The Last of Us Part II

Sorry if someone has already made a post about this–I haven't been on in a while, but I searched for one and nothing came up. 

I'm super excited for this game! I LOVED The Last of Us (and all NaughtyDog games in general) and can't wait for a new installment of the game. 

********SOMEWHAT SPOILARY****************

It has been said the in the game you primarily play as Ellie, which sounds interesting and exciting. 

They have a little panel discussion with Neil Druckmann, Ashley Johnson, Troy Baker for those interested 

Comments

• Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Yeah, I am one of those people who would have been just fine with them never revisiting this world. But Naughty Dog has yet to disappoint me. So I am super excited to see what they bring to the table. 

That ending of the first one hit like a ton of bricks. 
  • I'm still waiting for my bandit Joel dlc for the first game. WHY WONT THEY MAKE IT AND TAKE MY MONEY
  • Yeah I thought the first one was a masterful story, with a fantastic ending, so I felt no need to revisit the world. But it would be cool to check in with Ellie as an adult or something. 
    voodoorat
  • My only request is that they don't do the "bigger, badder" sequel. IE create a bunch of new bigger spore enemies that weren't there in the first one. I'm ok with some level of mutation and change but keep it reasonable.
    DaveyMac
  • voodooratvoodoorat Atlanta
    edited December 2016
    my ps3 had already stopped playing discs and i didn't really have a chance to play games on the tv anyway (and i never got a ps4 so didn't get the retouched one) so this is one of the only games that i entirely experienced through "let's play" type video...  and it was amazing.  on the one hand, it would be interesting to revisit the world and i trust the creative team, but on the other hand that story was told completely and with what i thought was one of the most true-feeling endings of any story i've experienced and it feels like it would to some extent be spoiled by continuing the story.  maybe they could do it in a way that wouldn't touch it, like set it far in the future or something so that the events of the first one are ancient history...  i dunno.

*edit* i should have just agreed with @DaveyMac comment above, it said what i was thinking much more concisely.

and honestly for me i think watching this game may have been the best way to experience it.  i distinctly remember playing through stuff like bioshock infinite that the repetitive and excessive combat was distracting from the game rather than enhancing the story, and i suspect i might have felt the same way about this game had i played it.
    DaveyMac
  • I think the first game ended on a satisfactory note from a story-telling standpoint. All lose ends were tied up, or at least addressed and where we left the characters felt natural, if expected. But I do think there is still some great stuff to mine from the story; there is still a lot we don't know about Ellie's mother, or about her father for that matter, or about Riley. Theortically, they could easily make an entire game just out of old demons coming back to haunt Ellie and not even touch where they left her and Joel. And Naughtydog showed they could do that with this story with the DLC which almost entirely focused on Ellie and Riley.

I have faith that the sequel will be just as good, if not better than the first game. You can tell just from the 4 minute clip we got that the creative team behind the game has put A LOT of thought into it already.

The first thing I noticed about the trailer was Ellie's tattoo, obviously there to cover her bite mark and help her blend into society (or what's left of it) a bit better. And she's playing guitar, something Joel promised to teach her (I wonder if he taught her how to swim too?). Then I noticed the window. The same or a very similar window is used as the menu screen for the original game. I'm not sure what that means, but I love the attention to detail. There is so much great visual story-telling just in those 4 minutes, and so many tie-ins to the original game, but the story seems different enough to stand on its own.

But really I'm just excited because I can say "that's the last of YOU motherfucka!" when playing a video game again. Ah puns.
  • I just finished the game yesterday, at least the main story.  Yeah, it seems from the ending that there is really no need to add a sequel to the game.  Whether or not she believed what Joel said about the fireflies, the scope and the nuance of the relationship was established and cemented throughout the game.  I don't know how ND will improve on it.  I kinda have thoughts of TTG "The Walking Dead" where the relationship between Lee and Clem basically sold the game and the sequel, IMO, did not do a great job advancing the story or doing anything with the relationships involved.  Granted, an adventure game is different from a point-&-click game but I do think its comparable.