610 - "Chapter 10"

Director: Bradley Buecker
Writer: Ryan Murphy & Brad Falchuk

Comments

• OMG!! The lady from "London" needs a map.
    cdriveMichellejomiha
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Here's all your fuckin' intros, ARon. Lol.
    MichellejomihamanhattnikElisa
    Ohhhhhhhh shit! She went all Bloody Face on Lana.

The Lana - Audrey thing ain't working. This isn't Coming to America.
    @Xulsolar22. "CROATOAANNN!" Lmaoooo
    MichellemanhattnikElisa
  • WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    After setting the bar pretty low, I gotta say this season was fun. Sure there were a bunch of problems but I think the pros far outweighed the cons. I really enjoyed the direction they took. The reality show angle. It was different and it worked. In my opinion at least. And I don't really watch reality shows. It got a little bit too much POV towards the end especially the penultimate episode but still was watchable. The scares were great and the "real" ghosts were pretty damn creepy. 

That being said, the actual ending was a bit of a disappointment. Flora and Lee were just not all that interesting. So to end it all with them was kind of meh. 

Overall I'd give this season a 7.5. I'd recommend it to anyone who fell off the series. Best part was hardly any Lady Gaga! I know that's a unpopular opinion but I think she's a pretty meh actress. So I was happy to see that her role decreased significantly. 
    manhattnikElisa
  • I guess I'll be "that guy". This season left me frustrated. I was hoping for something more "real" in the end. What we got was basically a "haha" everything you just watched was fake and everyone is ok. I was looking for something to grab on to, and what we find out is that there was little real about anything we saw (except the end, maybe). While I get it was a commentary on these types of reality shows, I guess I wish they stuck to some of the "traditional" (bad use of the word) genres. Heck I'd even take Alien abduction over this past season.

Oh and the woman from "London" was "off" her accent went in and out and seemed to get a little Scottish maybe in there.
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited November 2016
    I think this is now my favorite season, with Hotel close behind.   Quick thoughts though:

*Why the drag queen host at Paleyfest?  It didn't seem to fit with the theme of the panel she was hosting.
    *This curly haired girl from London has the worst British accent.  It sounds more like a southerner from the U.S. trying to do a British accent, but it's coming off more Australian with a slight tinge of Cockney
    *What happened at the end of the Paleyfest scene when it went black & white?  I saw a bloody knife/cleaver raised in the air but was that just a fake cosplay weapon or did some shit go down?
    *This confession tape of Lee is AHS's equivalent to The Walking Dead's "this is our life now".  How many damn times do we need to see it?
    *Loved seeing Lana Winters back!  That opening to her show was cheesy AF though.  I felt like I was watching the Lifetime channel.
    *Flora went missing an hour before the interview - who took her?  Lot Polk?  Or did she take off on her own?
    *Uh, Lot Polk drove his nasty hillbilly self all the way to Los Angeles or whatever big city Lana Winters and Lee are in? Really?? How did he know where they would be and when? And we're meant to believe that he has *at least* 3G at the Polk Compound?
    *Nice reference to 'Asylum' by the Spirit Chaser guys.
    *CRICKET!  Well, the re-enactor, but still!
    *Denis O'Hare!  *love*
    *The DA says that Lee's verdict was the hardest to swallow in his career...  harder than the OJ verdict???
    *Lee's sacrifice - I would say it was touching to see the lengths a parent will go to ensure their child has a good chance at their life, but Lee straight up murdered Mason - I'm sure she believes she deserves to die and live forever with Priscilla but that open hand-to-open hand at the end was kind of moving.
    *Did not ever think Flora would be the lone survivor.  Nice choice.
    *Loved the ending.  There was only one way to end this show and that was to blow the damn house up. 

Also, as a photographer and a very visual person, they really made a great decision to install that giant upstairs window in the house.   The late afternoon 'golden hour' glow coming through it just beautifully lit those Lee/Flora scenes at the end.  But even in the earlier episodes though, they got a lot of incredible shots with that window.

Great season overall, really enjoyed it.  Well done, Ryan Murphy & Brad Falchuk.

cdrive
    KingKobra said:

What we got was basically a "haha" everything you just watched was fake and everyone is ok.

