The Moutain smashes a 1000 year old Weightlifting Myth

edited February 2015 in Game of Thrones
Here is the main idea:

The myth surrounds a Icelander from the middle ages named Ormur Stórólfsson. Legend has it that he found a log that was 10 metres wide and weighed somewhere in the vicinity of 630kgs. It took 50 "mere mortals" to place the log on his back, and he managed to walk three steps with it before the enormous weight of the log broke his back, and he was never the same after that.

Not only did Björnsson manage to match that feat - seriously, they found a 600+ kilogram log for him and he put the damned thing on his back - he managed to takefive steps with it before the weight became too much. And his back? It didn't break. Not even a little bit.

The youtube video is at the bottom of the article. Just insanity. Pure insane strength

http://www.pedestrian.tv/news/entertainment/game-of-thrones-the-mountain-smashed-a-1000-year-o/3f119cc5-22f3-49ad-af88-1cfe4830607d.htm?utm_content=bufferba5a5&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Comments

• edited February 2015
    pff ahnold does this with one arm while carrying his chainsaw in the other.

Seriously though I don't understand what's so myth-busting about this. Did Ormur have a weightlifting belt? He clearly didn't have an apparatus to lift it up from underneath ever so slightly, to conveniently not crush his back when he couldn't hold it up any longer. Once 50 guys drop it on his back with no safety apparatus and he takes a few steps with it and escapes its wrath falling down on top of him I'll be sold on the myth busting aspect. But even then, that doesn't disprove that Ormur did it and break his back in the process, it just demonstrates that it can possibly be done without the injury. But I don't see how this video discredits the myth at all...
  • It was more of a showing that Bjornsson can puck up 1322 pounds. Obviously with modern times not using gear is foolish. Thats probably why the guy's back broke originally.I see your arguement, I just think its impressive that he was able to pick it up at all.

And Commando is the shit. Even when Alyssa Milano smears Ice Cream in Arnold's face
  • @Jovial_Falcon Yeah true it is quite impressive, but I don't have any concept of what this compares to so it's mostly lost on me. That is, what weight can most other guys like that lift in that fashion? Is 1000lbs normalish? 900? etc.

Haha yeah my favorite quip from Commando is after this scene:

She asks what he did to him and he's just like, "I let him go."
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    What cracks me and Jim up about that scene in Commando is they hired the shortest, scrawniest stuntman specifically so that Arnold could hold him out one handed like that. That's a shame about the 80's era badasses, their level of competition wasn't exactly up to snuff. Just take Commando. Bennett? Really? That fishnet tank top wearing, beer gut having, sack of shit with a Eugene hair cut is going to take on Arnold as The Big Bad? Come on... Dude looks like Freddy Mercury if he'd just let himself completely go.
  • The guy he "let go" had a small role in John Wick. Hard to recognize him tho. Clearly a lot older
  • edited February 2015

What cracks me and Jim up about that scene in Commando is they hired the shortest, scrawniest stuntman specifically so that Arnold could hold him out one handed like that. That's a shame about the 80's era badasses, their level of competition wasn't exactly up to snuff. Just take Commando. Bennett? Really? That fishnet tank top wearing, beer gut having, sack of shit with a Eugene hair cut is going to take on Arnold as The Big Bad? Come on... Dude looks like Freddy Mercury if he'd just let himself completely go.

Yeah there were some real laughably bad characters, but you can't write off the decade, there were plenty of greats:

And hell for that matter:

And Arnold himself:

And what about the ones that mostly come out at night? (mostly):

http:// youtu.be/Jp7SNoYOQmY?t=29s

^Won't embed for some reason, maybe youtube permission settings or something.

This creepy fuck makes a coat hanger menacing:

Which reminds me, super hot Nazi chick was great stuff too:

And what about good 'ol Hans? Still easily one of the most competent menacing bad guys in any action movie.

Hell even his minions are scary bastards:

Sure there was plenty of cheese to go around then but there were still some great villains.