The Grand Tour AKA New Old Top Gear

The first episode is available as of yesterday on Amazon Prime and it's great. This latest season of Top Gear was such a bummer without the original hosts but this is the show I remember falling in love with. It's still heavily produced but they're a lot looser, they can swear, and the first episode is P1 vs 918 vs La Ferrari. It doesn't disappoint.
voodooratKingKobra

Comments

• I agree! Watched he first half this morning and loved it! They did a great job making us feel like nothing much has changed in terms of production
  • Definitely, it was a huge joy and relief to see such a strong start to the show. Top Gear was probably my favorite show ever, definitely the show I've watched more than any other, and even with Clarkson it felt like it was losing a step in the last few seasons but this episode felt like old times.

Some of the jokes in this new one were lame (that Nascar driver was awful but who knows who was writing those jokes) but it made up for it with pretty much everything else.
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Waiting patiently to get off of work and finally get to watch!

It's obvious but there really is something special about those three together. A good car show is a tough nut to crack. Just look at last year's Top Gear or even the extremely hit or miss American Top Gear. So disappointing. I know a lot of people who were fans of these guys were actively rooting for those shows to fail. Which is dumb to me. I wanted all of them to work. The more great car shows out there the better!
  • GT is back :)

Amazon nailing it with the marketing:

Murderbear
    Hahaha! Perfect! I have been watching a lot of old Top Gear lately and can't wait for this!

By the way, what's everyone's all time favorite Top Gear segment? I mean, for me, it's got to be the first Reliant Robin one where Jeremy flipped it on its side about seventeen times. It was so perfectly shot and timed and I just absolutely loved it. Crying with laughter.
  • I've watched the Bolivia special probably more than any other episode. Whenever anyone comes over who is a Top Gear newbie or never seen an episode, this is the one I throw on. 

Murderbear
    That's a great one! Probably my favorite special!
  • The cheap car specials were all so good. Man.

I REALLY hope they get back more to that this season. The first couple seasons of grand tour were WAY overproduced and over-written. 
    Murderbear
    Agreed. I still love the three guys and shenanigans in cars but some of the segments can go. Or at least be tweaked. The killing the guest thing I think is funny but it got old really quick. And I even like the idea of "The American" in theory but him badmouthing these incredible cars every week got a little stale.
  • Has anyone seen the Season 3 premiere yet? Thoughts?
    I thought it was very good. Also it looks absolutely spectacular. I am hoping the format stays the same throughout the season and you'll see why. I am slightly confused though because when Jeremy did the season preview at the beginning, he said "here's what to expect for the next....thirteen weeks." But IMDB only lists twelve for the season.

I liked the muscle cars but holy hell that Maclaren Senna is a thing of beauty. It kind of reminds me more of a Ferrari in its styling but damn I loved it! Looks incredible to drive.
  • Has anyone seen the Season 3 premiere yet? Thoughts?
    Just watched it. The camera work remains amazing, and is often the best part of the show for middling episodes. This episode was....fine, the humor wasn't great, but the cars were awesome. I never much loved the "we take 3 super expensive new cards and compare them" episodes even on the old top gear though, and this seemed about as strong as those were in the old series, so if you liked this episodes before you'll likely like this one.

Also, holy shit is Jeremy Claskson's schtick getting old. The best parts of episode were when James May was making fun of him. Hammond remains a basically empty suit, but he always was the straight man of the 3. 
  • I absolutely loved Top Gear back when these three were on it.  I loved it enough to put a stig sticker in the back window of my vehicle and get SUM SAY as a vanity plate.  I haven't been able to get into Grand Tour nearly as much as I did Top Gear, although I have only watched the 1st season.  I can't really put a finger on it as to why I don't like it as much but I should need to spend some time and sit through seasons 2 and 3 and give it a real shot.  Season 1 definitely had it's moments but it wasn't nearly as entertaining as Top Gear in my opinion.  
  • So watched the colombia special. It was SO CLOSE to the top gear I used to love, although it still feels over produced. 

Also, it's 2019. Stop with jokes where the whole punchline is "we're calling Jeremy gay." 

Overall, though, these were 2 great episodes. 
  • The premiere felt right at home to me.