The Slap coming in February

ElisaElisa Los Angeles
I have heard good things about this miniseries. It's based an Australian TV show which is based on a novel. Subject a twist on parenting and family relationships. Una Thurman and Zachary Quinto are some of the stars. Only questionable item is its on NBC. Lol. Thoughts?

Comments

• DeeDee Adelaide
    I haven't seen the Australian series (I'm Australian) but I've read the book and I hated it. The slap itself is quite a minor thread running through it - it's mostly about a group of ghastly people obsessing over their self-created problems.
  • Dee said:

...it's mostly about a group of ghastly people obsessing over their self-created problems.

Ah so it's highly realistic. Yeah that can be depressing.
  • The trailer looks so ridiculous that I initially thought it was an SNL parody.

I'll have to watch out of morbid curriosity

• FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    @ksa1001 For sure, the second I saw that the title was actually "The Slap", I busted out laughing. Hoping it ends up being a great unintentional comedy.
  • @DoctorBell There's sure to be a good drinking game that could be made from this foolishness.
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited February 2015
    I'll try anything with Syler in it, and I see potential on how this COULD be ok but I'm skeptical to say the least. The name is just ridiculous and you're right, the fact that it's on NBC inspires no confidence. Actually, I say that I'll probably give it a try, but I say that a lot and end up not actually doing so. Being honest with myself it will take a couple of good reviews between this site, Ryan and Ryan, and Firewall and Iceberg and interest from my wife to actually get "play" pushed in my house.

Zachary Quinto is awesome though, and somehow I didn't notice that it was Uma Thurman when I saw the trailer last night.
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I love Quinto but I will wait til I hear what the other critics say too. Joanna Robinson from Vanity Fair was the one who recommended it initially. Hmmmmm
  • A Joanna Robinson cosign is a nice endorsement to have, but I'll need a couple more to get motivated enough. Mostly the problem is that my DVR is sucking things in faster than I can consume them.
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    edited February 2015

A Joanna Robinson cosign is a nice endorsement to have, but I'll need a couple more to get motivated enough. Mostly the problem is that my DVR is sucking things in faster than I can consume them.

We've all been there. Amazing how many shows we THINK we like, then there are 6 on the DVR and it occurs to us that apparently it's not that important after all.
    I stopped watching Brooklyn 99, New Girl and The Mindy Project for that exact reason. #firstworldproblems
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited February 2015
    @ksa1001 Well said. Totally agree.
    Plus, how much can I care about The Slap when I still need to get caught up from like episode 3 (season 1) of the Americans and I still haven't even touched Fargo yet. Not to mention the back half of The Leftovers which I was really enjoying, but decided to stop watching until I finished the book (which I have but I need to get HBOGO running which also applies to seasons 3 and 4 of Game of Thrones), along with all of the stuff we're staying current on. TOO MUCH GOOD TV! #firstworldproblemsisright
  • @TravisSmith Wow, yeah you do have a lot to catch up on. I'd personally front-burner GoT as it's about to come back (and you're further behind)
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited February 2015
    @ksa1001 Yeah. Agreed, but the trouble with it is that my wife has no interest what so ever in it. We watch most of our tv together and it makes it tougher to stay up on things without consensus (it would also help if HBO weren't such bastards about releasing content. I really look forward to them allowing you to get HBOGo without a cable subscription). I watched the first two seasons on my own (she watched the pilot and she just thought it was kind of dumb and bowed out after that), but then it just became too difficult to prioritize. I think she may be ready to give it another shot though after hearing so many good things about it. We'll see.
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    I kept waiting for zombies to attack or something, forcing these families to work together after that "Slap".
  • broompersonbroomperson the Iron Islands
    This looks horrible
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited February 2015
    Shockingly, all of the reviews I have heard have been very negative (though I guess Joanna Robinson endorsed it somewhere along the line).
  • I still have to see the trailer, I'm sure there will be jokes galore with the family. "He slapped our child!"
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited February 2015
    Theme song?

I imagine there may not be a ton of love for HIMYM on this board, but every time this show comes up my mind goes there.
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Yeah Sepinwall and Feinberg gave it the big thumbs down. The pilot was decent but then it went downhill. Lots of overacting. Guess Joanna Robinson got some payola. :open_mouth:
  • So I was listening to the radio this morning and apparently this show is going to be AMAZING!

*source = NBC's marketing department
    Spookycat4
  • Watched it....any thoughts?
  • I turned it on for a couple of minutes just to have a quick look, but it felt like I either needed to just watch it all or not. I caught Syler's little "I don't get art so I can only judge its merit based on how much it costs" bit which seemed dumb and kind of annoying but (even though I've never actually met someone like that) I'm sure there are probably people like that in the world. I didn't really have a chance to divine anything. What did you think?

There are a lot of people that I like in it. I can say that. I totally forgot Thomas Sadoski (probably butchered the name) was in it, and hell yeah Brian Cox!

I also saw a tweet from Joanna Robinson yesterday saying that she stands by the fact that she liked despite every critic that she respects hating it.
  • I expected to watch and laugh with the family, but (with such low expectations) it was much better than I anticipated. Seems like a silly premise, but each episode will follow one of the main characters. I'll keep watching (just because). The kid REALLY deserved the titular slap (he's one of those GoT 8 y/os that still breast feeds) but that would never happen to my lil devil of a child as the father was told to rangle his kid prior to the slap. I personally would only need to raise my voice to put the fear of god into him, and he would have shaped up.
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Just watched The Slap online on NBC's website. Not bad for network TV. I'm gonna add it to my DVR. :smile:
  • Spookycat4Spookycat4 Baltimore
    edited February 2015
    A ridiculous premise only this attachment parenting generation could come up with. An 8 year old without mental health issues who kicks an adult deserves the slap this character got. My kid would have been told "Serves you right" before I made him apologize and then punished him.
  • This entire show premise sounds like one big SNL joke in which the punchline never happens. I mean Is this a miniseries? Is this a multi season series? This looks crazy but just so you know I'm basing my opinion only on the trailer and nothing else.
    Spookycat4
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    edited February 2015

This entire show premise sounds like one big SNL joke in which the punchline never happens. I mean Is this a miniseries? Is this a multi season series? This looks crazy but just so you know I'm basing my opinion only on the trailer and nothing else.

This is an 8 episode one and done series, I'll at LEAST see #2 and see where we're headed
  • ArctorArctor The Netherlands
    Just watched the first 4 episodes of the US version... They done fucked it up. The Australian version was so so much better. A couple questions rose in me:

WHY did this need a US remake? Is Australian so hard to understand to Americans? Is Australian and Greek-Australian culture so vastly different it's impossible to relate to?

HOW could they fuck up so badly? They stick to the source material so closely where it doesn't matter (cast are basically look-a-likes of their Australian counterparts except for Conny) but deviate and fuck up where it does (Conny looks too old for her part, they spoil themselves by revealing information to characters instead of holding out, sanded some rough edges that really made this story).

Really disappointing. I'm just going to turn it off now and watch the Ozzy version again.
    Elisa