706 - "Swear"

Comments

• Natter CastNatter Cast San Francisco, CA
    edited November 2016
    "Sand in the Ass Crack" should join "Bowl Shit" and "Dry Pie" in the Bald Move pantheon of pith.

Like, for example, on Game of Thrones, the Battle of the Bastards was pretty great...but Sansa not telling Jon about Littlefinger's reinforcements, and Jon not discovering them for himself during a routine scouting report, really puts the sand in my ass crack.
    Melia004steph_bMelonuskBourbonQueen
  • AjasAjas Seattle, WA
    For the first time, I'm going to just fore-go watching the episode and listen to the podcast instead.

But I'll be back with some firmly-worded criticisms as soon as I'm done!
    Natter Castarchangel479mwspiakbrewsevelt
  • Ajas said:

For the first time, I'm going to just fore-go watching the episode and listen to the podcast instead.

I haven't watched this one or the last. And this is from the kind of fan that used to buy each episode on amazon. I couldn't even make myself watch it this time. I love the universe and just about everything related to it. I will always listen to the podcast. I'm going to end up watching these in a marathon or on Netflix at this point. Maybe I'll focus on finishing the last compendium.
    Natter CastGeorge
    Ajas said:

I find that I enjoy the show a whole lot more since I've stopped watching it.
    Vasilnate1April_May_JunemanhattnikHeisenburgermichielterlouw
  • LukeLuke Central Illinois
    Ajas said:

I've been doing this since the second episode this season, it's the most I have enjoyed TWD in years. If the finale is good maybe I'll binge watch the rest of this season. As of now though the podcast summaries are enough for me.

I'm also less motivated to watch live now that there is going to be an uncensored Netflix/DVD version of the show .
  • Not sure this is the absolute worst but this sure does rank among them. Unfortunately, there are a few to choose from spanning the 6.5 seasons of the show's run. A major red flag was the "in coming weeks" promo at the end of 705. So in the days leading up to this episode, I had already chalked this one up as a throwaway episode. Throw it away and burn the negative indeed.

In general, one problem seems to stem from the construct of the 16-episode season which can probably be reduced by 3 if not 6 episodes. The result of stretching this out is gonna be doozies like this one - an episode that should have never been a standalone and would have been better served as a complement to an A storyline. I mean the importance of what the Oceanside community has to offer the ASZ could still have been highlighted in snippets in an earlier episode.

All this said I am still invested just enough in the show TBH. Partly down to a curiosity of where this is going - because it does seem like there is a direction in which this is headed. At the end of the day, it is entertainment. The moment that it rises to the level of raising my blood pressure (which it clearly has done for some), no fanfare but just time to check out.

• TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    edited November 2016
    Havent read here or listened yet but DAMN I hated this whole fucking episode. Probably the worst episode in the whole series.
    S. Smith
  • Yep shocking episode, I only had a thought before with the bowl shit sand trap of walkers. Could all those walkers have been shot by the Saviours and actually be the men from Castle Anthrax? I think it could make sense but why would they not explain that in the end. Oh yeah that's right because the Gimple is just as bad as his writers
    manhattniksteph_b
  • Aries0083Aries0083 Brooklyn, NY
    During Thanksgiving SYFY had a Z Nation Marathon. And one of the episodes involved a colony of women, who killed all the men, and exiled the boys after 13. I'm really glad that this episode didn't turn out being the same.
    manhattnik
  • Kela15Kela15 Malta, Europe
    Technically I should have loved an episode with an all-female settlement and focus on a female character. Nevertheless, the fact that Fistbump was spared not once, not twice, not thrice, but...I've lost count now... was just so improbable and made no sense at all. And what was Cindy's real motivation for sparing her? That was never really made clear. Besides, despite being on the road for two weeks and with Heath supposedly driving off in the RV, Tara still manages to get back home with no sweat ON FOOT! So where's Heath? And if Negan and the Savious spared the women, where on earth did they get all those weapons and ammo from???

This has gone so very Fear the Walking Dead for me too, so I really understand Jim and A.Ron's doubts on covering TWD in the future... although I would miss the podcast to be honest.

BTW the actor playing Heath has really lost quite a bit of weight.
  • I really hope Jim and A.Ron don't check out but yes this was the worst episode of twd and I hope they corse correct with these episodes soon.
    TaraC73
  • Like just get on with the negan plot line! It's incredible material they have for it so just stick to it
  • Argh....

But-I feel like I'm used to it now. Maybe the stupid Hospital story line trained me.  I honestly am not sure this is any worse than any other of the weird mid half season episodes.

I will say I am completely over the walkers.  And I think Nicotero has way too much leeway with his nonsense.  Zombies are either scary or they aren't and I don't need to see one barfing up sand or getting crushed by a tractor or anything else.  

I find it to be boring and distracting and frankly I think it is a bit self indulgent of him- its like -Dude we get it-you're ridiculously good at what you do, but enough already.

