706 - "Swear"

Comments

• Aron and Jim said they are unsure about continuing to cover TWD in the newest podcast. 

This would be very unfortunate. The newest podcast for "Swear" was one of the funniest I have ever listened to from the guys. It was hilarious listening to them get so worked over how bad "Swear" was. I hope you guys aren't too miserable doing it, but I think it is fantastic content still. 
    voodooratVasilnate1S. SmithJTKIIIDoubleA_Ron
  • illmatic said:

Aron and Jim said they are unsure about continuing to cover TWD in the newest podcast. 

This would be very unfortunate. The newest podcast for "Swear" was one of the funniest I have ever listened to from the guys. It was hilarious listening to them get so worked over how bad "Swear" was. I hope you guys aren't too miserable doing it, but I think it is fantastic content still. 

They should always keep 1 bad show in the line-up, everyone needs someone or something to hate and pick on(Meg Griffin), its makes all the other shows look and feel better by comparison 
  • skelterskelter Louisville, KY

So there were two women accompanying Tara out, right? What happened to the other? Shotgun eventually had her dead to rights and had to give a big speech cause that's what you do in the zombie apocalypse but where did the other woman go? She just disappeared like a fart in the wind until we see them pulling Cindy back away from the sand zombies.

Man, things like this drive me nuts in movies and TV. ALso, how many times do we need to see a bad guy chasing the good guy trying to kill them, they catch them but then stop to deliver a lengthy monologue before someone swoops in to save them at the last second
  • Kela15Kela15 Malta, Europe
    I saw an interesting post on twd reddit but can't seem to locate it now. In the bridge scene just before Heath(seemingly) disappears behind the tarpaulin, the shot cuts away to Tara, then back to where Heath seems to be heading, only we see what appears to be a young boy or girl with blonde hair, and from the back, moving behind the tarpaulin, not Heath. What? Is this an editing error, a fresh walker or something else? I rewatched the scene today and saw it for myself. Am intrigued. Any ideas anyone?
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    Thomas said:

Tara is just the worst character on this show.  She is so boring and, I am sorry, but seeing someone as visibly out of shape as her run and avoid all these in shape looking women kind of pissed me off.

Fuck you, Thomas.

http://comicbook.com/thewalkingdead/2016/11/30/the-walking-deads-alanna-masterson-puts-body-shaming-trolls-in-t/
    Vasilnate1phoenyx1023davemcbMrXamhatchbrewseveltOliviaDDanixulsolar22

• I've always wondered how effective these kinds of systems would be at protecting a camp. They seem dangerous because the noises might also attract zombies from the wrong direction, or from the other side of the camp. At least once we have seen people letting off fireworks at night. That could attract zombies from scores of miles away.

I'm sure I won't be able to appropriately explain it. But the key is that they are on a shoreline, so if you had a line of noisemakers starting from camp and leading out in either shoreline direction, and they were timed to go off from the camp outwards and spaced enough that you could barely hear the next furthest bell away, you'd essentially be directing walkers away from the camp at all times. Even if they came from inland, they'd hear the closest noise, walk that way, then the next furthest out and so on. The goal is to get them moving in a direction away from you and get them far enough away so they don't hear the closest bell when the system resets. That would seemingly always be directing walkers away from you. Even if one came from the shoreline, they'd eventually get turned around by the direction of the bells.
  • Vasilnate1Vasilnate1 Salem, MA
    edited November 2016
    TaraC73 said:

Thomas said:

Tara is just the worst character on this show.  She is so boring and, I am sorry, but seeing someone as visibly out of shape as her run and avoid all these in shape looking women kind of pissed me off.