No, they really died.  Paleyfest happened before season 2 started.  That's how all of the actors were alive and well on stage.
    Elisa
    @Michelle I raise a fist in solidarity to all of those takes. #TeamCricket
    MichelleElisa
    cdrive said:

@Xulsolar22. "CROATOAANNN!" Lmaoooo

With jazz hands!  lol    Awwww, RIP Cricket.
    cdrivemanhattnik
  • Michelle said:

KingKobra said:

What we got was basically a "haha" everything you just watched was fake and everyone is ok.

No, they really died.  Paleyfest happened before season 2 started.  That's how all of the actors were alive and well on stage.
    Just watched the intro again, you are correct (that was done before season 3DIH). I guess I would ask then what was the point of showing it m. They had already discussed how it was the biggest show. They then FFW to the "English" girl saying bad things about season 2 (3DIH).....

Btw that "grey" was just an artistic cut. I'm guessing they used it to show that it was the end of that act. There were lots of folks raising their prop weapons when cheering in the crowd.
    Michelle
    Forgive my possible ignorance, but what does 3DIH mean?

And thanks for the explanation of the black & white fade at the end of the Paleyfest scene.  Makes total sense.
    KingKobra
  • edited November 2016
    Michelle said:

Forgive my possible ignorance, but what does 3DIH mean?

And thanks for the explanation of the black & white fade at the end of the Paleyfest scene.  Makes total sense.

3DIH=3 Days in Hell aka "Season 2" of MRN=My Roanoke Nightmare ;)
    Oh, duh!   LOL
  • I thought it was great! Lee was selfish the entire series, ostensibly for her daughter, in the end she made the ultimate sacrifice for her.

It's kind of beautiful that her penance will be mothering a child who needs her, after failing to mother a child who did not want her.
    Michellemanhattnik
  • I've come to realise that I'm hate watching this show and have been for a few seasons. Freak Sow and Hotel held my interest for a bit but they ended up shitting the bed before they were over and Roanoke was a complete dumpster fire. I don't know, perhaps it's because the format of this season was based around programming that I loathe. I wouldn't mind if @Cecily worked her magic on this series like she has on a few others. 
    John_Nada
  • I've come to realise that I'm hate watching this show and have been for a few seasons. Freak Sow and Hotel held my interest for a bit but they ended up shitting the bed before they were over and Roanoke was a complete dumpster fire. I don't know, perhaps it's because the format of this season was based around programming that I loathe. I wouldn't mind if @Cecily worked her magic on this series like she has on a few others. 

I'm totally with you on this.  I hated every part of this season, except maybe Lee's sacrifice at the end.  Complete hate watch for me, and this *will* affect whether I record it next season.
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    I didn't like how heavily they leaned into the reality tv stuff in the last episode, and I don't think they invested the time into Lee & Flora to deserve being the climax of the show, but AHS has always been spotty at best when it comes to endings.

This was a pretty good season overall. I'm struck by how much of a departure it was. There were never any opening credits. There weren't really any side-stories or extra character threads, and there was a lot less camp. There was no pink cupcakes scene, no Liz Taylor, no Kathy Bates's severed head being forced to watch Roots. Instead we got a classic American ghost story/slasher flick with the entire tropey plotline: people are in a scary place, they don't leave when shit gets scarier, someone gets killed but everyone still stays, massacre, rinse, repeat. I'm amazed at how good it turned out to be, and that they were able to use the found footage format and somehow make it seem the show was less self-aware and self-referential than it has been in the past. 

It's also true that I am engaging with AHS less this season than I have in the past. I listen to the podcast and have occasionally commented on here, but I don't have the buy-in this year that I did with Asylum or Hotel or even Freakshow. Overall I'd say this is a pretty good 6 or 7 hour horror movie and I would definitely rewatch it, but as a season of AHS, I'd rank it near the bottom. I like the camp and the fun and the god-awful plot twists that lead to huge and ridiculous shocking moments, and all of that fun was missed this year. 
    Elisa
    edited November 2016
    Just noticed something on 2nd watch... The DA said that there was a 6 minute phone call between Lee and Mason the night she killed him in Roanoke. I get that Mason's phone would work if he was not a casted part of the production, but Sidney disabled all of the cast's phones and only enabled their cameras. So how could Lee have made a phone call to him?
    manhattnik
    Michelle said:

Just noticed something on 2nd watch... The DA said that there was a 6 minute phone call between Lee and Mason the night she killed him in Roanoke. I get that Nason's phone would work if he was not a casted part of the production, but Sudney disabled all of the cast's phones and only enabled their cameras. So how could Lee have made a phone call to him?

