Non-traditional Christmas Songs

So It's that time of year again and I went to pull up my playlist of non-traditional music songs only to find that for whatever reason, it's been deleted. Anyway, I just wanted to see if any one has any recommendations as I'm rebuilding my playlist now. 

Basically, I'm looking for stuff you normally wouldn't hear in a department store or on standard Christmas radio. 

Some examples from a variety of genres that I had one my list last year: 

"Just Like Christmas" by Low
"Fairytale of New York" by The Pogues
"Christmas in Harlem" by Kanye West, Prynce Cy Hi & Teyana Taylor
"Christmas in Washington" by Steve Earle
"Getting Ready for Christmas Day" by Paul Simon

TravisA_Ron_Hubbard

Comments

• amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    River by Joni Mitchell
    The Christians And The Pagans by Dar Williams

TravisDegausser24Kela15
  • Vasilnate1Vasilnate1 Salem, MA
    edited November 2016

Dropkick Murphy's "The Seasons upon Us"

TravisTaraC73ghm3
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited November 2016
    Joe Pesci - If It Doesn't Snow on Christmas

Boston Spaceships - Christmas Girl

Magnetic Fields - Everything is One Big Christmas Tree

• pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY

A little goofy:

Freddy
  • River by Joni Mitchell
    The Christians And The Pagans by Dar Williams

Beat me to The River. Btw if you're a fan of that song, Robert Downey Jr of all people does an amazing cover of it

Dani
  • Kela15Kela15 Malta, Europe
    Can't wait for Christmas by Loose Tapestries (Noel Fielding and Serge from Kasabian)

Enjoy!
  • edited November 2016
    Also, 
    Yule Shoot Your Eye Out - Fall Out Boy

Bruce Springsteen - Santa Claus Is Comin To Town

Pearl Jam - Someday At Christmas

Jimmy Eat World - Last Christmas

TaraC73
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    edited November 2016
    The Vandals -- Christmas Time for My Penis

Vasilnate1Travisjomiha
  • edited December 2017
    This should certainly qualify as "non-traditional."  I wrote this last year and was going to mail it in as a present to Jim and A.Ron.  However, I had this gut feeling that the song sucked and I eventually stopped working on it.  Several parts are unfinished, and to my ears it still sucks, but I thought it would be a cool thing to bring in the holiday cheer.

Edit - Took the demo down for professional purposes.
    Jimjomihakingbee67CodyHarris821DaveyMac
  • GredalBee said:

This should certainly qualify as "non-traditional."  I wrote this last year and was going to mail it in as a present to Jim and A.Ron.  However, I had this gut feeling that the song sucked and I eventually stopped working on it.  Several parts are unfinished, and to my ears it still sucks, but I thought it would be a cool thing to bring in the holiday cheer.

Dude this is actually real good. You have a real soulful voice. I was actually thinking about this earlier, do any of the other musically inclined members of the forum want to put together a little bald move holiday mixtape? we can all add our own originals or covers with christmas or holiday themes, compile them, and put it up as a free download on bandcamp. A few other forums I've been on have done something like this. Anyone interested?
    TaraC73ChiefPizza
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    @GredalBee that's AWESOME!! You have a great voice!! :)
  • Jesus, @GredalBee.  That's awesome and way more than we deserve.  Thank you!
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited December 2016
    I've always really liked that LOW Christmas Album.  My favorite 2 songs on that album are really religious, which is weird cause I'm not religious anymore.  But it's religious with a twist, like clandestine, and underground.  Not preachy.

This one I love also because of that LOW sound.  They are masters of recording.  I love how the vocals and organ blend

And I love The Reigning Sound......and all things Greg Cartwright.
  • jomihajomiha Springfield IL

The Vandals -- Christmas Time for My Penis

Nice! My first thought was the Vandals' "Elvis Decanter", but I realized that's not necessarily a Christmas song. Always thought of it as one for some reason. 
  • Springsteen - Pilgrim in the Temple of Love (Santa Gets a Blow Job)
    edited December 2016
    New York Night Train Jonathan Toubin's Rock n Roll Santa 2010 Party Mix
    Good luck Shazamming this stuff.

http://xmusic.audio/mp3/6186v4/fe30a0ac397f/u6549420/audios/Jonathan+Toubin+%96+NY+Night+Train+Rock+n+Roll+Santa+Heretic+s+X-Mas+Mix.mp3
    Kela15
  • LanceUpperrrcutLanceUpperrrcut Flying Blind On A Rocket Cycle
    2 of my favorites

cdrive
    edited December 2016
  • The Killers just put out a whole album of non-traditional christmas songs.
    jomiha

• Dropkick Murphy's "The Seasons upon Us"

Man two girls one cone is soooo much better than two girls one cup.
    Vasilnate1
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    edited December 2016

Blink 182- I Won't Be Home For Christmas

• Thanks for all the great recommendations, everyone. I've got quite a varied playlist going to keep me sane and entertained for the holiday season!
    Freddy
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited December 2016
    Fun fact: Player's Ball by Outkast was originally supposed to be a Christmas song for a hip hop Christmas album.

There are little hints at it throughout the song. "It's beginning to look a lot like what..." and "So ho ho hoes..." come to mind. Not to mention they say "Christmas Day" instead of "all day every day" in the original chorus.
    Chinaski
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    @Travis If there is ever a roast of Joe Pesci, all the roasters should just play songs from his "music career". No words, no jokes. Just his awful (but admittately hilarious) music.
    Travis
  • edited December 2016
    I've always been partial Primus' "Del Davis Tree Farm."

• edited December 2016

i love togun. this guy does a bunch of covers but also has some original songs out too. last year when i was planning my wedding i found his stuff on youtube. i got in touch with him and for 50 bucks he took a song that my wife picked and made an awesome rocking version of it that we danced to during our wedding reception.