706 - "Swear"

Comments

• It was how good Tara seemed to be at fighting that I thought was weird. She got the better of the shotgun woman a couple of times. Characters suddenly become badasses when it's convenient for the plot. Like when Beth was escaping from Slabtown and perfectly headshotting every zombie, when it was established in "Still" that she was useless in combat.

the characters on this show have long been (always been?) malleable and not particularly convincing plot contrivance devices.  there is not much "this is who she is, so this is what she does" writing.
  • amhatch said:

Thomas said:

Wow people...never said fat.  I said someone who is out-of-shape...not fat.  She was outrunning, repeatedly, in-shape, athletic looking women.  How is that dickish?  That is like Eugene beating the hell out of Abraham in a fist fight, it just wouldn't make sense. 

Thomas, I understand your comment and I don't believe you meant to be disparaging. But what indication do we have as viewers that Tara as a character is out of shape beside seeing her shapely post-natal body, or her bent over and gasping for air (as anyone would do after running for their life)? The show has not written her character as out of shape. 

The young woman who saved her life several times and guided her to the bridge (I forgot her name) was not out of breath at all when she caught up with Tara. The difference was very noticeable, and I assume intentional.
    TaraC73Vasilnate1
  • I'm not going to shame Tara for her physical appearance. Especially since she just had a kid but I think it's fair game to question her character. Her character should have died multiple times throughout last episode and the show potrays her as a badass. It's insulting to audience's intelligence. It's really hard for to invest in a character that's only alive because of bad writing.
    TaraC73
  • last week I was gonna tell you guys you should bring in some people less burned out on TWD to review the show because I thought you were just griping about stuff you'd seen too many times.
    But it was SO VERY satisfying to hear you rip this garbage episode to shreds! TWD - I'm out!
    At this point I hope the saviors win.
    AMC better not f up better call Saul.
  • Even though I was borderline obsessed with this show just two short years ago, consuming all theories, message boards, articles, attending TWD events and panels, and re-watching over and over, I'm over it. 

I will still watch, and am not quitting the show altogether, but I'm not invested any longer. I don't even care if they kill Daryl at this point. 

This season (and last year's finale) is going to go down in the record books as a lesson of what NOT to do with a successful television show, along the lines of "jumping the shark" on Happy Days. I can't imagine a scenario where they suck me back in, as the show and its direction is pretty much predictable, which makes it no fun to watch. 

There's messing with the fans to create a buzz, then there's completely fucking them over with ridiculous storytelling that are an insult to our intelligence. 
    TaraC73Murderbear
  • ThomasThomas North Carolina
    amhatch said:

Thomas said:

Wow people...never said fat.  I said someone who is out-of-shape...not fat.  She was outrunning, repeatedly, in-shape, athletic looking women.  How is that dickish?  That is like Eugene beating the hell out of Abraham in a fist fight, it just wouldn't make sense. 

Thomas, I understand your comment and I don't believe you meant to be disparaging. But what indication do we have as viewers that Tara as a character is out of shape beside seeing her shapely post-natal body, or her bent over and gasping for air (as anyone would do after running for their life)? The show has not written her character as out of shape. 

I'm willing to let it lie completely, but sometimes we need to just own our shit. Because we're all human and all judge one another. But we shouldn't. What matters is learning and moving on. 
    Anybody who is an athlete or health conscious can see she is not in shape.  If she was a man it wouldn't be an issue, but because she is a woman it is terrible, rude, and just awful.
    Hunter
  • Maybe I am paying too much attention to a turd of an episode and TWD obviously does not care about continuity but at the beginning to the episode didn't Tara and Heath jump over the barriers and walk toward the sand pile implying the community was on the sand pile side of the bridge then when Tara and other chick leave the community they climb over the same barriers and head toward the sand pile again.
    Murderbear
  • Thomas said:

amhatch said:

Thomas said:

Anybody who is an athlete or health conscious can see she is not in shape.  If she was a man it wouldn't be an issue, but because she is a woman it is terrible, rude, and just awful.

I didn't understand this comment.  Why wouldn't it be an issue if she was a man?  And I get that an opinion of the episode being terrible or awful is pretty legit, but how was it rude?

And as for her being out of shape, I know a woman who is built pretty close to that who runs a marathon every quarter of the year and 5k four times a week.  I don't know her time, but its better than average.  I know an older (50-ish woman) who is pretty heavyset- not fat, but pear shaped, and she runs 3 miles with my running group every week and I know she runs on her own as well.

