Best Arnold Movies

edited December 2016 in Movies
@Jim @A_Ron_Hubbard I just finished up listening to the Rocky 4 podcast and I had to chime in on the one semi serious Arnold movie. One of my favorites... True Lies. While he still is constantly blowing shit up, I loved his character in this movie and it wasn't macho Arnold killing people for no damn reason. Also, does Jingle All The Way count since he doesn't really blow anything up in that movie? Haha
Melia004

Comments

• A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Yeah, it's not really what I was talking about.  T2, True Lies, among others are great films, but not in any kind of "and the Academy award for Best Actor / Best Picture goes to..." sense of the word.  As opposed to Rocky, First Blood, Copland, etc. 
  • AussieGregAussieGreg Canberra, Australia
    i think you will dig Maggie A-Ron
  • You're right A-Ron. Although i think he could who have won best actor in 85' for his performance in Commando.
    Vasilnate1A_Ron_Hubbard
  • Total Recall  it was so good they needed to remake it
    Doctor_Nick
  • JTKIII said:

You're right A-Ron. Although i think he could who have won best actor in 85' for his performance in Commando.

Let off some steam, Bennett
    JTKIII
  • Total Recall  it was so good they needed to remake it

Get your ass to Mars
    Vasilnate1cdrive
  • It's not "serious", but I think Last Action Hero (and his performance) are great.  He's delivering large blocks of Shane Black dialogue and he's incredibly charismatic while doing it.
    Degausser24
  • LukeLuke Central Illinois
    edited December 2016
    I honsotly prefer the original Terminator to T2.

It has the action and stakes of the second film. It has a romance plot. And it doesn't have an annoying 90's cliche spouting child actor in it.

It's probably my favorite Arnold film. I would argue Predator sans Jessie "the body" Ventura is also a very serious Arnold film that is really good.
    MrSinyster
  • GredalBee said:

It's not "serious", but I think Last Action Hero (and his performance) are great.  He's delivering large blocks of Shane Black dialogue and he's incredibly charismatic while doing it.

This is among my favorite Arnold movies. I think it's really misunderstood because it came out right in the middle of his mindless action movie period, but it was a pretty great satire.
  • The Running Man use to be one of my Favorite movies
    Doctor_Nick
  • Luke said:

It has the action and stakes of the second film. 

Definitely grounds for the unpopular opinion puffin, but T2 is garbage. The T1000 concept is cool but beyond that I find that movie unwatchable. 

Luke said:

Definitely grounds for the unpopular opinion puffin, but T2 is garbage. The T1000 concept is cool but beyond that I find that movie unwatchable. 
    WHAAAAAA??  Could you elaborate on that?
  • Luke said:

Burn the witch!
  • LukeLuke Central Illinois
    edited December 2016
    My biggest reason for liking T1 better is I feel like the T800 is just a way scarier villain.

You just slowly see him fall apart and never ever stops until killed.

T1000 might be able to shape shift but honsotly I find a dude with knives for arms way less theatening than an indescribable robot dual wielding an M16 and a shotgun.

I also much prefer the original plot . The whole Terminator going back was the paradox that lead to Skynets destruction. It's so clean a story it doesn't need a sequel. Judgement day is inevitable but the humans will win.

I hate how later movies retconned that into Judgement Day being inevitable but somehow skynet always manages to survive or send another Terminator.
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    T1 is just so crazy in retrospect. The police station assault alone is extreme by any standard. Always blew me away that it wasn't talked about more in terms of censorship and cinematic boundaries. Couple that with the fact that the concepts presented didn't come off as all that implausible (other than maybe the time travel), and you have yourself a legitimately frightening story.
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited December 2016
    I'm on board with Terminator being the rawer and more visceral movie compared to T2, and Arnold was a great heavy.  The ultra violence was really something for the time period.  T2 was slick and well put together but the only thing it really moved forward was effects.     
  • T2 has a great plot and story. I think it suffers from over exposure on Television these days and people want to critique it more. T1 is a tremendous movie as well but Terminator 2 will always be better in my eyes. Robert Patrick played the villain role perfectly and Arnold was at the top of his game.

John: "You have to promise me you won't kill anyone"
    *Arnold shoots security guard in the legs*
    "He'll live"
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    All time fave Arnold movie is t2. Total recall close second. Jingle all the way is also awesome though only watchable once or twice a year during Christmas season LOL.
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    My three are Total Recall, T2 and Kindergarden Cop. I don't care come @ me. Boys have a penis girls have vagina.
    Vasilnate1Degausser24HatorianJTKIII
  • How did Twins not win an Academy Award?
    Degausser24cdriveTaraC73
    Yeah, I definitely do NOT want to take away anything from T1, which is a low budget masterpiece in it's own right, and maybe I'm swayed by my love of Arnold and set piece splendor.  I love big set pieces, but it's so rare to see something organic and plot driven, and all of the set pieces in T2 felt like, yeah, that would actually happen given this scenario and these characters.

And Arnold in T1 vs Arnold in T2, there's no comparison the leaps he made in presence and charisma. In T1 he's an actor still figuring things out, in T2, he knows exactly what he brings to the table.
    JTKIII
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited December 2016
    @A_Ron_Hubbard Agreed!
    And not to derail this into a Terminator thread, but speaking of presence, I always thought that one of more subtle reasons T1 and T2 are miles better than the rest of the series is that the weapons themselves were characters in their own right. I bet any fan could pick any one of the guns Arnold uses in the first 2 out of a lineup, no problem. Other than some of the nods to the first two films, the guns in the other 3 are just that, guns. It's a movie about complex machines designed with one goal in mind: killing, and I think James Cameron really took that to heart when deciding on weapons used and how they were presented.