Official Direct Thread: The Darjeeling Limited

Consider this your official thread for Wes Anderson's The Darjeeling Limited. What are your favorite moments, themes, and compositions? How do you think this film relates to the rest of Anderson's filmography? Discuss! 

Comments

• DaveyMacDaveyMac Tokyo
    edited December 2016
    This was the first Wes Anderson film that I had a hard time getting into. I thought it was too Wes Andersony almost to the point of self-parody and for whatever reason I didn't respond well to everything being so literal. They actually carry around their father's luggage the whole film and then they shed all of that baggage at the end. But I've really come around on the film since and totally disagree with 2007 me.

It's also a beautifully shot film. 

My favorite sequence is easily the long tracking dream shot on The Darjeeling Limited where you see all the characters we've either heard about or seen in some form on the same train, all culminating with the man-eating tiger. Amazing shot. 

I also found the scene with the death of the village boy really affecting. I used to like it simply because it was jarring and kind of brought a seriousness to the movie that the brothers needed, but this time I really got caught up in the emotions of the father of the boy, me being a father myself now.

A couple of interesting things I got from the Criterion extras:
    • Matt Zoller Seitz has a fantastic video essay called "Chaos and Control" that really helped me to appreciate the film so much more. I tried to find it on youtube to share here, but it doesn't seem to be available anywhere but the Criterion disc. I was able to find a different Darjeeling video essay that he did here on Vimeo, and while I like the one on Criterion better, it's still really good. It's about 12 minutes long and is well worth a watch. 
    • This was the first film that Wes Anderson did without a Mark Mothersbaugh score. All the music is basically from Merchant Ivory productions or Satyajit Ray movies. There is a cool conversation between Anderson and James Ivory on the disc about music and being influenced by those old films. 
    HolyBlotterBatman