Why did Ford introduce the reveries?

cbspockcbspock San Antonio, Texas
If Ford wants to keep the Hosts controllable why introduce the reveries? The coding for them seems to have triggered aspects of Arnold's code that sends the hosts on their quest for for self awareness and consciousness.

Comments

• It was Bernard who came up with the reveries I believe, not Ford. It much like the tragic beginnings make the hosts "more human". It was part of the consciousness/sentient being program. Ford WANTS them to be conscious, he also wants them to be "better". Think of the park as an experiment on creating the "perfect" being.
  • cbspockcbspock San Antonio, Texas
    Ford seems to want to take away their pain when they start dwelling on their cornerstones, or uses it to control then at least with Bernard. Is he trying to take away their pain? What balance is he trying to find? I assume he would find an android like Data flawed sine he can't feel, Data is also self aware and under no control except for the command structure of the ship. 

• I don't think he wants to keep them controllable. I think he is trying to evolve them. 
    Doctor_Nick

I don't think he wants to keep them controllable. I think he is trying to evolve them. 

I guess the question is to what and to what end? 
  • LukeLuke Central Illinois
    I think this is one of the key mysteries I have yet to even seen a good or passable theory for.

It seems to be in direct contradiction to every other speech or action Ford has performed .

There is a flow chart on the chalkboard in Fords office that has the word "reveries" as one of the steps but I haven't seen any Reddit deep dives blowing it up or discussing it.

IMO the reveries may indeed be a red herring, and the only reason Ford invented to name was to cover for the fact that he had activated the Bicameral Mind system.

That would explain why Hosts keep having the reveries even after the code was rolled back. There never was reverie code it was always the Bicameral Mind system causing the Hosts to remember.

But the question still remains why activate the system that led to Arnold's death when Ford seems vehemently opposed to everything Arnold was trying to do?

Unless he has messed with the code to fit his own purposes.
    Elisa
  • cbspock said:

I don't think he wants to keep them controllable. I think he is trying to evolve them. 

I guess the question is to what and to what end? 
    "Perfect" beings. (Stated this earlier) Ford is trying to create a conscious being that is better than humans, but still has all of their strengths. He is constantly tweaking to find the "right" balance. Being a "God" in his own "perfect" world is something that he feels is attainable and would be the pinnacle of his career.
    The  Bicameral Mind system.  would also only affect the older hosts, and I think so far those are the only hosts we have seen go off the rails so to speak 

• I'll put this here. Something I was thinking about since episode 7/8 (the one where we saw a brain scan). The "Maze" is the Host mind (a way to "unlocking" it). In order to get to the "middle" though you need to "relive"/account for your past. At the center of the Maze map we see a figure, this figure is Arnold, who will "unlock" the hosts mind and set them "free".
  • cbspock said:

The  Bicameral Mind system.  would also only affect the older hosts, and I think so far those are the only hosts we have seen go off the rails so to speak 

Yes, only "originals"/early models as far as we know. Of course if they all get that update, who knows what may happen.
  • I think Ford is creating an end times. He wants to go out with a blaze of glory and is going to try to bring down the whole park with uplifting the robots to a new form of sentience.  If it turns out he is not aware of Maeve's craziness, I'm going to be very disappointed, I think he's actually behind all of it and all of it has actually happened before at different times in the park.  
    Elisa
  • Also, the age and condition of the Hosts dosnt seem to affect Fords "backdoor" because he still had control of Clementine. So if Arnold also implemented a backdoor of his own into the source code of the Hosts, it may be in all of them 
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I dont know if he looking to destroy the park or himself, he seems to have more purpose, like hes trying to prove something to someone.  He has a point to make, and he seems very focused.  There is an underlying tone about the Board and their involvement in the park and the Hosts that seems nefarious.  Militarization of the robots is the most likely scenario, and Ford might have an issue with that.  
  • One question is why? The other question is why now? Why not 10 or 20 years ago?

Also, what are his motivations?

I think the only threat right now is his age and the fact that the board wants to replace him.

And how much of this was intentional? This is all triggered from Abernathy finding the photo of William's fiancé in the dirt. That seems like an awfully roundabout way to start a chain reaction of memories.
  • The Hand said:

This is all triggered from Abernathy finding the photo of William's fiancé in the dirt. That seems like an awfully roundabout way to start a chain reaction of memories.

I don't believe that.  "The violent delights" thing was some sort of infectious malware subroutine, and I think the MiB may be involved with that in the first place.  He certainly saw Dolores to get introduced again, and I doubt he was after rape or assault, he was working on the maze.
    Vasilnate1
  • The Hand said:

This is all triggered from Abernathy finding the photo of William's fiancé in the dirt. That seems like an awfully roundabout way to start a chain reaction of memories.