It was real Lee who called Mason. There were no camera crews there the first time around. We came into the story after it was over and Matt, Shelby, & Lee were retelling the story.
    KingKobraMichelleElisa
    Oh yeah, thanks. For some reason I was thinking he came back for the 2nd season.
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    edited November 2016
    Yep, I've come to realise that I've been hate watching this show since Freak Show. The inclusion of Lana Winters made me remember just how good Asylum was. AHS was so good for Murder House, Asylum and Coven, and then it took a sharp dive.

As for this season, I honestly think I only kept watching past the first few episodes because I love the podcast, so really Murphy and co. should be sending some royalties or something your way!

That 'British' fan's accent. OH MY GOD. I had to pause the show and run to fix myself a cup of tea and a biscuit just to reaffirm my own Englishness. What the living fuck was that.

At first I thought that Kathy Bates might have been playing the real Butcher just for a bit of easter egg fun, but I froze the frame and I don't think it's her lol:

Freak Show had all of the endearing and interesting supporting characters, Hotel had cult favourites like Liz Taylor, but apart from the occasional sassiness from Angela Bassett, there really wasn't anything in this season that I enjoyed.

Oh well, we made it. I'll keep watching as long as you guys keep podcasting because we've got a great bunch of AHS 'fans' here, I say 'fans' because some are definitely more earnest in their enjoyment of the show than me! ;-)

Here's to next season, whatever bat shit craziness it may bring!

KingKobraxulsolar22Michelle
  • HeffHeff Connecticut
    I've been saying this season was an absolute shitshow since the beginning - the reality show and show-within-a-show aspects were terrible, and they ruined what could have otherwise been a wonderful setting for an AHS season. I've watched every episode of the season, and feel really frustrated by the whole thing. This finale left so much on the table that most of what happened in the previous episodes were really invalidated:
    • The original 5-6 episodes (the first "show") were pointless; we could've started the season in Episode 6 and wouldn't have lost anything. The Polks and all of the ghosts were far more interesting the second time, and would have been even better if the scary versions were the first versions we saw.
    • The woods witch/Scatach seems to be unimportant in the end. She basically existed to draw in her boytoy (Matt) and get him killed, then for some reason turns Lee into the second Butcher for some reason, which only serves to get Lee to kill the other cast members. If the rumors I've seen were true, I'd have thought she would play a much bigger role, especially with Gaga portraying her. (I find Gaga annoying but she earned my respect for her portrayal of the Countess in Hotel)
    • That control or possession apparently doesn't mean anything since Lee is fully in control of herself afterwards, and doesn't even have a relapse of it when being back on the property DURING THE BLOOD MOON. Why was that even necessary? Why couldn't a ghost have killed the other cast members if Lee wasn't going to be a conduit for the spirits to use outside of the Blood Moon time frame or something?
    • Exactly what purpose did Lana serve, other than to link the seasons? I thought maybe she was going to cause the reveal of Lee's possession, or have been manipulated by the ghosts (through Lee) for their benefit somehow. Instead she was nothing more than a vehicle to indirectly get Lee to go back to the house.

Here's hoping Ryan can get his shit together and ditch this bullshit show-within-a-show idea for next season. The Blair Witch "found footage" stuff doesn't work for the show, and I would have felt much more connected to/invested in what happened to the characters if this was filmed in standard AHS style. Instead, one of my favorite fall shows became something to put on TV while I spent my evening painting miniatures.

• Wow, I think I was the only person who liked this season.  Please don't get me wrong, I don't like it like I like Mad Men, The Sopranos or Breaking Bad.  Those are like going to a gourmet restaurant with cloth tableclothes and pretty portions.  AHS is like going to a ranch house barbecue place where they bring you a bib, there is a plastic gingham tablecloth, but the food is fun and plenty of it.

I thought the first part was telling a good story, people were criticizing that there was no suspense because you knew who lived from the first person story telling.  Frankly, I thought it was more suspenseful than Coven where everyone kept getting resurrected.  They reversed that with the "only one person survived" nature of the second half.  I found the second half way, way scarier.  They were able to drop you into a horror story without explaining the setting or characters because they already had.  And it was really, really scary in places.

AHS has traditionally had mixed luck with endings.  I thought this one was comparatively great.  I liked that they were able to bring the entire cast out for a group bow without crazy resurrections.  They were also very effective at explaining how Flora would be driven to return, which was one hundred percent motive for Lee to return.

