Black Mirror Commission Podcast Discussion

Comments

• Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I was so happy to see this drop! What a great Christmas present. Thanks for commissioning this!
    phoenyx1023ElisaBrawn
  • Poor man's Twilight Zone. Can't hold a candle to the original.
    No Half Measures....
  • edited December 2016
    This show is so great. Really hope they do the other seasons.

My ranking for season 1:

1. 15 Million Merits

2. The Entire History of You

3. The National Anthem

But 2 & 3 are reaaallllyyyy close.
    ElisaBrawn
  • 1) The Entire History of You
    2) 15 Million Merits
    3) National Anthem

But overall, S2 > S1 > S3. I really really hope we get a S2 podcast.
    ElisaBrawn
  • I've only seen the first 3 episodes. Does anyone else think this season is a bit darker than the previous ones?
    Elisa
  • edited December 2016
    I just binged the series, which maybe wasn't a great idea heading into the holidays and interacting with a lot of people.  As far as season 1, definitely "The Entire History of You" gets top billing.  It was the most grounded of the concepts and the role that technology played was very interesting.  Anybody who has been in a relationship knows about off-handed remarks or dissonant body language, but then to analyze that with full memory and technology... esgh.  What a dark rabbit hole.

Can any UK viewers recommend other Charlie Brooker projects? I'm interested, but he's got like 10 other shows and I don't know where to start.
    Elisa
  • I'd like to high-five the person that commissioned this. This show is so much better with analysis and I was worried that they never would get around to this show. My rankings:

1. 15 Million Merits
    2. The Entire History of You
    3. National Anthem
    I honestly could go either way for #1, but I give the edge to episode 2 because of the speech from Bing. "Shut up and Dance" is my all-time favorite, but that could be because I started with season 3 and went backward. 
    ElisaBrawn
  • tpelzy Dallas
    edited December 2016
    I've 
    ChiefPizza
  • Season 3 episode 3 is the best of the show. Was such a nice surprise too to see this podcast uploaded. This is one of the best podcasts the boys have done
    Michelle
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    What a whip ass xmas gift from Bald Move. Just got done watching an amazing Cavs-Dubs game. Now I'm on my 2nd old fashioned and listening to Jim and A.Ron debate the valor of pig fuckin'. Haha. Merry Christmas!
    Elisa
  • This Black Mirror cast was the most enjoyable cast you two have made in the last 6 months. It helps that 1.03 - The Entire History of You - is one of my all-time fave episodes of TV. There's a ton of interesting ideas inside that episode to ponder. Really enjoyed listening while I did some errands and post-Christmas party cleanup.
    hisdudeness915phoenyx1023Elisa
    "Cucumber water's for closers only."
  • I just got on the black mirror train - literally last week. I watched season one and bounced around to a few of season 2 & 3 on my flight home for the holidays. I like it okay but it's so much better now after listening to J&A discuss! Especially since it's fresh in my mind.
    Elisa
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Yeah, the show was a big surprise. It deserves all the praise it gets, IMO. Glad everyine enjoyed it, and thanks to Chris and Kristen for the commission!
    ElisaBrawn
    @A_Ron_Hubbard Would you guys consider a Season 2 & Black Mirror: White Christmas commission for a bit of an extra fee? I haven't got around to the cast yet, so maybe you address this. I don't want to commission if you think you've covered everything and have no gas left in the tank. 

I definitely would be interested if you guys are, but also don't want to strain things. I find your best casts are when you are both passionate and engaged and think you and @Jim would tend to agree. 
    Yeah, I think we'll eventually do some more Black Mirror, maybe throw it up in the store.
    phoenyx1023mwspiakBenbBrawn
    Okay cool! Thanks!
  • JoshTheBlackJoshTheBlack Atlanta, GA
    edited December 2016
    Something I think was misrepresented on the podcast, the David Cameron piggate scandal was published by The Daily Mail on 9/21/15 almost 4 years AFTER the episode was first released on 12/4/2011.  Charlie Brooker has denied having any knowledge about this accusation prior to its publication in TDM, and in fact would not have written an episode about it had he known, but would instead be screaming it into traffic.  The whole ordeal does make Black Mirror seem a little more prescient thought. 

My series rankings currently, but could change at any moment:

1.  White Bear (S02E02)
    2. Play Test (S03E02)
    3. The Entire History of You (S01E03)
    4. San Junipero (S03E04)
    5. White Christmas (Special)
    6. Nosedive (S04E01)
    7. Fifteen Million Merits (S01E02)
    8. Be Right Back (S02E01)
    9. The National Anthem (S01E01)
    10. Shut Up and Dance (S04E02)
    11. The Waldo Moment (S02E03)
    12. Hated in the Nation (S03E06)
    13. Men Against Fire (S03E05)

Suggestion:  Maybe set a special price for BMS2&3 where you will do individual podcasts per episode?  S02 is 133min total.  (48m, 42m, 43m)  Maybe $500 to consider all of S02 and the Christmas Special (with Jon Hamm, Natalia Tena, and Oona Chaplin), and $600 for S03?
  • Really enjoyed that.  Nice Christmas bonus for all of us and perfect timing since I'd just finished Season 1.  Particularly enjoyed the "future social commentary" on Episode 3.
    Michelle
    A throne is just a bench wrapped in velvet
  • It might be worth having san Junipero as a stand alone commission. I think it's in a class by itself.
    MichelleBrawnDreamRycherhypergenesb
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Game of Thrones fans will want to watch the "Shut Up and Dance" episode in season 3. :)

There is no doubt that "The Entire History of You" is hands down the best episode of the entire series run (not just the first season). "Nosedive", "San Junipero", and "White Christmas" are close runners-up.

