[OFFICIAL] Episode 506 "Consumed"

Directed by Seith Mann and written by Matthew Negrete.

Comments

• A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    20 minutes in, this is shaping up to be a great episode. Daryl and Carol are great together. Excellent flashback to open the show. Could have done without the music, but the episodes are so much more tense when you are invested in the characters and their history.
  • This was a markedly better episode than the previous two. However, I just wish the writers would do a better job getting characters from A to B. They completely disregard reality in most situations to perpetuate the plot. Here a just a few examples:

The car that Carol and Daryl were following had the cop drive past the spot where Carol and Daryl parked. He got out, looked at the walker attacking the window of the car that wasn't there when he drove past the location 20 seconds previously, and he thought nothing of it.

Noah steals their weapons, but Carol still has a gun and, ostensibly, her knife. We only see Noah take the rifle and the crossbow. A few scenes later, when they're in the back of the van, they have NO weapons to kill walkers with, forcing them to fall off the bridge.

Daryl and Noah find a truck right where their car was "tapped out" the night before.

This is all fairly silly and, if the two characters didn't perform so well, might be nearly comical.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Yeah... on my second watch the holes bothered me more, but it's like I always say with suspension of disbelief, it's much better to have a good idea for an episode executed competently with a few holes than have an okay episode that is shitty and also has plot holes. Like, if you can get me 20 minutes in and I haven't rolled my eyes out of my skull, you're ahead of the game.
  • I think there was some mention in the insta-cast about smoke in Carol's flashback. It seems to signal (smoke signal) Carol doing something violent, or something she is ashamed of. The last one has her wiping her face clean of mud and probably some ash. Interesting to note would be Daryl's comment about them not being ashes yet, and then that finale scene where he inhales the smoke from the cigarette, then decides they need to leave Noah in order to save their own asses - an action very similar to Carol's character moments in her flashbacks. There can only be one conclusion: the Smoke Monster got off the Lost island, and he's bringing the plot holes with him.