Dolores Plot Hole or Did I miss something? (may be SPOILER)

This may be a SPOILER if you haven't watched all of Season 1)

Upon a rewatching binge, I am now thinking I discovered a plot hole in Ep 3, The Stray, concerning Dolores.

We realize at the end of the season the MIB and the Teddy / Wyatt story are in the 'current' or "now' time line, Dolores & Arnold talking in the room under the church is timeline pre DOA (death of Arnold), and William & Dolores story is 30 years prior to 'now' and 1 year or more after DOA.

That stated, how and why is it that Dolores finds William's camp at the end of the episode? 

We see Dolores & Arnold, then we see her leave the workroom, so this is the earliest timeline.

NEXT we see Dolores in Sweetwater speaking to the Marshall about the bounty hunting party for Wyatt, so this is the 'now' timeline.

Next we see her go home, have quasi moment of self awareness and, while nearly getting killed, she has a flashback of the MIB, so this is the 'now' timeline.

NEXT, she rides off on a white horse.  WHEN did this last part happen? In the 'now' ? The reason I ask is that NEXT we see Dolores approaching William's camp (with the same horse mind you). Huh ?!?!?  What'd I miss?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited December 2016
    Just because a scene immediately follows another doesn't mean it's in the same timeline.  Similarly, there's an episode where Stubbs is told that Dolores is deviating and they're not sure she's with a guest and he says to send someone to check it out.  Later on in the same episode, Dolores, after talking to the little girl in Las Mudas, is nearly grabbed by someone presumably working for the park until William steps in.  From the way it's presented in the episode, you'd think those two episodes were from the same timeline and in sequence, but they're not.

That's what you'd assume with the way they edit it, and that's how they confused people for most of the season. Remember, Dolores has been off her loop on her new loop may times over the years.

manhattnikVasilnate1
  • manhattnikmanhattnik the big apple
    Wait, those two events weren't from the same timeline? Damn.
  • But that's the point isn't it? Dolores flat out says that she can't tell if she's in the now or lost in her memories. I think they wanted the audience to feel the same way.
    KingKobra
  • Stackpile said:

But that's the point isn't it? Dolores flat out says that she can't tell if she's in the now or lost in her memories. I think they wanted the audience to feel the same way.

They did and said as much (season 1 was really us seeing things through their eyes).
  • Stackpile said:

But that's the point isn't it? Dolores flat out says that she can't tell if she's in the now or lost in her memories. I think they wanted the audience to feel the same way.

yeah, that's true and they did say that...  although they sort of cheated imo because we aren't actually confined to delores's pov most of the time--we frequently hop out of it (into maeve, lee, ford, elsie, william, ...  etc etc), so it's a little disconcerting when most of the story is a floating omniscient pov (albeit with some real glaring blind spots) but 25% or so of it is that of an unreliable narrator.  like if "memento" was told from both leonard and teddy's points of view--i'm not sure it would work the same way if we broke out of his perspective at all.

in a way i think that would have been a more interesting story, if we had been confined to the pov of a budding consciousness somehow stuck in a series of loops, although i'm not sure how you'd tell that story in a way that would hold the attention of an audience for many weeks.
  • mwspiakmwspiak Upstate NY

Stackpile said:

But I'm not a robot who's glitching out so I would prefer to know what's going on haha.

I don't think it's a huge problem, but it does scratch at my brain a little bit just when I think about whether or not I think Dolores is truly conscious or sentient.
    This is my biggest complaint of the show in season 1 is that they can hand wave too much by saying "well Dolores was hallucinating and seeing things and that's why that happens"

• Vasilnate1Vasilnate1 Salem, MA
    edited December 2016
    But we were also meant to see the story through other characters points of view as well, it's a 10.5 hr series not a 90-120min movie. So during the Delores scenes we were suppose to be confused. But then during MIB scenes we were suppose feel his determination. That was all suppose to culminate in the finale during the church scene. They sort of switch rolls, Delores starts to figure things out and
    becomes less confused and more determined, and the MIB starts to become confused and upset, because all his determination has led him to a child's toy. And although Ford programmed Delores to get to that point, he also in a way programmed MIB and used Delores as his catalyst. He does say humans are also on loops, he needed MIB to hunt for the maze so he set up the perfect scenarios for him to do so. They were both on Ford's loop