What a great show with a clever way of throwing social commentary at us in a way that makes us really stop and think. Can't wait for season 4.
    "Scorch the damn earth before you." - Liz Taylor, AHS
  • The only thing that made me raise an eyebrow concerning Black Mirror was A Rons nationalism and reverence for "Dear Leader". Completely on the opposite spectrum here. As a staunch anti monarchist, it didn't translate too well across the pond. Screw the PM, screw the royality. They don't speak for me, and don't embody anything of me or mine.
    I've seen people bemoan BM as a second rate Twilight Zone. It may be because I've watched all the originals, remakes, listened to the radio plays, etc that I find the Twilight Zone stale and boring. BM just seems fresh. I like the commentary, and as long as there are twists or shock endings, I'm content.
  • jomihajomiha Springfield IL
    Sooooo many good pull quotes from Jim and A.Ron talking about episode 1.
  • I know I would chip in for season 2 or 3. Haven't watched them yet, but loved this podcast!
  • The Waldo Moment - if it was a more popular show and people would get the reference, there would be no better name for Trump than President Waldo.
    darwinfeeshyCaptainTrips
  • ceburaskaceburaska London, England, United Kingdom, European Union (but not for long)
    edited January 3
    I've dipped in and out of BM, and only really liked two episodes - Entire history of you (by Jesse Armstrong) and Be right back.
    However, I really enjoyed the podcast, which reinforces my view that Brooker has a real talent for thinking of interesting ideas, but only that. Only in Be right back was he able to turn that into a full 50 minutes of good tv.
    Maybe some S3 episodes will change my mind, but so far E1-3 haven't.
    So I'd much rather recommend Jesse Armstrong's work on Thick of it, Peep show (both tv) and In the loop (film). He has a consistent knack of writing good shows.
    If you are determined to watch more Brooker, then Nathan Barley is the only one I could recommend.
    And here's one UK resident who raised no eyebrows at A.ron's balanced(ish) approach to politics. 

ceburaska said:

I've dipped in and out of BM, and only really liked two episodes - Entire history of you (by Jesse Armstrong) and Be right back.

I got really confused and thought you were talking about Bald Move there...I was like...wait you only liked two episodes of Bald Move empire? Why are you just out on a Bald Move message board then?
    ceburaska
  • WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    Alright. So I'll start off by saying I thoroughly enjoyed the podcast. Loved it.

But I think this might be my first complaint haha. I loved the conversation you guys had about the third episode (such an amazing episode). But I was really hoping you guys would go into depth about the episodes plot. You brought it up once in a while. But not nearly enough. I was really looking forward to hearing what you guys made of it. There was a brief debate about whether you guys thought Liam was in the right. But it was passed up on Rather quickly.

Maybe this makes me a bad guy but I kind of agreed with Liam, well for a few moments. His initial catch when he first walked into the party. Idk I just thought his initial concern was valid. And then her continuous denial of how long she knew Jonas just spiraled out of control. The alcohol may have play a part but he was right.

Anyways, I am hooked to this show. Seriously it's great. Watched the first two episodes of season 3 then went back to watch these for the podcast. Really hope to hear a season 2 soon.

edited January 8
    Yeah, that's probably why we didn't talk about it as much, because I think ultimately it doesn't matter and consequently it wasn't interesting.  If they hadn't made Liam right in an absolute sense, it would have been a much more interesting what if kind of question.  

I don't think you're a bad person.  Maybe you don't agree with me that we are looking at a relationship that was, for many complex reasons, already dead, and we had two people circling each other looking for an excuse.  So the natural inclination is to look for who is at fault.  And the show doesn't really give us enough information to decide who is the biggest reason for the relationship going to shit.  She cheated on him when he went on a 4 day trip, but was he always this paranoid and controlling, and how did that contribute to the lack of intimacy and distance between them?  Was having the baby a sound decision or a desperation move?  I'm reminded of my former therapist's comment that "rarely have I seen a relationship where the division of blame is more than 55/45 in any side's favor."
    WonderedObject
  • WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    You make a solid point mr Hubbard

• ceburaskaceburaska London, England, United Kingdom, European Union (but not for long)

You make a solid point mr Hubbard

worst internet fight ever
    ChiefPizzahisdudeness915Dummy