Anyone a Vikings fan?

2»

Comments

• Elisa said:

The iron born are based on pirates and vikings but still different.

Interesting. The two cultures seemed somewhat similar, with the focus on warfare and the raid based economy.
    steph_b said:

Whats worse? Naming your kid Ragnar or Khaleesi?

Ragnar Lannister Givens sounds like the perfect name.
    steph_b
  • HeffHeff Connecticut
    I love this show! I'm eagerly awaiting whatever they're going to reveal for Season 4.
    Elisa
  • 20 episodes instead of 10 too!

Elisa
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    When you said "Anyone a Vikings fan?" I was gonna reply HELL NO BEARS!!, but maybe I should read postings first.
    Hatorian
  • I love Vikings, even though the plotlines are not always very well written, but how can I not when Lagertha is the freakin' QUEEN of television?!
    Jovial_FalconElisaAspiewithalibrarycard
  • @Reni which plots didnt you like?
  • @Jovial_Falcon Well, for example, the dude that usurped Lagertha's earldom -  with everything else going on in Kattegat, England, and France, I just wasn't sure why exactly I should care about this seemingly insignificant event they cramped in there. I also don't care about anything that happens with Björns girlfriend, especially now. I think they may have been setting up a future storyline there, but this whole season was about "oh, i'm so ugly, you can't love me this way" - "but i do love you" - "no you can't" it was too repetitive. The thing I hated most about last season was what they did with Floki's character, I think the writers went kind of overboard with this religious extremism attitude.
    Elisa
  • Have the Vikings fans here checked out the new BBC America show, The Last Kingdom? So far, Ive only seen the pilot but I really liked it. Its similar subject matter - about 25 years ahead of the current Vikings timeline. 
    Elisa
  • HeffHeff Connecticut
    Reni said:

The thing I hated most about last season was what they did with Floki's character, I think the writers went kind of overboard with this religious extremism attitude.

Floki is my favorite character on the show, right above Ragnar - but I don't agree with you on this one. He has been shown to be seriously committed to the Norse gods right from the beginning, and believes himself to be a direct descendant, just like Ragnar. He was contemptuous of Aethelstan from the start, was prepared to offer himself as a sacrifice to Ragnar and the gods, and was extremely vocal of his opposition to Rollo's baptism/whatever. I think seeing visions and acting on them was well within his character, especially as he might not be entirely sane in the first place.
    Jovial_FalconElisa
  • @Heff Floki is also one of my favorite characters! It's not like I don't love him. But I really liked Athelstan too, so that may be playing with my feelings in the wrong direction. You're right about him not being entirely sane, and I think that's the aspect that's gotten worse in him, not his religious devotion. I think I need to rewatch the last season to get some clarity, I haven't seen any episodes since it aired and I know I had a lot of anger because of the Athelstan business. Might be good to get some fresh eyes on it :)
  • I love watching Vikings. I laugh when people get so hung up on the historical inaccuracies. It's a fucking TV show. It's not a documentary by any stretch of the imagination. No, Ragnar and Rollo weren't really brothers and Rollo's Norse name was actually Rolf but who cares? It's a well made fun romp through the viking age. 
    Elisasteph_b
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    I think it's definitely more fun than it is good. It has it's moments, but it's very much a soap opera. I feel like I've seen Rollo betray Ragnar at least three times now. Siggy likewise seemed to waffle back and forth between dutiful and devious based on the plot rather than her character. Also agree that Floki's beefs with well, everyone, are old hat. A few too many plot twists the past couple seasons, which appear to have only been concealed from the viewer for shock value. Surprise! Floki was pretending to be allies with Horik! Ecbert was playing the vikings the whole time! Ragnar's not really dead in the coffin! Lagertha being tricked by Ecbert and Kalf in the same season particularly didn't sit well with me, since she's always been portrayed as being smart and formidable. 

But unlike say, TWD, it's a fun show and the performances are enjoyable so I look past all that. 
    Elisa
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    Have they confirmed the 20 episode number I keep seeing rumored? Last season kind of sucked and I don't know how they could keep up season 1/2 quality for 20 episodes.
  • steph_b said:

Whats worse? Naming your kid Ragnar or Khaleesi?

Boy or girl? LOL

My daughter and son-in-law did name their cat Khaleesi. He settled for giving my grandson the middle name Octavius, instead of the first name, Ragnar.

steph_b
  • Khaleesi is obviously the worse choice, since it isn't even a name. It's her title. That's like naming your kid Lieutenant.
    steph_b
  • @Drew here is your confirmation on the episode count and also a premiere date

http://tvline.com/2015/12/17/historys-vikings-season-4-premiere-date/
    Elisa
  • 20 seasons is too much for a straight season but probably ok for a split season. Its not the highest form of art on television but it is a shitload of fun for me to watch. 
    hypergenesbElisa
  • steph_b said:

20 seasons is too much for a straight season but probably ok for a split season. Its not the highest form of art on television but it is a shitload of fun for me to watch. 

Two 10-episode seasons? Sounds perfect to me. 
    steph_bElisaJovial_Falcon
  • Not to mention this show does some pretty big time jumps so I assume there will be at least 1 in the 20 episode stretch
    Elisa
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    Man 20 episodes. Hopefully Ragnar does more than lay in bed hurt all season.
    Jovial_Falcon
  • Loved Episode 1. Im going to start a Vikings Season 4 thread. just an FYI
    Elisa