"In the Flesh" the zombie show that is 1000& times better than Walking Dead

I think I have all of two friends who watch this show, and it's criminal. The writing in this zombie show makes TWD look like a shit show. I wouldn't even call this show a zombie show, this show is about prejudice and how various types of people in a small town deal with it. You could insert, racism, homophobia, religious intolerance, etc, etc. I was constantly amazed by the realism this show maintains, you just get a sense, if a zombie apocalypse happened, and then we got society going again, it was go just like this. I love how it's contained in a small town too, there is not a lot of, "rest of the world", it just focus on a small group of people in a small town. Feel like things can get a bit more deeper and nuanced that way.
Kela15

Comments

• DeeDee Adelaide
    Watched it, loved it, had all the feels. I think S1 is more powerful because you don't know where it's going but S2 was still really good.
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    edited November 2014
    Agree, I think by the end, season2 was strong, it just took a little bit longer to get there. In the second season I really dug the zombie brothel idea, and how it showed how the society was now fetishzing a group of people for their "un-deadness," so fascinating. And I loved the struggle the sister was given too. Struggling over the love and new found respect for her brother, who is un-dead, and yet missing the nostalgia of being a badass zombie killer, and the clout and friendship's it earned her. Ehhh so good, we need to get the boys to watch this show!!!!
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    The first season was so surprisingly sad - I didn't really know anything about when I first watched it. I just tend to watch anything that comes out of the UK and seems like it might be good. In the last episode I was blubbing like a baby. But there were also some really funny moments - a great mix and a really under-rated show.
    Oh, it pulls on the heartstrings something fierce. Unlike some other show that will not be named *ahem* walking dead *cough* ok, i don't hate TWD, it's just not as good, in my opinion
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Oh, I don't think they are really setting out to be the same thing. In The Flesh is more of a prestige drama like, say, The Leftovers - it just doesn't have as high a profile because it's not from the US. The Walking Dead is resolutely mainstream adventure/drama. There's room on my schedule for both. :-)
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    So, I watched a few trailers, and it seemed interesting. The only thing I was uncomfortable with, is it seems like they're using the zombie condition and representing it as an "alternative lifestyle" ala vampirism with True Blood. Which is all fine and good, but the vast majority of vampires in True Blood actually DO drink blood and mind control people and slaughter them like cattle, which really fucks up the social commentary. Seems like the same thing kinda happens here. True? What do you guys think of that angle?
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I watched an episode and a half of True Blood before bailing so I'm not an authority. I guess there is a mild similarity, but In The Flesh is not the least bit campy or schlocky the way TB is. It's definitely a social commentary/allegory on immigration and racism, and the "accept all" message is somewhat impeded by the fact that the "partially deceased" have to take medication to avoid reverting back to zombie state.
    Concerning your concerns A-Ron ---

Without watching the show I can totally get how that looks what TB tried to do, but this show handles it far better. Some people turn into zombies, a cure is found, a government prescribed medication is given to them, and they are slowly placed back into society. But it is "prefered" that they wear makeup and contacts to blend in, as not alarm people. The main character is more than happy to do these things, wanting desperately to be taken back in by his family and community. But he has a friend, who is comfortable with her pale skin and weird eyes, and challenges people around her to accept her physicality. But, no, they are still expected to act like normal human beings, if they start chewing on people, they themselves would be horrified by that. This show is quite a few rungs above True Blood nuance wise ;) (although I do have a special place in my heart for some TB)
  • Yeah, thanks to this thread, I started watching In the Flesh last night on YubeTube (all of S1 is on there). I found it a tad bit slow at times, but I really dig it. I don't know if it's fair to compare it to TWD, yet it certainly deserves a good amount of the AMC show's attention. One series I would compare it to is the French series, Les Revenants. Then again, I'm only one episode in.

Thanks for hipping me to this.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Hurrah, a new fan! It is slow but I don't mind that if it's a good story.
  • I too marathoned the first season of In the flesh, mainly because of being hooked after watching the pilot. I found it very entertaining when I watched. As with BBC America I find better writers and shows generally...especially the shows that had american versions. Just my opinion.
  • broompersonbroomperson the Iron Islands
    This on Netflix or streaming anywhere? You have peaked my interest
  • null
    Check youtube season one is on there.
  • Season 2 is also on YouTube. I plan on watching that this week. Really enjoyed S1.
  • I like In The Flesh a LOT too. I watched both seasons as they aired on BBC America. They work in some great social commentary, and the characters are interesting and well fleshed out (pun intended!). Definitely worth checking out if you haven't seen it. It's a good alternative take on the zombie genre.

Have any of you seen the French series The Returned? It was marketed as a zombie show although I wouldn't call it that, but it's very good. It's not action packed, but it's gorgeously filmed and really intriguing. I'm dying for season 2 to get here. I think the first episode is free on iTunes. If you like it, you'll probably like the show. If the first episode doesn't pull you in, it's probably not something you'll enjoy. I have a feeling there will be more questions than answers in the show, but I'm OK with that.
    Yeah! I am so glad people are watching this series! I will have to watch this French show now. Sounds good.
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I will put it on the list too.
  • Looks like this is going on my list too. Thanks!
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @aberry89‌ The Returned (the French show - aka Les Revenants) is stonkingly good! I went in knowing pretty much nothing about it and I was riveted. The score is particularly unsettling. It's not even really music - it's just this low thrumming sound that keeps you feeling really tense and uncomfortable.
    I watched the first ep, and I know I am going to love it! It has a very Twin Peaks vibe, and I love the concept. Where do these shows hide? I am so glad you recommended!
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    The Returned / Les Revenants Series 1 is on Netflix. Excellent show.
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Just viewed Les Revenants thru episode 6. Only 2 more to go. Fabulous show. Soooo eerie and well made. Love Mogwai's music.
  • Watched the pilot episode last night, i liked it. Its got a nice angle. Ill be watching them all. Thanks for the heads up
  • I just learned that BBC canceled this show. What a shame. I really enjoyed it. It would be great if another provider could pick this up for at least one more series.
    edited March 2016
    I don't get too upset about shows being canceled much, but damn, I was really pissed about this one. Sooooo much poetical was set up in end of season 2, and fuck, it just sucks we will never see that play out. 

Hugely underrated show, most creative and unique zombie use in a piece of media in a good long while. I would drop The Walking Dead for this in a hot minute if I had to choose only one zombie show to watch.

AntManBeeKela15