Fuck you, Thomas.

http://comicbook.com/thewalkingdead/2016/11/30/the-walking-deads-alanna-masterson-puts-body-shaming-trolls-in-t/
    I wanted to like this twice, but instead I'll repeat

FUCK YOU, Thomas!
    TaraC73amhatchbrewsevelt
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited November 2016
    Guys lets keep it civil. Thomas definitely said something very dickish but I'm proud of the Bald Move forums and it's the only forums I regularly comment on because it never devolves into hating. Let's keep it that way.
    S. SmithMurderbear
  • Hatorian said:

Guys lets keep it civil. Thomas definitely said something very dickish but I'm proud of the Bald Move forums and it's the only forums I regularly comment on because it never devolves into hating. Let's keep it that way.

I'm not even sure his comment was _that_ dickish.

Personally, I don't keep track of which actress is pregnant and which isn't. When I watched the episode last night, I thought once or twice: "Tara seems bigger than when she left Alexandria two weeks ago. What happened?". It seemed a bit of a distracting continuity error, highlighted by the fact that the writers made her do a lot of running and jumping.

Afterwards, when I read about the actress just giving birth and how she worked extremely hard to film action scenes as well as take care of her newborn .... sure, that explains it all (in hindsight). Respect to her, that's an amazing achievement.

But does that mean we cannot critisize how Tara, the character (not the actress), is being written?

Feel free to set me straight; I'll shut up and listen. I don't mind about being right or wrong on this one. Just like to better understand and learn.

Hatorian said:

I don't hate many people... certainly not Thomas. I wouldn't hate someone for one stupid ass comment.

Confrontation isn't really my thing. I just needed to call him out so he sees how out of line his comment was. Fuck you isn't really a threat; more of a suggestion LOL.

Peace!
    S. SmithVasilnate1
  • Stormyfan said:

All I have left to say about TWD these days is that it is the McDonalds of TV. It may be popular, but that doesn't mean it is great. 

Both bring on strong feelings of nostalgia for something I have loved. Both usually disappoint, and often lead to intestinal discomfort. Both refuse to pay much for employees. I think you're on to something!
    Murderbear
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    The fact that Tara is a little out of shape was addressed by the show when she was out of breath for quite a while after the big chase through the woods. I think I'm similar to A.Ron in that I'm a bigger guy and certainly out of shape, but I'm faster than what you would probably expect. I would also be in that same boat she is in and after I made my escape I'd be wheezing and coughing and desperately searching for any nearby oxygen.

I think, and I certainly don't want to speak for anyone but his bigger point was about the believability of those other women not catching her. Clearly they are the badasses of that group and I'm sure after a couple of years in the zombie apocalypse, their cardio game would be on point. Tara's isn't because that's not who she is and she hasn't had to be. If the show didn't want to show her being out of shape, they could have easily edited around it and just left that out. Maybe that would have been even more unbelievable, I don't know. But they also left a couple of her god-awful struggles with the zombies on the bridge in so I don't think believability is what they are aiming for anymore.
  • edited November 2016
    Hatorian said:

I'm not even sure his comment was _that_ dickish.

Personally, I don't keep track of which actress is pregnant and which isn't. When I watched the episode last night, I thought once or twice: "Tara seems bigger than when she left Alexandria two weeks ago. What happened?". It seemed a bit of a distracting continuity error, highlighted by the fact that the writers made her do a lot of running and jumping.

Afterwards, when I read about the actress just giving birth and how she worked extremely hard to film action scenes as well as take care of her newborn .... sure, that explains it all (in hindsight). Respect to her, that's an amazing achievement.

But does that mean we cannot critisize how Tara, the character (not the actress), is being written?

Feel free to set me straight; I'll shut up and listen. I don't mind about being right or wrong on this one. Just like to better understand and learn.

Speaking on the comments in general, people weren't just criticizing the writing, they were criticizing HER (and have been since she was pregnant).

"Hmm, Tara has put on some weight" is certainly different than "Eww, why is this "fat" woman on my screen running," which is essentially what the comments against her amounted to. Even if she wasn't postpartum and had just put on a little weight, the comments would still be vile.