I consider myself health conscious, I run and do light weight lifting although I don't consider myself an athlete.  Tara doesn't strike me as wildly out of shape.  As agile as they made her seem?  Probably not.  Able to run, with the help of adrenaline in a life and death situation?  Sure.
    TaraC73phoenyx1023amhatch
    Ok, that is your opinion.  My opinion is still that it is a small annoyance seeing someone not in shape out run fit looking people.  Doesn't mean I am right and you're wrong.  Either way, Tara is still my least favorite character of the group so I am biased.
    Hunter
  • Vasilnate1Vasilnate1 Salem, MA
    edited December 2016
    I agree that it is terrible writing that put Tara in that particular situation in the first place. I think what @TaraC73 and I read, was that the you were putting down the actress for being heavy.  She is actually quite attractive IMO.

I also agree that if it had been Eugene that outran some visibly more in shape dudes, that we all would be calling him a "fat ass".  Lets all agree to blame the show for being terrible!

TaraC73
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    edited December 2016
    Ditto - I think she's actually quite pretty IRL!

I re-read what you said and totally get where you were coming from. Maybe because I'm a chubby gal myself, I didn't even think twice about her outrunning a thinner person... i would probably die of oxygen loss but if my life were at stake I would absolutely run like hell. I enjoyed her sucking wind after the chase and could totally see myself in the same situation. (Sucking wind after a frantic run - not the part about being chased by a gun toting survivalist!)
    Vasilnate1gjulleen
    The actress is attractive, yes, but that was never in question.  What was in question was the character of Tara being portrayed in a role that she clearly is not fit for. 
    Vasilnate1TaraC73Hunter
  • michielterlouwmichielterlouw Helsinki
    edited December 2016
    I like how the Bald Move community can go from "Fuck you, Thomas" to "I get where you were coming from". If flame wars were zombies, then @TaraC73 just scored zombie kill of the week. Fist pump!
    TaraC73S. Smith

I like how the Bald Move community can go from "Fuck you, Thomas" to "I get where you were coming from". If flame wars were zombies, then @TaraC73 just scored zombie kill of the week. Fist pump!

We are an awesome fucking community, aren't we? Seriously. I don't know how many members we have but this group is amazing! Not a bad apple in the bunch! :0)
    Vasilnate1
  • TaraC73 said:

We are an awesome fucking community, aren't we? Seriously. I don't know how many members we have but this group is amazing! Not a bad apple in the bunch! :0)
    Hell - we have civil Hockey conversations - that is almost not right.
    Murderbear
    tom_g said:

TaraC73 said:

Screw those Penguins, still. :P
    DoubleA_Ron
  • ZesderZesder Tasmania
    edited December 2016
    Ok. This might piss a lot of people off.
    The show was OK. But I found this to be the most boring Bald move podcast ever.
    I found the half and hour or so debate about whether you should keep doing Walking Dead podcasts more boring than anything that was shown.
    At least it was something different on the screen instead of the same old complaints you have been peddling.
    It at least had some original content.
    TaraC73yrhendystu
  • I don't even watch the show anymore, but I still listen to the podcast because I can't get enough of Bald Move.
    This episode sounds so gloriously terrible I may just have to watch it.
    TaraC73
  • Sorry, I'm coming in too late to read all of the comments leading up to this (and I'm at work so I can't really justify the time it would take) so sorry if this is all really well tread territory.

It's funny, as I watched this episode I said to my self numerous times "Jim and A.Ron are going to HATE this one" and I literally started laughing out loud at the beginning of the podcast. That said, I didn't think it was SO bad (though I'm just a few minutes into the cast so maybe hearing the case for why will show it to me). I get that it was really hammy and even non-sensical at times, but I had a good enough time watching it. It is far from my favorite episode, but I think I would just drop it somewhere in the middle. Maybe I was braced for it being a lesser episode because I instantly seat-belted up for a Tera bottle episode which I knew would not be an optimal situation. My expectations were pretty low. I would like to know how the hell they got all of those guns, but this episode being from Tera's perspective she wouldn't have any idea. I had some head slapping laughter at the return of the "fist bump" and all of its silliness. The new community is paper thin from a character standpoint, but once again if we take it as Tera's perspective and only really knowing them to the extent that she does, fine. Some dots get connected and we get more necessary group consolidation. They didn't try to milk Tera's reaction to her girlfriend's death (whose name sadly escapes me) so far past the expiration date of the happening. Wasn't great, but it wasn't so bad. Tera may not be a favorite character of mine, but it was nice to get her back into the fold. Maybe a sub average episode, but certainly not among the worst.
  • TaraC73 said:

tom_g said:

TaraC73 said:

Screw those Penguins, still. :P
    That was uncalled for - and - someone made the effort to click 'like'.  Haters!
    TaraC73
  • amhatch said:

Thomas said:

Thomas, I understand your comment and I don't believe you meant to be disparaging. But what indication do we have as viewers that Tara as a character is out of shape beside seeing her shapely post-natal body, or her bent over and gasping for air (as anyone would do after running for their life)? The show has not written her character as out of shape?