And the actual ending, with Lee getting a happy ending, but having to pay for it, was really above what I expect for this show.

She killed Mason to be with Flora, so in the end she had to die to have any relationship with Flora.

She was also given a little girl who actually wanted her and needs her.  She's not being entirely rewarded by fate, but her punishment is community service rather than hell.  She wasn't an entirely evil person and her sentence is being commuted with a plea bargain and extenuating circumstances being taken into account.  I feel like this is as close to justice as you'll see in this show.

Now, wash the barbecue sauce off your hands, sweep the peanut shells onto the floor, tear off the plastic bib and leave with the guilty pleasure of a big meal (maybe more than you should have eaten, but oh well).  Soon enough you'll have gourmet filet cut thin with fingerling potatoes and perhaps a nice glass of wine.  But don't hate on the barbecue, it was never trying to impress you.
    MichelleElisa
  • HeffHeff Connecticut
    gjulleen said:

Now, wash the barbecue sauce off your hands, sweep the peanut shells onto the floor, tear off the plastic bib and leave with the guilty pleasure of a big meal (maybe more than you should have eaten, but oh well).  Soon enough you'll have gourmet filet cut thin with fingerling potatoes and perhaps a nice glass of wine.  But don't hate on the barbecue, it was never trying to impress you.
    I love a good barbecue place; unfortunately in this situation Season 6 was like the awesome barbecue place went under new management and everything was made out of tofu and served with non-alcoholic beer; they can make it LOOK like barbecue, but tofu will never be the same as pulled pork, brisket, or even roast beef.
    gjulleen
    Man, the fan base for this series is like no other. Everyone is always all over the place. You could ask five people to rank their two favorite seasons and you most likely won't get the same answer twice. I've seen people trash this season as the worst season in TV history. I've also seen people claim this was the best in the series. That's so interesting to me.

If you go into a season of AHS expecting Breaking Bad quality of television, you're gonna have a bad time. If you just sit back and watch it for what it it's, you might enjoy it. I enjoyed this with a number of complaints. But Murphy earned my trust again and I can't wait for next season.
    Frakkin TMichelleElisa
  • I look forward to each season and just enjoy it for what it is. Life can be so serious and sometimes hard, it's easy to go to bed worried about the next day. I like getting creeped out by scary nurses and scary butchers (good choice to never have the real her speak, by the way).

In a weird way I'm glad that AHS isn't better. I have dramatic, intelligent television I watch, sometimes you just want trash that isn't important and doesn't mean anything.

I've read The Grapes of Wrath and Anna Karenina. Sometimes I want to read a World of Warcraft tie in novel.
    edited November 2016

Man, the fan base for this series is like no other. Everyone is always all over the place. You could ask five people to rank their two favorite seasons and you most likely won't get the same answer twice. I've seen people trash this season as the worst season in TV history. I've also seen people claim this was the best in the series. That's so interesting to me.

If you go into a season of AHS expecting Breaking Bad quality of television, you're gonna have a bad time. If you just sit back and watch it for what it it's, you might enjoy it. I enjoyed this with a number of complaints. But Murphy earned my trust again and I can't wait for next season.

Cosign. Even when it's bad it's still very watchable because it has absolutely no pretense about what kind of show it is, unlike some other "horror" shows currently on the air. 
    gjulleenWonderedObjectMichelle
  • HeffHeff Connecticut
    edited November 2016
    @WonderedObject @gjulleen

I hope you guys realize that I have absolutely loved AHS from Season 1 up to this point - the format changes just really pushed me away, and coming off of Hotel which I really enjoyed made it that much worse.

The body count slasher section of the season was better, but I felt like it was still getting dragged down by the reality show/Blair Witch stuff. I wasn't looking to compare AHS to shows like Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones, simply comparing this season to previous seasons which I enjoyed a lot more.
    KingKobra
    edited November 2016
    @Heff oh this wasn't a knock or anything. I was just saying I think these types of reactions prove that the horror genre is the most subjective genre out there. For instance, you enjoyed the last season. I know a few people who would agree with you that Hotel was great. I personally, along with others I know, hated Hotel. Wanted to quit after three episodes, managed to make it to 7, bailed, gave the next episode a shot, but finally gave up after that. Couldn't last. A number of reasons why but I don't want to sound like more of a Debbie downer than I already am.
    That's what I find so interesting. Fans of this genre and this show specifically just range all across the spectrum.
    Elisa