And "visibly in shape" is just silly. I'm a gym rat and see "bigger" folks or older folks go hard without breaking a sweat and skinny folks almost cough up a lung all the time.

I just don't take kindly to the Stay at Home Son troll brigade (not directed at Thomas, just in general) attacking a woman's weight, probably while wiping Cheeto dust from their fingers and pissing Mountain Dew.
    TaraC73amhatchbrewseveltlondoncalling
  • michielterlouwmichielterlouw Helsinki
    edited November 2016

I guess I'm not sure what exactly pissed off @Thomas so much: "What the hell happened to this character?" or "Eww, why is this "fat" woman on my screen running"....

The latter is definitely dickish.
    TaraC73
  • Oh my....

Against my better judgment I'm going to chime in.  I saw what @Thomas said and cringed a little when I first saw it, but then I read it again and in all fairness he truly did seem to be commenting on the filming with the super fit looking people not being able to catch Tara.  In real life people can be juicy and still run super fast, but it bugged him.

And I did the same thing sort of when I saw @TaraC73's "Fuck You".  I "know" her from here so I softened it in my head and read it as her laughingly saying "hey man-watch it".

I am chiming in on this because after this last year and a half in our lovely country I have watched person after person vilify people they don't know, accuse people of shit they haven't done, and essentially act like anyone who doesn't agree with them is somehow evil or at the least ill intentioned. 

We Americans have spent a year and half jumping all over each other's shit.  It is depressing, exhausting and likely far more of a problem for us as a Nation than any President will ever be.

Okay.  I'm done.  I'm going to go back to being pissed that they acted like somehow Tara would be upset about her recent (what 2 months) love interest than her friend who saved her life and she has been living and fighting with since the Godddamn prison!!!!! Argh!!!!!

TaraC73voodoorat
    @S. Smith That's more how I meant it... certainly not all "fuck you and your whole family and go die" more like "hey that was dickish. Not cool, bruh."

As far as Tara being sad about denise or not sad about Abraham/Glenn, the problem is WE DON'T FUCKING KNOW BECAUSE THE WRITERS DIDN'T TELL US!! Would it have been that difficult to take one segment to show us Eugene having an actual conversation and hearing/seeing Tara's reaction? I would have rathered that over her sitting there playing with a bobble head wondering what she's thinking.
    Dani
  • Real_NeoReal_Neo North Carolina
    "Look at what this show makes you do!"
    Jason Bourne

:)
  • edited November 2016
    TaraC73 said:

@S. Smith That's more how I meant it... certainly not all "fuck you and your whole family and go die" more like "hey that was dickish. Not cool, bruh."

@TaraC73 I honestly thought you were joking, not being malicious. It made me chuckle.

And if it wasn't clear, my comment was directed at the entirety of the situation, not Thomas specifically. No false vilification necessary, people are verifiably being vile.
    TaraC73Vasilnate1
  • I thought she was saying that because her name is Tara...

I thought the joke was she was interpreting it as criticism against her... the forum person.

Like, all of @Thomas's insults for the character was him making out of the blue, rude comments about her.

Which I thought was funny.

Because her name is Tara.
    TaraC73Melonusk
  • I stumbled upon the Bald Move community while watching True Detective season 2. Since then I've listened to several podcasts of yours for different shows.  I really like listening to you guys.  However, perhaps I am serving up 'dry pie' here, but yous guys use the word 'interesting' more than anyone I have ever heard.  I feel like we need to get a count on the word 'interesting' for each episode.  I was listening to the coverage of the fifth episode of Westworld and I feel sure you set a record. It was interesting.

That being said, you guys are too hard on ye ol' Walking Dead. I agree that this episode had some pretty poor points, but overall I was entertained... and after all that's what I go into a show for.

Secondly, I don't think you should drop the coverage of the show.  I mean it's only been a few weeks ago that you were pleading with the listening audience to help fund Bald Move.  If this is in the top three of your content, it would make sense to keep doing it.  I've got a guy that works for me that comes to my office and says, "Hey man, I need some money.  I want all the hours you can give me."  Then two days later asks me if he can go home early.....

