Star Wars: Rogue One (POTENTIAL SPOILERS)

Just saw this last night. Awesome movie. Some parts felt a bit rushed but overall solid. It pays some homage to the originals but it doesn't rehash them and make it feel like a rip off. I'll have to see it again before I decide where to place it but it's definitely up there. The ending is fucking awesome.
No Half Measures....

Comments

• Also there was no mid or end credits scene. 
    ChiefPizzaahauntedworldDummy
    No Half Measures....
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    Only got out of the cinema a couple hours ago but initial thoughts are it was fucking incredible. Probably the best Star Wars movie since Empire.
    Dummyemnofseattle
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    So no need to stick around for credits?

Hubs and I are thinking of going tomorrow night; we are stuck with no sitter but a responsible 14 year old son who could handle the 10 & 5 year old if we went to the late showing (aka 5 year old already in bed)..... all this hinges on us being able to even get tickets!

I haven't been this hyped for a Star Wars flick since ROTS.
    Don't tell me what I can't do!
    Out of interest, to those who have now seen it, where does it rank in your Star Wars list? I think my list now looks something like:

1. A New Hope
    2. Empire Strikes Back
    3. Rogue One
    4. The Force Awakens
    5. Return Of The Jedi
    6. Revenge Of The Sith.
    7. The Phantom Menace
    8. Attack Of The Clones!
    ChiefPizzaGarrison66
  • As a self-proclaimed "Not a Star Wars Guy"-guy, I thoroughly enjoyed this one.  I liked it better than Episode 7.

Jovial_Falcon
  • i would put it behind the original trilogy. just above 7. its not a perfect movie. you can definitely tell there was re-shoots. Looking forward to the guy's cast today. 

No Half Measures....
  • BB2K Adelaide, South Australia
    i was pretty sceptical about this going it, but i ended up really enjoying it. there was a couple of awful fanservicey things (running into the aliens from the mos eisley cantina was the worst thing), and grand moff tarkin looked fucking horrific, but it was a real nice movie. the last third was pretty thrilling and satisfying, though i think the last shot was a bit too self congratulatory
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    amyja89 said:

Only got out of the cinema a couple hours ago but initial thoughts are it was fucking incredible. Probably the best Star Wars movie since Empire.

That's what I thought, but Jim was pretty "meh" about it.  Full podcast just got released, let me know what you think.
    Elisa
  • I would put it top 3, though I would have to put it at a tie with force unleashed after 1. Empire and 2. ROTJ. Didn't mind the Fan service bits, especially the leaders of the different squadrons from New Hope! Tell Jim to take a deep knee bend, and get that guy to watch Guardians already haha
    TheEconomist
  • It was weird regarding special effects. On the one hand you have impeccable and somewhat unbelievable recreations of Tarkin and Fisher, but some scenes with ships pulled me out (star destroyer above Jedha for example looked bad in my opinion). I didn't think about it until now but Jedha - the link to "Jedi" is too much of a coincidence. Perhaps the Jedi "birthplace"?

Great movie that was able to still be compelling despite the fact we kind of know how it ends. Loved the Vader scene at the end, freaking cool.

• edited December 2016
    Just got out of an IMAX showing, while there were flaws, I really enjoyed the movie after the uneven start (which I thought was the weakest part). I was taken out of the experience a little as the person next to me had fidgety legs and was rocking my armrest for almost the entire back half of the movie. For me this goes right below Force Awakens and above 1-3. If this was the lighter version I WANT to see the darker cut lol.

I didn't have the same issues with CGI as others posted and the only one I really caught was Princess L.

I also got to see a 5min preview of Dunkirk and hollyyyy ish that movie is going to be crazy.
  • Funny you mention the dude sitting next to you being fidgety. Mine was rocking his leg like he just smoked all the Meth Walter White ever cooked. And to add to that he was sick and coughing every 5 minutes or so.
    No Half Measures....
  • One last note, just finished listening to the podcast for my 1st run. Surprised the guys didn't talk more about how this movie really blurred the lines of good (Alliance) and Evil (Empire). I thought it really showed just how "messed up" the alliance was and they lead and participated in many bad things that heir members questioned ethically. The line from The OT "from a certain point of view" was latched onto here. Of course I could have just missed that convo and will catch it on my relisten.
  • TheEconomistTheEconomist Chattanooga, TN
    I had a genuine nerdgasm of an endorphin rush and tingles when the rebel fleet arrived and the squadron leaders reported in. That space battle was one of the most spectacular things I've seen in a long time. If you're debating if 3D IMAX is worth it, it totally is.
    Jovial_Falcon
  • You guys wondered in the cast if Disney would de-canonize the prequels - well, I think Rogue One firmly puts that idea to rest with Jimmy mother fucking Smits reprising his role as senator Organa.  And I gotta say, as much as I hate the prequels, seeing Smits was oddly satisfying.  A little weird that Smits still looks like Smits while Ewan now looks like Alec Guiness, but I suppose the harsh living on Tattooine will do that to you.   
    A_Ron_HubbardChiefPizza
  • Man, I loved this movie. Finally, the movie I have been waiting for since reading the EU as a pre-teen. I'm just happy that they didn't need to make this a "fun" blockbuster action movie, and just made a movie set in an awesome universe. I've seen some reviews that say it didn't "feel like a Star Wars movie", and I don't know what movies I've been watching because it feels more in place than any of the prequels.  

