What does "Contrapasso" mean ? (Ep 5 title)

zoe75zoe75 Victoria, Australia
I took excerpts of  article from this site

Contrapasso   is one of the few rules in Dante’s Inferno. It is the one “law of nature” that applies to hell, stating that for every sinner’s crime there must be an equal and fitting punishment. The direct translation in Italian is "suffer the opposite"In turn, Dante derived it from Thomas Aquinas's Summa Theologica 
  Other scholars, however, contends that Dante is attempting to redefine completely the popular image of hell. ,One argues that “contrapasso differs drastically from the biblical principle of ‘an eye for an eye,’ with which it’s sometimes confused.
 In Dante’s poem, punishments must arise from the crime itself, not from the damage it has caused”  and that Dante is breaking away from the popular notion that the severity of a sin is determined by the damage done to society, suggesting instead that a sin is more or less severe because it is more or less offensive to God, not to man (or rather, that each punishment derives from the offensiveness of the sin itself, rather than the suffering of its victims). 
In Westworld this "contrapasso" is more complicated a we have Bots and humans whose "God " or creator are two vewry separate beings.
Definately worth  further thought.

Comments

• Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    Here's an idea, and I don't want to get too much into it because I honestly can't remember what happened before and after episode 5 and don't want to spoil you: This "law of nature" is remarkably similar to Newton's 3rd law: For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. It's interesting to compare the two because while one is metaphorical and spiritual, the other is empiric and scientific, but they both mean the same thing: you reap what you sow. 
  • zoe75zoe75 Victoria, Australia
    Thanks frakkin for  your thoughts.
    Just a note, I am finished watching the entire season for the second time.
    ;)