If they spent half the time on story that they spend on trying to figure out "new and exciting" ways to show us walkers/killing of walkers the show would be better for it.  Its like they don't really understand suspense.  Duh- if you over expose people to something they will eventually get used to it and it becomes less scary.  

I am super tired of seeing a walker on the screen and immediately thinking of Nicotero and his special effects instead of what is going on with the characters.  Okay-time to listen to the podcast

• Oh- and one more thing-

Does anyone understand A why they aren't still finding tons of stuff?  The amount of shit in this country is mind boggling.  And what like 10% of the population is left?  I would love it if someone could explain this to me.

And B-these people aren't out in the Mojave desert nor are they in Alaska.  Why the f aren't there more people just growing food? It was the same thing that annoyed me about Terminus.  I kept thinking if you idiots put half the energy into growing food as you do into being efficient cannibals you'd have plenty of food....okay-now I'm done ranting :)
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    So there were two women accompanying Tara out, right? What happened to the other? Shotgun eventually had her dead to rights and had to give a big speech cause that's what you do in the zombie apocalypse but where did the other woman go? She just disappeared like a fart in the wind until we see them pulling Cindy back away from the sand zombies.
    voodooratskelter
  • So there were two women accompanying Tara out, right? What happened to the other? Shotgun eventually had her dead to rights and had to give a big speech cause that's what you do in the zombie apocalypse but where did the other woman go? She just disappeared like a fart in the wind until we see them pulling Cindy back away from the sand zombies.

yep.  these aren't the droids you're looking for.
    Murderbear
  • The problem with the Walking Dead anymore is that the showrunner and writers are more concerned about making the show look cool then creating a good storyline that the audience can get attached too. EVERY episode we see a scene where there's a cool zombie kill or a cool group of zombies that got a real cool makeup job. They could care less about developing characters and creating an emotional attachment between the character and the audience. That's what Darabon got and did so well. The audience CARED about its main characters because the writers gave a shit about character development. Hell, they even cared about making the zombies sympathetic figures. One of my favorite scenes of the Walking Dead was in season 1 when Rick came back to the park and put the crippled zombie out of its misery and told her "I'm sorry this happened to you." Before shooting her in the head. That was powerful and great writing. Now here we are in season 7 and the zombies are so irrelevant to the story and are just cool props. Okay, that's enough of a rant from me but my hope is Gimple and the writers get canned and somebody who gets character development gets the job.
    S. Smithmwspiak
  • @JTKill
     Yep!  But I honestly just don't think they get it.  And I have no idea why. If you look at the last 20? years of television it tells you one thing and that is CHARACTER development.

And you are right-too much emphasis on making it look cool.  I think the thing that is even more frustrating about it is they don't even need to be that good.  I'm not asking for Mad Men level writing, I just want them to pick up the character development that is sitting there on the f'ing floor.  

Tara should have been DEVASTATED.  Not just because of Denise, but hello? She's been with Glenn since the prison.  This stuff could be so easily put in, I don't get it.

Murderbear
    Yeah, Eugene's ugly cry face is the stand in for any real emotional outpouring this episode. Stupid. They could have easily found time to give her a real, genuine moment. Naw. And I didn't even think of the Glen-Tara connection @S. Smith. Well played.
    S. SmithBourbonQueen
  • ThomasThomas North Carolina
    Tara is just the worst character on this show.  She is so boring and, I am sorry, but seeing someone as visibly out of shape as her run and avoid all these in shape looking women kind of pissed me off.
  • Thomas said:

Tara is just the worst character on this show.  She is so boring and, I am sorry, but seeing someone as visibly out of shape as her run and avoid all these in shape looking women kind of pissed me off.

I'm not trying to be rude, but she isn't out of shape, she's postnatal.  It takes a little while to lose the fat reserve your body builds up to support a baby. 

And I don't think she's the worst character on the show, I like her awkwardness.  She is honestly trying to connect with people around her, and when most characters have walled themselves off emotionally it is kind of nice to see her still reaching out.

Having said that, they might have had her be a little more clever and evasive than being able to out-run other characters.
    amhatchbrewseveltphoenyx1023
    edited November 2016
    Some insight into how it is AMC is treating the top-rated cable drama this way:

My brother was a writer on a bad (really bad) sitcom. It was a standard "goofy dad/hot wife/snarky kids" living room, kitchen and bedroom show.

The writers would consistently come up with great ideas...really dark stuff...that the show runner would love, then nix.  Why?  Because that's not the show they sold and the first rule is you produce the show you sell.

Why does Walking Dead endlessly repeat their core themes?  Because they have a large audience, which means they don't have an incredibly loyal audience.  Large numbers of viewers are dropping in for just a few episodes a season.

The show they sold is the Morgalizing Dead.  Morgalizing got them their initial critical acclaim, and so Morgalizing is the core of the product they sell.  Only walkers themselves are more core.

So that's the show they sold, so that's the show they produce.  Walking Dead is a formula show, like SVU, not a marquee show like Breaking Bad. They may be freed up a bit as ratings drop...that frequently happens.  But rarely does it result in a better show.