Tara was trim & muscular when she was first introduced in S4. She was in police academy, so it makes sense she'd be fit and know how to handle a weapon. It strains credulity that Tara would steadily gain weight and become inept with weapons after being on the road w/Rick's crew. They should have replaced the actress , or used a stunt double for action scenes.  it was painful to watch her --- my own girls were aching in sympathy. At the very least give her a good sports bra .

love the podcasts. keep 'em coming. :D

Thomas
  • edited December 2016
    I had to suspend disbelief when they pushed a zombie head through a chain link fence, and when a little boy ate a massive can of pudding and didn't die of constipation or diarrhea.  

Can we suspend disbelief and give a benefit of the doubt that a woman who may have gained a few pounds, but who had been fit a couple of months before, could have the cardiovascular endurance to outrun a few other women and then be realistically tired?

Or does an actress have to be fired and lose her part because she has a few baby pounds less than six months after creating a human being?
    phoenyx1023Vasilnate1TaraC73
  • Natter CastNatter Cast San Francisco, CA
    Walking Dead should start doing homages to other repetitive theme shows.  Daryl and Michonne should start by continuously and annoyingly saying "the game is the game" to people for no reason who didn't ask and don't care.
    angryjef
    gjulleen said:

I had to suspend disbelief when they pushed a zombie head through a chain link fence, and when a little boy ate a massive can of pudding and didn't die of constipation or diarrhea.  

Can we suspend disbelief and give a benefit of the doubt that a woman who may have gained a few pounds, but who had been fit a couple of months before, could have the cardiovascular endurance to outrun a few other women and then be realistically tired?

Or does an actress have to be fired and lose her part because she has a few baby pounds less than six months after creating a human being?
    That was a bit dramatic.  As stated before, it was annoying to watch.  Nobody called for her to be fired, or replaced.  Every episode has things that annoy people.
    TaraC73Vasilnate1
  • edited December 2016
    @Thomas I mean, I don't really want to get into this debate, but someone did say "they should have replaced the actress" like three posts ago. That may have been where gjulleen was coming from.
    TaraC73gjulleen
  • Real_NeoReal_Neo North Carolina
    Wow this episode was so bad it's literally stretching the resolve of the Bald Move community. I love this show and have since the beginning, I suspended all disbelieve from day one so I could enjoy it but the structure of this season has been terrible for me since episode two. It's made watching a struggle at best. I hope they right the ship because there's so much they could still do with this show. I don't like my wife looking at me and saying WTF is going on with this show!
    TaraC73MurderbearJTKIIIVasilnate1
  • They need to drop the whole plot for 1 episode and do some fan service. A musical episode with "zombie show tunes" singing and dancing, Alexandria vs. The Saviors "West Side Story" style! that would cut the tension between show and fans, and would also be hilarious to Daryl and Eugene doing song and dance routines.
    TaraC73Tarzana890

@Thomas I mean, I don't really want to get into this debate, but someone did say "they should have replaced the actress" like three posts ago. That may have been where gjulleen was coming from.

True, but in the sense of using a stunt double.  I don't agree with that, I think it just shoulda been left out.  I don't think it would have been noticed as much if it wasn't in the worst episode in TWD history.
    Tarzana890
  • amhatch said:

Thomas said:

Thomas, I understand your comment and I don't believe you meant to be disparaging. But what indication do we have as viewers that Tara as a character is out of shape beside seeing her shapely post-natal body, or her bent over and gasping for air (as anyone would do after running for their life)? The show has not written her character as out of shape?

Tara was trim & muscular when she was first introduced in S4. She was in police academy, so it makes sense she'd be fit and know how to handle a weapon. It strains credulity that Tara would steadily gain weight and become inept with weapons after being on the road w/Rick's crew. They should have replaced the actress , or used a stunt double for action scenes.  it was painful to watch her --- my own girls were aching in sympathy. At the very least give her a good sports bra .

love the podcasts. keep 'em coming. :D

I guess we are straining our belief system by watching a sci fi show about Zombies, so I guess we can strain it even more by thinking the calorie intake is so high that people can actually gain weight, while living as the group does.  The writers probably should have had fall down while being chased and be caught and killed off.

Tarzana890
  • They need to drop the whole plot for 1 episode and do some fan service. A musical episode with "zombie show tunes" singing and dancing, Alexandria vs. The Saviors "West Side Story" style! that would cut the tension between show and fans, and would also be hilarious to Daryl and Eugene doing song and dance routines.

Great idea! But Eugene has to wear a speedo and do some cartwheels. :D
    Vasilnate1