Mostly I am trying to be funny.  I really enjoy what you guys do.
    MurderbearJulz
  • ThomasThomas North Carolina
    edited November 2016
    Wow people...never said fat.  I said someone who is out-of-shape...not fat.  She was outrunning, repeatedly, in-shape, athletic looking women.  How is that dickish?  That is like Eugene beating the hell out of Abraham in a fist fight, it just wouldn't make sense. 
    TaraC73
  • ThomasThomas North Carolina
    gjulleen said:

I thought she was saying that because her name is Tara...

I thought the joke was she was interpreting it as criticism against her... the forum person.

Like, all of @Thomas's insults for the character was him making out of the blue, rude comments about her.

Which I thought was funny.

Because her name is Tara.
    That is exactly how I took her comment, as a joke.
    TaraC73S. Smith
    It's all good Thomas - water under the sand-pile walker covered bridge!
    MurderbearS. SmithVasilnate1
  • Natter CastNatter Cast San Francisco, CA
    I agree that seeing a physically out of shape person outrun a physically fit person strains credulity.  Also zombies are impossible too.
    MurderbearTaraC73
  • Alana Masterson's own words:

Dear Instagram trolls, body shamers, and the men and woman who think it's ok to comment on my weight: I hope that you don't have children. And if you do, I hope you teach them about kindness and acceptance," she writes alongside a photo of her daughter.

"I hope they learn that it isn't ok to make fun of people or call people names. I hope one day YOU learn what it takes to be a parent. A kind, selfless parent. A working parent. A parent that puts themselves in someone else's shoes," she continues. "Maybe you can't get it through your thick f--king skull, but nursing a baby for a year (and pumping in a van between takes, in the dead of summer in Georgia) is a lot of work, determination, and scheduling."

"So before you decide to make a comment about my chest being 'too large' or how 'fat' I've become, just know that this little girl got the best start to life," she adds, referencing her adorable little girl. "I wouldn't have changed it for a second. I would've gladly continued to eat enough calories to produce milk for her little bones to grow."

"Also, grow the f--k up. Your mother should be ashamed for raising such a judgmental bully," she writes. "I'm sure she knows how 'courageous' you must be for trolling and hiding behind your Iphone and computers. P.s. I would LOVE to see any man or woman give birth to a baby, nurse the baby, and then work 17 hour days and NAIL their own stunts. P.s.s. Be kind to each other. We need it now more than ever."

• Thomas said:

Wow people...never said fat.  I said someone who is out-of-shape...not fat.  She was outrunning, repeatedly, in-shape, athletic looking women.  How is that dickish?  That is like Eugene beating the hell out of Abraham in a fist fight, it just wouldn't make sense. 

Thomas, I understand your comment and I don't believe you meant to be disparaging. But what indication do we have as viewers that Tara as a character is out of shape beside seeing her shapely post-natal body, or her bent over and gasping for air (as anyone would do after running for their life)? The show has not written her character as out of shape. 

I'm willing to let it lie completely, but sometimes we need to just own our shit. Because we're all human and all judge one another. But we shouldn't. What matters is learning and moving on. 
    TaraC73
  • I'm pretty sure if it were a better episode, her weight wouldn't have been brought up as much. It's honestly a nonissue, but people already had their pitchforks out for that crap fest so it only got worse. 
    TaraC73
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    *Don't say anything. Don't say anything. Don't say anything.*

Didn't she have trouble keeping up with Glenn when he was searching for Maggie after the prison incident?
    TaraC73
  • It was how good Tara seemed to be at fighting that I thought was weird. She got the better of the shotgun woman a couple of times. Characters suddenly become badasses when it's convenient for the plot. Like when Beth was escaping from Slabtown and perfectly headshotting every zombie, when it was established in "Still" that she was useless in combat.