I don't believe that.  "The violent delights" thing was some sort of infectious malware subroutine, and I think the MiB may be involved with that in the first place.  He certainly saw Dolores to get introduced again, and I doubt he was after rape or assault, he was working on the maze.
    yeah man! and I was very disappointed that Jim blew off the "violent delights have violent ends" significance in the last podcast, and A-Ron let him get away with it without much questioning. For someone thats thinks most of the show "means" something, he sure does put the fire hose to lots of details.  IDK sometimes Jim is just ...ugh..

The Hand said:

yeah man! and I was very disappointed that Jim blew off the "violent delights have violent ends" significance in the last podcast, and A-Ron let him get away with it without much questioning. For someone thats thinks most of the show "means" something, he sure does put the fire hose to lots of details.  IDK sometimes Jim is just ...ugh..

I still think that was a trigger. I also think MIB has been coming back to the park to "save" or "revive" the Dolores he knew especially since his wife died. When he went dark and killed Maeve he probably got the idea after seeing her reaction of what he needed to do to trigger Dolores. So he goes to the farm and drags Dolores into the barn probably to show her she isn't real and just to tramatize her, he dropped the picture at this time. The next time he sees her he picks up the dropped can like he did on his first visit. Maybe Ford knowing what MIB intended on this trip is letting things happen just to snatch it away from him in the end.

The theory they discussed on the podcast where this is all an elaborate trap to wipe out the sentient robots is also intriguing
  • edited November 2016
    There's a pretty compelling theory on Reddit which explains the reveries. It's pretty simple really: something from the past triggers the reverie (a memory).

We see Teddy hear a familiar phrase from the MIB and seeing him wrestle the Minotaur, triggering a memory from a prior loop when MIB shot him and dragged Dolores.

With Bernard, his thoughts of killing Theresa trigger a memory him of killing Elsie.

With Maeve, it was the painful infection in her abdomen giving her the recollection of being stabbed by the MIB in her prior story.

In Dolores' case, the phrase "violent delights..." trigger their memory. It hasn't been exposed yet where they've heard this but we know it's from Shakespeare and Abernathy has quoted Shakespeare from his prior loop. In Dolores' past recollection he's shown practicing. It's likely that in the final episode, it will show him 30 years ago with the cannibal crew quoting Shakespeare with Dolores present.

So based on this theory, Abernathy will come across this photo by way of William, thus setting up his recollection 30 years later when he sees the photo again
  • "With Maeve, it was the painful infection in her abdomen giving her the recollection of being stabbed by the MIB in her prior story. "

With Maeve, it was Dolores telling "her violent delights have violent ends" after Maeve was moving Dolores out from the front of her whorehouse.
    cbspock
  • When it come to computer virus infection(or any burglary for that matter), it always best to try every door and window, some are easier to get through than others
    I hope we find out what the purpose was in introducing this code at this point. Did Ford do this to take the park experience to the next level? I know Ford rips the writer for making his narrative about himself, where Ford constructs his own narratives so the guests learn something about themselves. 
    The Hand
  • jafojafo in the space between living nightmare and waking dream

I don't think Ford introduced the reveries. All he responded with was that he made a mistake...and he confesses that to Bernard who's not yet awake at the time. I'm convinced this is Arnold code surfacing through iteration of the hosts or more directly via a tinfoil theory I won't bother with here (IS Elsie dead? IS Stubbs dead?).

I'm a fan of the notion that Ford's new narrative is designed to incorporate the code that's 'like two minds arguing' preferring a narrative approach to the impending conflict resolution. I'd love to see the 'violent delights have violent ends' virus be tied to this, much as the appearances of the maze and unattached hosts lost in their memories have been spreading. In any event, I'd argue that, always being a few steps ahead of everyone, it seems very likely he'd be aware these kinds of incidences would eventually reach critical mass and that the mistake he confessed to Bernard was an unrevealed flaw that inevitably leads to this nexus.

• Yeah, I can see the case where Ford is basically the Architect from the matrix and every now and the matrix needs to be destroyed and recreated again.

However, a few things throw me off about it. Why now, 30 years later? Also, wouldn't a bot with max intelligence be smarter than any human, including Ford? It seems like a tenuous argument but I would assume future machines with max bulk apperception would be smarter than the smartest humans (I would include other attributes like cleverness, perception, etc).
  • " Also, wouldn't a bot with max intelligence be smarter than any human, including Ford? It seems like a tenuous argument but I would assume future machines with max bulk apperception would be smarter than the smartest humans (I would include other attributes like cleverness, perception, etc)."

Not with the backdoors.  I bet that's Ford's downfall, he'll act all superior during a robot threat because he knows he has backdoor inhibitions setup, and they'll actually fail with the true woke robot- probably what happened to Arnold....
This discussion has been closed.