What does Jim eat on the Holidays?

So, Jim mentioned that he has to hunt to find places that are open to eat on the holidays.  I like Jim tend to avoid holiday gatherings as well, and often need to find other food  I live in the New England and the only thing open on holidays is Chinese restaurants, which I dont mind, we have excellent Chinese food up here.  I was wondering if any other people out there are like Jim and I?  Whats open in your area? What do you eat when the rest of the world is shut down for the day?

Comments

• A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    My go to for years and years is Chinese food.  It's actually annoying how many people do that now.  20 years ago, it was just me and a handful of people, it was nice.  Now everyone does the JW tradition of chinese and a movie.  Yes, I know, I'm being a holiday hipster.
    MichelleChiefPizzaFlukestelephoneofmadnessTaraC73
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    Jewish people have been eating Chinese food on Christmas for over a century, so I suppose that would make them the OG holiday hipsters.

If I can avoid a holiday gathering, my go-to is Japanese or Indian.
    MurderbearMichelleTaraC73
  • edited November 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    When I lived in Boston, I would typically order Indian food on Thanksgiving. It was fantastic. But Indian food is fantastic any day of the year. 
    voodooratMurderbearMichelle
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Go to the grocery store ahead of time and make a homemade pizza, chill some beer, and have chips 'n salsa. :)
    jomihaVasilnate1TaraC73
  • Cheese on toast.

Or if you're feeling adventurous, cheese on baked beans on toast.
    TaraC73
  • When I lived in Boston, I would typically order Indian food on Thanksgiving. It was fantastic. But Indian food is fantastic any day of the year. 

Good Indian food is. I rarely didn't those in the us though, so much Americanised, kormas and tikkas at best :-(
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA

When I lived in Boston, I would typically order Indian food on Thanksgiving. It was fantastic. But Indian food is fantastic any day of the year. 

Good Indian food is. I rarely didn't those in the us though, so much Americanised, kormas and tikkas at best :-(
    Oh I'm positive that is the case. But I was born in Wyoming, raised in Central California, spent my twenties and half of my thirties in Boston, and now have landed in Northern California. Out of all of those, Boston offered the most culturally diverse food, regardless of how Americanised it was. I know I've had crummy Indian food, and I've had, what I consider, good Indian food, but I doubt it stands up to what can be offered elsewhere. 
  • My go to for years and years is Chinese food.  It's actually annoying how many people do that now.  20 years ago, it was just me and a handful of people, it was nice.  Now everyone does the JW tradition of chinese and a movie.  Yes, I know, I'm being a holiday hipster.

MichelleChiefPizza
  • I know for sure Chinese restaurants,7-11 & our local bodegas are open around here.  Since there is no Lactaid in the house today, I'll probably buy some Shrimp & Broccoli with Brown Rice and a chicken teriyaki stick.
    Vasilnate1Michelle
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I was wrong. The local Chinese spot was closed so I settled for Blimpie.
    Vasilnate1Michelle
  • russkellyrusskelly Indianapolis
    edited December 2018
    Oh, look at this old thread... Cool! ***Dusts it off*** 
    So what are you guys eating? We do the Chinese thing, too. It is what it is. Also, I read in a novel (maybe A Tree Grows in Brooklyn? Not sure...) that tangerines are a big Christmas thing and ever since I read that, from wherever it was, I associate citrus stuff with Christmas. Does anybody else do that? Also, for the second straight day, I have eaten one of those chocolate oranges you only see around Christmas time. I love these things. Merry Christmas, you filthy animals! :)

FlukesMichelle
  • russkellyrusskelly Indianapolis
    edited December 2018
    Also. if you have a dude deliver you some Kung Pao in five feet of snow on Christmas day, make sure you tip the homie. I'm talking about a tip that can be classified as a Christmas gift. Tis the season. $$$.
    FlukesMichelleDummyGiovanni
  • Christmas Eve this year we're getting Indian or Thai takeout. I'm not gonna cook two fancy meals in two days!

On Christmas day I might try to make some sort of savory pie ... been watching too much Great British Baking Show!
    Michelle
  • MrX said:
    Christmas Eve this year we're getting Indian or Thai takeout. I'm not gonna cook two fancy meals in two days!

On Christmas day I might try to make some sort of savory pie ... been watching too much Great British Baking Show!
    We do Indian on Xmas every year. Simple, delicious, and easy cleanup
    MrXMichelle
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    this year it's prime rib & tamales! twice baked potatoes and cesar salad sides for the prime rib. rice, beans and salsa sides for the tamales.
    gguenotMichelleNoelrusskellyDummycdrive
  • MichelleMichelle California
    My family is so traditional - ham, prime rib. rolls, mashed potatoes, gravy, veg, and green bean casserole.
    It's delicious, but I love so many other foods that I wish they'd branch out every once in a while.  I'd love tamales or Indian food for a change!
    russkellygguenot
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    russkelly said:
    Oh, look at this old thread... Cool! ***Dusts it off*** 
    So what are you guys eating? We do the Chinese thing, too. It is what it is. Also, I read in a novel (maybe A Tree Grows in Brooklyn? Not sure...) that tangerines are a big Christmas thing and ever since I read that, from wherever it was, I associate citrus stuff with Christmas. Does anybody else do that? Also, for the second straight day, I have eaten one of those chocolate oranges you only see around Christmas time. I love these things. Merry Christmas, you filthy animals! :)

I had one of these oranges years ago - my old boss brought a bunch into the office. I had t thought of them for years and years. I got one last year from a client and this year I bought a handful to put on the dessert table on Christmas Day. You can get a case of, I think, 30 on amazon for $60 :)
    russkelly
  • edited December 2018
    When I've done Christmas dinner every year it was prime rib for 20-30. This year someone else is hosting because  someone in my house had surgery last week. So they are getting a ham. WTF? Why not see if McDonald's drive thru is open? OK, I'll take a breath and get into the Christmas spirit now. GGggrrrrrrr
    russkelly
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    CapeGabe said:
    When I've done Christmas dinner every year it was prime rib for 20-30. This year someone else is hosting because  someone in my house had surgery last week. So they are getting a ham. WTF? Why not see if McDonald's drive thru is open? OK, I'll take a breath and get into the Christmas spirit now. GGggrrrrrrr
    Wait, is Christmas ham not a thing there? It’s pretty standard Aus chrissy fair. 
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited December 2018
    Just got back from my Dad’s traditional party which is a Scotch & Oysters event.  
    Necessities:
    Raw oysters and fried oysters.
    Clam chowder. 
    Scotch. (I brought a 14 yr Glennfiddich)

Then fish and shrimp get dropped in the fryer. And peel boiled shrimp is a must too.  I brought a “Houston’s restaurant” copy cat / lawsuit recipe chopped cole slaw. 

russkellyFreddy