Not only do I think this is a great movie, I actually think it makes "New Hope" an even better movie. Adding the last half of R1 to NH makes everything seem tighter with more at stake. I'm tentatively putting it below Empire, for now, but I'll reevaluate it later to see if I think it's the best in the series. I had almost given up hope after TFA, but I'm fully onboard now. 
    amyja89
  • edited December 2016
    Watched it last night.  I'm more Jim than A_Ron on this one.  I mean, seriously, Mon Calamari, can I get an orbital bombardment capability, please??  

I'd love to see a remix of Rogue One told Lethal Weapon / Falling Down style from the perspective of Red Five rolling his ass out of bed.  "One more day on the job and it's off to my well-earned retirement, gold watch and cake - here I come."

Speaking of cake, I liked his Porkins'ness did make me LOL a bit.

TheEconomist
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Hey yeah, where was Porkins?! Movie is now ruined!
    TheEconomistvisi0nFernNYC17
  • TheEconomistTheEconomist Chattanooga, TN
    I have to say I agree if there's one thing this movie accomplished successfully it's retconning the major plot hole of A New Hope with why did the Empire build the Death Star with such a major flaw. It's actually quite brilliant.
    visi0n
  • I don't know if i was tired or what, but I couldn't understand the accents of most of the main characters. I thought the first 45 min was really disjointed and dragging. I thought the movie was too busy and rushed. The final act was fine and pulled at your heart strings, even though it felt un-earned. The only death that really got me was K2. I liked the visuals of the blind man walking through the battle and his friend getting revenge. The premise seemed kinda silly to me with these guys just joining up without really discussing anything. It is all worth it for Vader at the end, though. I would have sat thru 2 hours of anything to see that 30 second scene of him taking out the rebels and them passing off the Death Star plans. 
    Elisajomiha
  • Hey yeah, where was Porkins?! Movie is now ruined!

He was in my theater.... (had someone cosplay as him).
    visi0nTheEconomistA_Ron_Hubbard
  • I don't know if i was tired or what, but I couldn't understand the accents of most of the main characters. I thought the first 45 min was really disjointed and dragging. I thought the movie was too busy and rushed. The final act was fine and pulled at your heart strings, even though it felt un-earned. The only death that really got me was K2. I liked the visuals of the blind man walking through the battle and his friend getting revenge. The premise seemed kinda silly to me with these guys just joining up without really discussing anything. It is all worth it for Vader at the end, though. I would have sat thru 2 hours of anything to see that 30 second scene of him taking out the rebels and them passing off the Death Star plans. 

You must have been nodding off ;) I thought they set up everything. They discussed it before they got together (there was no need to discuss again).
  • edited December 2016

I have to say I agree if there's one thing this movie accomplished successfully it's retconning the major plot hole of A New Hope with why did the Empire build the Death Star with such a major flaw. It's actually quite brilliant.

That aspect, I really liked.   That and Vader's snowbird retreat was cool and the hallway stuff was pretty great.   If the rumors were true and this was the watered down version of Vader, I'd like to have seen his unfiltered shenanigan out takes.
    Elisa
    Did anyone else get a 'more than friends' vibe from the blind man and his badass companion? Being gay I often find myself interpreting relationships as something 'more than' in mainstream media, just by coming at things from a different perspective I guess, but the vibes were pretty strong during their last scene together, don't you think?
    visi0nTaraC73
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited December 2016
    Vader scene was probably the best 30 seconds of Stars War ever. If that was the watered down version I'll will burn Disney to the ground if they don't release the uncut version of that scene. It's the one thing o wanted to see on the prequels and they finally nailed it.

Also, with facial technology improving maybe we are going to get a younger Luke Skywalker scene in 8 or 9 where we see him start the Jedi Academy. I'd be down for that.

Shit given they have 30 years worth of material between 6 and 7 maybe in 5 years when they tech is better and cheaper we get a whole movie set between this period and get a younger Luke trying to rebuild the Jedi.
    Murderbear
    No Half Measures....
    Yeah, that Vader scene, the noise I let out in a thankfully mostly empty theatre was NSFW!
    visi0nMurderbear
  • amyja89 said:

Did anyone else get a 'more than friends' vibe from the blind man and his badass companion? Being gay I often find myself interpreting relationships as something 'more than' in mainstream media, just by coming at things from a different perspective I guess, but the vibes were pretty strong during their last scene together, don't you think?

I didn't get that vibe at all. It was more of a "war buddies" type deal or "blood but not blood". They were each others "crutch" and relied on each other. It was almost the humanoid version of C3po and R2D2.
    amyja89
    KingKobra said:

amyja89 said:

I didn't get that vibe at all. It was more of a "war buddies" type deal or "blood but not blood". They were each others "crutch" and relied on each other. It was almost the humanoid version of C3po and R2D2.
    You're probably right, I'll just be over here in the lesbian corner shipping Rey and Jyn. ;-)
    TheEconomistTaraC73
  • amyja89 said:

KingKobra said:

amyja89 said:

You're probably right, I'll just be over here in the lesbian corner shipping Rey and Jyn. ;-)
    That's kinda morbid no? :p
    amyja89
  • Speaking of trailers, I think it would be interesting to see what others saw.

For my IMAX:

Dunkirk (holy ish, this in IMAX will be intense. I have a feeling some folks may get motion sickness)
    Transformers, (meh looks like standard Transformers)
    The Mummy (kinda meh on this one)
    Spider-Man Homecoming (looks good)
    Pirates of the Caribbean (short and not much footage was shown).

I think there were a couple more, but they escape me now). .
    TaraC73