Just started drinking scotch

So I've just got into drinking scotch, I've always preferred the light liquers. The first bottle I got was Balvenie 12yo Double Barrel. I am really liking it, drinking it neat and a few times have put a few drops of water in it but can't tell which way I prefer.

I am looking for suggestions to what other bottles I should pick up.

Comments

• I enjoy scotch a lot, but I haven't done a lot of experimenting so my knowledge isn't very extensive, but back in my early 20s my buddy introduced me to scotch with Glenlivet 12 which was where my enjoyment for the drink started. I can say that Lagavulin 16 was a very unique scotch experience for me. It's a tough, but beautiful drink. Unfortunately it's ~$100 a bottle though so I only got it once as a "got an extra nice bonus" type of treat. I've enjoyed the Johnny Walkers that I have tried as well.
    Eric Bansemer
  • Macallan 12yr, Glenmorangie and Highland Park are really good.

Not sure how literally to interpret "scotch" so the ones listed below aren't scotch but I like them:

Blanton's
    Woodford Reserve
    Jameson Black Barrel

Eric Bansemer
  • You may want to try /r/Scotch on Reddit. If you do a search for Balvine. I have seen the below recommended for similar tastes, but you may want to see if you can get "samples" of other kinds of whiskey/scotch to see if you like others more.

ABERLOUR 12 YEAR OLD 
Double Cask Matured

GLENLIVET 15 YEAR OLD 
French Oak Reserve

GLENFIDDICH 15 YEAR OLD DISTILLERY EDITION

BENRIACH 12 YEAR OLD

ANCNOC 12 YEAR OLD

STRONACHIE 10 YEAR OLD

BALVENIE 12 YEAR OLD 
Single Barrel First Fill
    Eric BansemerA_Ron_Hubbard
  • Dalwhinne and Oban are both excellent too.
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited December 2016
    I've been known to drink shots of Chivas dropped in Redbull from time to time. Some bartenders have even had the nerve to tell me it's "disrespectful to scotch" to drink it like that, but fuck that horseshit. Liquor is poison, it doesn't deserve respect. Plus it's a great shot. Perfectly blends the oakiness of the scotch with the sweetness of the energy drink.

@Travis First time I had the Lagavulin 16 I hated it. Now it's my favorite scotch. It's like getting into a fight with a tough opponent, but knowing that you'll win.

Traviscdrive
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited December 2016
    @Freddy you got a thumbs up and chuckle from me for "but fuck that horeshit." I ain't too proud. I'll try it. Sounds good. Hell I made a Bloody Mary for the 1st time this year at deer camp with rye whiskey instead of vodka. I was skeptical af but I actually prefer it better now.

Has anyone ever gone to scotch tastings? In my 20s I went to 2 Chivas events and 1 Johnny Walker. Chivas had a dude in a kilt asking us to take our first sip neat, then using the provided droppers, drop 1-2 drops of water. The pitch was that the water chemically reacts with the whiskey and opens it up, making it more aromatic and enhancing the flavor. Hey, dude had a kilt so I took it as canon. Those Chivas events were the best, free open unlimited bar until the official tasting started, and the you'd go home with a free bottle. I drink it all ways...neat, few drops, on rocks, with ginger ale.

I like the Glennfiddich and Glenlivet 12 yrs. Glen Moray for a value 12 yr. Blended scotches - Dewars and Ballantines. Yes Ballantines.

Travis
  • Me and Dewars have hung out quite a few times over the years and we get along quite well. Good call, I forgot about Dewars. I'll have to try the 2 drops of water thing. I've always just gone neat. Sounds intriguing. Thanks for the tip.
    cdrive
  • Never been a fan of scotch, but probably cuz I havnt had any good ones. I've always been an Irish Whiskey drinker, always 2 fingers neat. My preferred daily drink is John Powers gold label, it's a "workin man's" whiskey fairly inexpensive if you can find it. I find it more mellow than Jameson or Bushmills, although the 10 year Bushmill is very nice.
    cdrive
  • ceburaskaceburaska London, England, United Kingdom, European Union (but not for long)
    edited December 2016
    Take a tip from @jim who just bought four bottles of this
    https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/invergordon/invergordon-that-boutiquey-whisky-company-whisky/?srh=1
    based on a dram taster in the Xmas advent calendar. It is probably the best scotch I've tasted too.
    cdrive
  • any opinons on laphroaig?
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    That's a pretty good list, King Cobra. It'll give a person a good introduction to the different varieties of scotch and see which ones you like. They vary a lot in terms of smoke, peat, and mouth feel.
    cdriveKingKobra
  • Over the years I've liked Glenfiddich, Glenlivet, and even Dewars. I got Macallan 18 had a a couple of fingers then put it away for a special occasion or when the mood struck me, it not cheap. Anyway about 2 months go by and I feel like a glass. I get the bottle and there's maybe 3 fingers left. I'm like WTF!?!? I turns out that my wife got a taste for scotch, but get this she was mixing my $180 bottle with frickin ginger ale!!!!! Anyway she felt bad when I told her she got me another, and I got her a bottle of Dewars. But for some reason the Dewars is still almost full lol.
    Eric BansemerTraviscdrive
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    Random recommendation if you're ever in Seattle- There's a bar downtown called The Whisky Bar that has a lot of options. I haven't been there for years, but it used to be pretty divey but then have tons of good whisk(e)y. (scotch and others)