If history is any indication, season 8 or 9 will take place in a normal world, no walkers anywhere.  PTSD Rick will spend the whole season attempting to re-adapt to the old world.  Then it'll turn out to all be a dream.
  • Only picked up on this after listening to another podcast (gasp!) and have come up with a theory of where this is going.... Hear me out... 

So it was pointed out in above mentioned podcast that Heath and Tara took the RV they were driving from the satellite Savior base. I think Heath stuck around, and Saviors recognized the RV after being drawn by gunfire, and came upon Heath. I think a fight ensued, a Savior lost his key card (labeled PPP), which will end up being the name of a labeled gate of some kind at the compound.

I believe the Saviors will come back to Alexandria with Heath, and kill him (which will allow the actor to exit and become the new Jack Bauer). This way Tara will know what happened to Heath, Rosita will use this as an opportunity to recruit Tara into her "rebellion" plot, and through surveillance (by Carl or Jesus?) Tara will realize she literally holds the key to entering the Savior compound. 

Tara dies in the fight, and will forever be heralded as a hero. 

As will I be, for being such a genius and solving the Great Mystery of WTF Is Happening With Season 7. 

;)
  • Ok - this is the second week in a row Jim and A-Ron have complained about something in the show that "doesn't make sense" only because they weren't paying attention or were just looking for things to complain about.

Last week, they complained about Jesus and the blue flowers - not remembering that Jesus brought blue flowers to Maggie when she was laid up, and green for the graves. Maggie even asked him if he brought the flowers to her room. That's why they were discussing the significance of blue flowers.

This week, they acted like the bells/air horn doesn't make sense. Yes it does. You have a succession of bells and horn that just direct the walkers away from the camp. One nearby goes, then one further away in the same direction, and so on. Once you get the walkers moving away from camp, the bells stop and they just meander away. It makes a ton of sense if you aren't actively trying to find things to bitch about.

There, I got that off my chest. There are certainly a lot of things to dislike about the show lately, but we don't need to go off the deep end looking for them.
    MurderbearvoodooratillmaticyrhendystugjulleenJulz
  • All I have left to say about TWD these days is that it is the McDonalds of TV. It may be popular, but that doesn't mean it is great. 
    I'm becoming a hater on this show but @ThriceOnSundays brings up a good point.

I was also getting weirdly frustrated they were referring to the Tara/Heath flashback as a possible flash forward. If it was your first time watching then, I guess you might think it could possibly be that way but when you're podcasting about an episode you've seen in its entirety, then that is just silly. You know how it ended. You know she didn't see him again...minor point. Doesn't really matter. I think they were just frustrated with the show like most everyone else.
    Julz
  • I'm becoming a hater on this show but @ThriceOnSundays brings up a good point.

I was also getting weirdly frustrated they were referring to the Tara/Heath flashback as a possible flash forward. If it was your first time watching then, I guess you might think it could possibly be that way but when you're podcasting about an episode you've seen in its entirety, then that is just silly. You know how it ended. You know she didn't see him again...minor point. Doesn't really matter. I think they were just frustrated with the show like most everyone else.

yeah, i think that was a little confusing because they showed him apparently abandoning her then later he was back.  clearly a flashback but still confusing because two apparently different things happened in it (i was a little confused, anyway, but i also wasn't watching that intently).  on the bells thing, yeah, i just took that at face value that they had a bunch of bells (and an airhorn) set up at varying distances to entice away excited zombies with noise.

all that said, once you lose faith in a show you don't give it the benefit of the doubt on the stuff you don't immediately catch, you assume they messed it up like usual rather than trying to figure out how it might make sense.  not always fair, but there's an understandable reason for having that reaction.
    S. Smith
  • This week, they acted like the bells/air horn doesn't make sense. Yes it does. You have a succession of bells and horn that just direct the walkers away from the camp. One nearby goes, then one further away in the same direction, and so on. Once you get the walkers moving away from camp, the bells stop and they just meander away. It makes a ton of sense if you aren't actively trying to find things to bitch about.

I've always wondered how effective these kinds of systems would be at protecting a camp. They seem dangerous because the noises might also attract zombies from the wrong direction, or from the other side of the camp. At least once we have seen people letting off fireworks at night. That could attract zombies from scores of miles away.
    S. SmithvoodooratTaraC73
  • voodoorat said:

yeah, i think that was a little confusing because they showed him apparently abandoning her then later he was back.  clearly a flashback but still confusing because two apparently different things happened in it (i was a little confused, anyway, but i also wasn't watching that intently).

That was bizarre. It seemed like they just left out the part where Heath tried to save Tara the first time to "trick" us into thinking Heath had turned evil. A completely unnecessary "twist".
  • S. Smith said:

Oh- and one more thing-

Does anyone understand A why they aren't still finding tons of stuff?  The amount of shit in this country is mind boggling.  And what like 10% of the population is left?  I would love it if someone could explain this to me.

Negan's taxes are brutal :-)

Realistically, I think most of the drugs, food and gasoline would have expired by this point.
    S. Smith