" buttons along with something like "submit ballot" or whatever on the last page.  once you do that the card pops back out and you hand it back to the poll worker and get your "i farted" sticker.
    cdrivehisdudeness915Dee
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    I voted about an hour ago. There wasn't a line until I had finished. I turned around and there were like a dozen people there. It was real quiet in the gymnasium they were doing it in. All I did was say my name and then sign the book. They didn't ask for my address or anything. I have had to tell them my address in the past.
  • voodoorat said:

it is weird.  

we have a little card that gets handed to us by the poll worker after they validate who we are which we then insert into a big electronic device with a touchscreen.  the balloting stuff is all done with that touch screen, you touch it to check boxes and there are "next" and "back" buttons along with something like "submit ballot" or whatever on the last page.  once you do that the card pops back out and you hand it back to the poll worker and get your "i farted" sticker.
    Man I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks "I Farted" every time I see that sticker.  I can't help it. I am a child.  
    voodoorat
  • @Dummy

LOL right? That's my favorite thing about the rigged theory-as if enough of us could get our shit together with each other to actually get that done..

I see no evidence of that kind of cooperation in recent years ;)
    Dummy
    Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    I voted this morning before work. It felt good but it matters little because my state is determined to make America great again. sigh. Oh well, I did my part.

If anyone from another country reads this, how does this whole thing look to you? I'd love to know what this whole process has looked like from another country's point of view.
    akritenbrink
  • I voted this morning with only a few minutes wait, which is great because I had my toddler with me. No shennanagins at my polling place, but a friend mentioned that when she took her inlaws in their rural north Georgia home town there were people wearing Trump shirts, even with signs up stating such is considered campaigning and not allowed.
  • Gan said:

Gan said:

I voted. 

Little more information 

It was kind of a scary experience as I live in a rural area and there were like 100 Trump signs and a huge "STOP RIGGED ELECTIONS" sign and one sign that I'm sure was likely a threat against Hillary's life. There was exactly one Hillary sign there.

There were volunteers closer than 40ft in front of the buildings directing people which building and which door to go into to vote, and some were wearing Trump/Pence 2016 badges and it even had pictures of them on it. 

in VA at an elementary school.

I voted for Hillary. 

@Gan
    Wow!!! I am so sorry you had to deal with that. That is voter intimidation, as well as campaigning for a candidate in a polling station - both are not only *WRONG* on a basic humanity level, but are illegal.
    You can and should report this behavior. You can do this at 1-800-OUR-VOTE.
    (I would suggest reporting it more locally, but it sounds like that wouldn't help much, considering they're the people doing it)

Sorry to get so wound up, but that type of behavior is unacceptable in a free democracy, and needs to be stopped.
    Michelle

• I voted this morning at 10:00 with zero wait, and I voted for Clinton, although very reluctantly. If the Republicans had put up pretty much anybody else I probably would have voted for them, I just really don't get a good feeling from Trump.
    akritenbrink
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    edited November 2016
    All these electronic descriptions make the UK voting system seem very old fashioned! We just get given a little piece of paper that we put a cross on (with pencil sometimes, which seems insane given they could easily be edited) and we pop it in a box with a slot on the top. These boxes are then sealed and taken to the town hall where they are counted up by hand.

I'm surprised that polling stations close so early in the US, ours are open until 10pm.
    edited November 2016
    Dee said:

Elections are run by counties in my state. Not sure if that's the same in every state. In Washington state, we vote by paper ballot through the mail. If you don't want to put it in the mail, you can also drop it at a ballot box location. If you put it in the mail but don't have the proper postage, the government makes up the difference. 

The available ballot boxes are unmanned and at places like libraries and city halls and college campuses (maybe others but those are the ones I've seen around). I think when you get closer to the election, there are more, and some of them are manned with people just answering process questions and handing out stickers.

There's a lot in American political and legal culture and practice that is different across the country because we have a federal system that allows for some independence on the part of the states. It's one of the central tenets of our system that makes it strong as well as something that creates some drama and conflict. 

Angie Kritenbrink

• All these stories make me glad to have the privilege of early voting. I voted 2 weeks ago (Clinton) and it was actually pretty crowded for an early vote. Unfortunately, I live in Georgia, where the majority of my friends,family, and co-workers think that Trump is the second coming of Christ. Oh well, I did my part and I want to say thank you to everyone on these forums for exercising your right to vote and an even bigger thank you to the ones who voted Hillary ;)
    akritenbrinkApril_May_JuneDummyMichelle
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Frakkin T said:

Dee said:

Every state runs its own elections, so it may be uniform within a state but not across the country.
    And to speak to the "rigged" nature of our elections, not only would you have to rig 50 separate contests, but the large majority of state elections are in Republican hands, so...

One of the things that is so infuriating about the false concern over in person voting fraud is that, while it does happen, it's in the low hundreds of people.  Meanwhile, we turn away hundreds of thousands of legitimate votes with quibbles over address and ID.  I used to buy the argument for voter ID laws, but since I've started paying attention it's a transparent attempt to disenfranchise mainly progressive voters.

One more thing, then I'm off my high horse.  The Supreme Court recently struck down most of the protections of the Voting Rights Act, citing that sense we've essentially eliminated racism in the country, there's no need for protections against Jim Crow type voting intimidation.  Since then, southern states have eliminated 868 polling locations.  Any guesses about which areas have had funding and machine shortages and which areas have no problems whatsoever?  How much more fundamentally anti-American can you get?  
    akritenbrinkDummyMichelle
    I guess we found out this year that racism wasn't totally eliminated. ;)

Unfortunately the Republicans in Congress have hobbled the Supreme Court to the point where they can't/won't even take on big cases right now.
    MurderbearMichelle

Angie Kritenbrink