Fortitude

DeeDee Adelaide
Did anyone else watch Fortitude? I found the first episode a bit confusing and I'm not sure of anyone's motivations yet, but I'm intrigued enough to keep watching.

Comments

• I had the same reaction @Dee. It had some interesting components, but it was cut very oddly. Like you, I'm still curious and intrigued by a few parts of the story, so I'll keep watching. I did love this shot.

• DeeDee Adelaide
    @hypergenesb Yes, visually it was beautiful.

It took me a while to realise that the chief cop was Beric Dondarrion from Game of Thrones. I thought he was some Norwegian actor and I was wondering why he looked so familiar.
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    I came for Eccleston... and...well fuck. I'll probably still watch the show though...I like the setting and it reminds me of "The Thing" which is always good :) Something weird is going on in the town though, and I am intrigued to find out what it is....

and @Dee thanks for mentioning Beric Dondarrion, that was driving me crazy!
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @aberry89 I was bummed about them killing off Eccleston - I love him!
  • I liked the first episode, so I'll keep watching. At first, I thought the sheriff was the same actor that played Lane on Mad Men; I don't remember him from GOT. Maybe they'll bring Eccleston back in flashbacks. Hard to believe he's out of the game so soon.
    edited February 2015
    @Dee @Amelia I feel like they wouldn't kill him off so early either...I feel like he will still be in the show, though it's hard to speculate how at this point. They keep showing those mammoth bones or whatever they are...and I am guessing there's some sort of virus in what they dug up. Maybe Eccleston will be believed dead and miraculously recover, kind of like how that kid was really sick and then all of the sudden got better. But I have a feeling if he recovers he will be different...
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Speaking of the kid, what was that climbing out the window thing? That was weird - I thought it was a dream at first. Was he just delirious or what?
  • There's a lot of weird going on - the way Eccleston's character was killed, the girl who has am affair with the kid's dad, that poor pig at the medical facility. Maybe they are going the supernatural route or maybe it's a virus or secret experiments. I hope everything is eventually resolved in a satisfying manner. Every time I see a polar bear I have "Lost" PTSD symptoms.
    Yeah, at this point I can't tell if the show is just really strangely cut and it's poor editing and storytelling, or if they are doing it on purpose to keep us completely in the dark.
    Anyone watch episode 2? Eccleston is sooo not dead...there is some weird experiments going on (pig?) but he's gonna get resurrected or something. He had a pulse, was brought to hospital...and then died off screen....nahh he was def whisked away for some experiment. I really wish Eccleston a bigger character in this show, he is such a great actor :(
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @aberry89 I thought that the doctor was lying about Eccleston having been alive for some reason. I'm so confused!
  • The second episode sealed it for me that this wasn't going to great show, but I'm so damn curious about what's going on there (beyond polar bears, rando hookups & plans for hotels in a melting glacier), I'm going to keep watching.
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Bummer I don't have the Pivot channel.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    To me it's like an English language version of a Scandinavian crime show - I always find them baffling for a while. I'm along for the ride though, and I'm loving Stanley Tucci in it.
    @Dee Now that you mention it, are there any good Scandinavian crime shows I should know about?
  • The Danish version of The Killing is good. (Forbrydelsen). As is the Danish version of The Bridge, but it's not as good as the British/French version called The Tunnel. But my favorite is the Danish political drama, Borgen. So good.
    pavlovsbell
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @aberry89 As above - Forbrydelsen and Borgen. I also really like Wallander, which I think is Swedish? There's a British version of that with Kenneth Brannagh that's pretty good too.

And yes, even though it's not Scandinavian, The Tunnel is really good, and I enjoyed it much more than the original Danish version and US remake, neither of which I could get into at all.
  • Regarding Fortitude, I'll probably wait until all the episodes are out and watch the entire show then. With all the other TV I'm watching, I'm having a hard time remembering who's who and what's what from one week to the next.

The Tunnel is indeed excellent. I particularly enjoyed Stephen Dillane's performance in a very non-Stannis role.
  • Are you guys still watching the show? Is it worth catching up with?
  • I'm current on Fortitude. I suspect it's a YMMV scenario. It just hasn't gelled like I would've liked. For the last few eps I've been "meh," close to dropping out. But I keep hanging on hoping that it will end strong.
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    I've been letting the episodes accumulate on the DVR, along with Babylon.  I'm not sure when, or even if, I'll get around to watching them before I clean up the DVR in time for GoT and Mad Men.  I might just wait until they inevitably show up on a streaming service.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I'm up to date. It's hella weird and half the time I have no idea what's going on. I think I like it...?
    edited March 2015
    Pretty lukewarm all around it seems. The first episode presented this show that I thought would have this building dread and tension, and the isolation of the town would become this ever present noose becoming tighter and tighter with each episode....that was the show I wanted to watch.  Probably because of the location and weird, just beneath the surface, tension the first episode had that I equated it to the movie "The Thing" (one of my all time favorites!!!).   

But it lost that quality very quick and is now quite stagnant. I will keep up with this thread since I am not keeping up with this show - just in case something crazy happens.
    hypergenesb
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    It's not what I expected - I thought it was going to be some faux-Nordic crime thriller but it's got that strange supernatural bent and there are too many threads going on that may or may not tie together. I really like the atmosphere, I like most of the actors, and I have no life so TV is pretty much my main hobby, so I'll keep going! Hopefully it will come together in a satisfactory way.
  • Seems to be a show I can skip, especially with so much great tv available these days. Maybe I'll watch it in the summer - those icy landscapes might be refreshing when a heat wave hits.