Shameless (US)

I love this show. I didn't always love it. I was kind of spotty with the first two seasons, then I started watching consistently in Season 3 and became hooked. I loved Season 4 and I feel the fifth season has been solid so far. William H. Macy just rocks with his terribly despicable Frank Gallagher.

I do admit some of the subplots can be super silly and ridiculous, but the main story arcs are really well done.

After listening to Jim and A. Ron's making-of TV list, I noticed this is not on their radar.

Does anyone else really dig this show?

Comments

• ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    YEEEEESSS! The wife and I have been on this train from day one. There couldn't be a more apt title and we love every minute of it.
  • Cool. Yeah, I recently rewatched the first two seasons to make sure all the gaps were filled and I honestly can't say why I wasn't fully on board from the start.

I loved how Frank's beer brewing ended up. I'm curious to see where they go from here.

I would also love to see the return of some of the characters that have left. I particularly want to see Chloe Webb return as Monica. I love her.
  • I enjoy Shameless, even though it gives me agita. I wish Frank had died last season or the season before. His storyline bores me.

I enjoy Shameless, even though it gives me agita. I wish Frank had died last season or the season before. His storyline bores me.

Yeah I always find it funny when they refer to him as the star. It's the Fiona show in my mind. He's like a muse that comes and goes with his random shenanigans.
  • colleencolleen wisconsin
    I agree about Frank. I thought that would have been a fitting end for him last year, so I was kind of annoyed that they kept him alive. His antics just aren't that funny anymore. I enjoy this show with my husband. He grew up pretty poor like the Gallaghers so he actually relates to them a lot.
  • JohnnieDarkJohnnieDark South Florida
    edited January 2015
    Yassss i recently binge watched all 4 season and it's become one of my favorite show. If this show was on HBO it would get more recognition.
  • I can understand the views on Frank. I think I was ready to move on as well during last season. It totally would have made sense to just let him die. That would also open up an opportunity for Monica's return. But I love William H. Macy so much.
    @AntManBee What's great about his character is that while he's repugnant most of the time, at others he DOES actually know what the hell he's talking about. You can't out and out dismiss him, because he's right every so often.
  • http://buzzfeed.com/jarettwieselman/shameless-tvs-most-wonderfully-unique-gay-relationship#.hobj4nqv4

Great interview with the actors who play Ian and Mickey along with one of the writers for the series.
  • Shameless has become one of my must see shows, but if anyone would told me before Sunday's Crazy Love episode that Mickey would actually make my eyes water up and in that final scene become one of my favorite characters I wouldn't of believed it. Such a good season so far.
  • Mickey always made me laugh, but I became a huge fan of his last season when he stood up to his father by publicly announcing that he was gay. Yeah, great episode, great season so far.
  • edited February 2015
    Shameless is one of the best shows on tv right now - Jim and A.Ron, you need to binge and catch up someday! It's a crime that Emmy Rossum hasn't been nominated for anything for it, and this season the actors playing Ian/Mickey are killing it. The show has a great frenetic energy, and a lot of real emotion. Heck even
    the return of jimmy/steve (which I was dreading)
    was actually done well this week.
  • I totally agree about Ian/Mickey killing it this season. Their love story is totally compelling to me.
    AntManBee
  • _c__c_ said:

Shameless is one of the best shows on tv right now - Jim and A.Ron, you need to binge and catch up someday! It's a crime that Emmy Rossum hasn't been nominated for anything for it, and this season the actors playing Ian/Mickey are killing it. The show has a great frenetic energy, and a lot of real emotion. Heck even

the return of jimmy/steve (which I was dreading)
    was actually done well this week.
    I'm not sure if I was dreading your cited spoiler as much as you, but I thought they really played that out well - especially with working that into Fi's struggles with her own compulsiveness from last season.
  • Interesting finish to Season 5. I was so happy to see Monica again. I hope she pops up again next year.

And as annoying as Frank's shenanigans have been, I liked how his arc with the dying doctor concluded. She was able to go out on her own terms, escaping from Frank's selfish petty needs.
    I don't think Frank was TOO petty. He wasn't okay with watching someone blow their brains out in front of him (I would like to think that applies to most of us). I personally can't STAND Monica. She's the embodiment of self-centered narcissism with a mental illness to boot, no thank you. Not sure where the Lip and his professor storyline can/will go, but it was a crazy ride of a season.
    AntManBee
  • @ksa1001 Yeah, Monica's completely out of control and just an outright hateable person, but I have loved Chloe Webb ever since she did China Beach and Twins. I find her very amusing.
    @AntManBee TWINS!!! THAT'S why she always looked so familiar!
    AntManBee