BBC's "The Fall"

Is anyone watching this fantastic show? I feel like it might be a good one for A-Ron and Cecily to cover, since I would want a female perspective on this one considering the subject matter.

Comments

• pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    I liked it. Netflix will be airing series 2 on Jan.16.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Haven't started S2 yet as I'm debating whether to wait and binge on it. I loved S1 though. Such a tense show, and Stella is a fantastic character.
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    It was a show I started watching thinking it was a miniseries, so I was SOO excited to find out it was an ongoing series. I think this show would be better to watch all at once since it's a crime drama (although kind of not at all because nothing is mystery, which is crazy considering how tense this show is!) But I couldn't wait, and I watched the first episode of season 2. It was a bit slow, touching bases on all the characters, kind of getting things going for the season. I am really interested to see where this season will go. Love the all the characters though, Gillian Anderson is just perfect.

Little ironic that Jamie Dormer is now in the 50 Shades of Gray movie, considering this show is about violence toward women and how it is fetishezed by the media and society in general. I found that the Anita Sarkeesian video about "Women as Background: Part 2" is a PERFECT pairing with this show. I would recommend reading interviews by Allan Cubitt about the antithesis of why he made this show too. Really awesome.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I thought it was a mini series too - I think maybe it was meant to be but it was really popular. As keen as I am for S2 I think the ending of S1 worked beautifully for a stand alone mini series.
    The ending could have worked, totally. So my only hopes for S2 is that it is not repetitive.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    When is Season Two coming out?
  • Season 2 is currently airing on BBC. It will be on Netflix, as @pavlovsbell‌ noted, on Jan. 16.
    edited November 2014
    Seriously, Cecily and A-Ron need to get on this... maybe after American Horror Story wraps? Or on the December Hiatus?
  • I'm not saying this show isn't worthy of a Bald Move cast, but there are other shows I'd rather them spend their time on. Shows like Happy Valley (BBC/Netflix) - which was excruciatingly good, or even Hannibal. As for being a candidate for A-Ron and Cecily, I don't see it. The Fall is just so dark and humorless.

I watched S2E1 last night and it was very good. There's just something about this show that doesn't connect for me to make it "great" and i can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe I'm just burned out on these types of shows.
    edited November 2014
    The reason I wanted Cecily on this one too is because I would be really interested to hear a man's and a woman's perspective. Considering this show is ultimately about feminism and the fetisization of violence toward women, only two men discussing just wouldn't be as illuminating.

That being said, I need to check out Happy Valley. I watch Hannibal, and it is lush and creepy and gorgeous. But for some reason I am never itching to have it be discussed...??? Don't known why.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Happy Valley was so good!
    What's it about?
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    The main character is a middle aged female cop in a small town, and the guy she blames for her daughter's death gets out of prison and comes back to town. There's also a kidnapping going on that she's trying to solve, and she has personal issues, etc. It's very serious, quite dark and tense, and very gripping.
  • I've seen the first 3 of the second season and it's better than the first. Way better, IMO. Gillian doesn't seem to have as much range as I'd hoped. She's kinda wooden. But the story (and the guy playing the serial killer) is fantastic.
  • @hypergenesb‌ I'm giving this a run but TBH primarily watching it for the serial killer now, i'm pretty blasé about the rest
    edited November 2014
    I do think that is the one problem I have with the show. The killer is very fleshed out, and very interesting. I feel that simply by the nature that he is serial killer he is more interesting than the detective, which is a problem. They need to push her character so they are on the same level. Gillian needs to be just as fleshed out and interesting too. However, I don't think the show goes to the point of "endearing" the killer to you. You are still very much on her side and want to see this guy get caught.
  • Yeah, they haven't done a particularly good job rounding out Gillian's detective. It's def the weakest part of this show.
    I have only watched the first ep of the second season, but it seemed as though they were hinting that she had some past abuse (the hair band on the wrist thing) ?
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Can someone summarize what The Fall is about?
  • From Metacritic: "Detective Superintendent Stella Gibson (Gillian Anderson) is brought in from London to help solve a Belfast murder. Unknown to the detectives, the killer, Paul Spector (Jamie Dornan), a married man with two kids, is already planning his next kill."
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Wow Gillian Anderson! Ok gotta give it a chance.
  • Mmmm. I did enjoy Season 1. Season 2 has been pretty horrid so far
  • Mmmm. I did enjoy Season 1. Season 2 has been pretty horrid so far
  • I liked The Fall. It was pretty dark and creepy with the violence. I have no problem with that, though. Violence should make you shudder. I'd love, as someone upthread said, to have A. Ron and Cecily review Hannibal or Happy Valley.
    Man, watching Happy Valley was brutal. These Brits really know how to do a cop show. I watched one episode of Peaky Blinders and need to quickly get back for more viewing.

I'm really glad these forums are up as I really like the Bald Move podcasts. Is American Horror Story the only podcast A. Ron and Cecily do together? I know they did True Blood (The Authori-taaaayyy) but that's done now. Thankfully.
    Yeah @hollyoak, that's the only one the do together. I would love them to do more, like The Fall of Happy Valley - they have had two fun podcasts, they should do a serious one now!
  • aberry89 said:

Yeah @hollyoak, that's the only one the do together. I would love them to do more, like The Fall of Happy Valley - they have had two fun podcasts, they should do a serious one now!

You hear that, A. Ron? Get on that.
  • Season 1 was every bit as twisted as Hannibal. Excited about Season 2 coming to Netflix soon.
    I would say even more twisted than Hannibal. Because it's a reality.
  • That's a ballsy statement @aberry89‌. Hannibal is pretty damn twisted.
    hahaha yeah. a man fed dogs his face...but that seems so crazy twisted it's not really scary. The Fall seems completely believable, so it feels more chilling to me.
This discussion has been closed.