funny story- When I first moved to this area, one of the many Puritanical liquor laws that were still on the books was that a bar couldn't serve alcohol without also serving food. For all I know, this might still be the case. The Whisky Bar had no interest in serving food (looks like they do serve food now). So you would go in there and they would have some bullshit food "special" which no one would bother ordering. One day it said "Pancakes $2." My friend, who is a very hungry contrarian, decided to order the pancakes. The server kind of rolled her eyes and after a few minutes he was presented with a paper plate with a couple of sad little pancakes you would expect to have been made at home by a 5-year-old. I'm pretty sure they just had one of those electric grills in the back and a box of Bisquick hah. He has an iron stomach and so ate them and asked for more, at which time he was told they had run out hahaha. 

• voodooratvoodoorat Atlanta
    edited December 2016
    so i picked up a bottle of the double barrel 12 year balvenie on actually another (bang for the buck type) recommendation and...  i like it.  

i've never been much of a whiskey drinker (except seagram's 7 with 7up back in college or whatever the fuck of which i drank i'm sure enough to fill swimming pools, but that was a lifetime ago) but recently i've been in a little bit of a spot when it comes to drinking--i've been trying to cut back on carbs so mostly avoiding beer (my favorite are english pale ales/extra special bitters but i'm mostly easy if it's not too chocolate-y) and the white liquor stuff i like are mixes with sweet stuff (buuuut no carbs, so no--also i turn into an asshole after a few too many gin or vodka tonics) or disgusting (rum and diet coke, say)--and it's also easy to overdo it.  couple of fingers of scotch now and then seems like a good middle ground this side of being a teetotaler.  also alcohol really adversely affects my sleep now in a way it never did when i was younger if i overdo it, another reason i've cut back.
  • I also enjoy some homemade liqueur, when I hiked the Appalachian Trail back in 02' and '05 I met some old school dudes that were all about "shine".  and when I was in the East Tennessee/North Carolina/So. Virginia area, "corn liqueur"  was evrywhere.   one of the best things I ever drank was Strawberry Brandy shine, with whole strawberries still floating in the mason jars.  They were swollen to the size racket balls. and just full of booze.  eat 1 strawberry and take a small sip and your drunk!  
    edited December 2016

Never been a fan of scotch, but probably cuz I havnt had any good ones. I've always been an Irish Whiskey drinker, always 2 fingers neat. My preferred daily drink is John Powers gold label, it's a "workin man's" whiskey fairly inexpensive if you can find it. I find it more mellow than Jameson or Bushmills, although the 10 year Bushmill is very nice.

I like a good working man's whiskey. I'll check out that John Powers gold label. Bushmills was never on my radar until an Irish dude got me into it. That's some good hooch. Jameson I've always had in an Irish car bomb. Many. Those aren't bad memories.

Vasilnate1
  • cdrive said:

Never been a fan of scotch, but probably cuz I havnt had any good ones. I've always been an Irish Whiskey drinker, always 2 fingers neat. My preferred daily drink is John Powers gold label, it's a "workin man's" whiskey fairly inexpensive if you can find it. I find it more mellow than Jameson or Bushmills, although the 10 year Bushmill is very nice.

I like a good working man's whiskey. I'll check out that John Powers gold label. Bushmills was never on my radar until an Irish dude got me into it. That's some good hooch. Jameson I've always had in an Irish car bomb. Many. Those aren't bad memories.

imageimage
    cdrive
  • So.........Johnnie Walker Black Label.......no?
  • For folks who are getting into Single Malts, my recommendations are generally for non-offensiveness and good intro, without breaking the bank:

Oban 14 year
    Talisker 10 year (note: NOT Talisker Storm)
    Caol Ila 12 Year

If you're looking more something more peaty, or more delicate, let me know.  I've never introduced someone to any of the three above and had a bad word said about them, though.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH

So.........Johnnie Walker Black Label.......no?

JWB is a great introductory scotch.  It's a blend, which some people sniff at, but it's a fantastic scotch in my opinion.  It is a bit pricey for an every day drink, at least by my standards, but with scotch, it only gets more expensive from here.  I'm coming to the realization that I like the Islay-type scotches, which tend to be heavy on the smoke/peat and it's a good way to get into that flavor profile.  
    bazjenster
  • OldGriswoldOldGriswold Brooklyn
    edited January 4

So.........Johnnie Walker Black Label.......no?

JWB is a great introductory scotch.  It's a blend, which some people sniff at, but it's a fantastic scotch in my opinion.  It is a bit pricey for an every day drink, at least by my standards, but with scotch, it only gets more expensive from here.  I'm coming to the realization that I like the Islay-type scotches, which tend to be heavy on the smoke/peat and it's a good way to get into that flavor profile.  
    If you haven't already tried it, I'd recommend Bunnahabhain. Islay but not peated. If you go into a shop and want to sound like a baller, it's pronounced Boon-a-hah-ben.

Else the Caol Ila is the smokey Islay I'd recommend. You have to be serious on smoke to like the Lagavulins.
  • I'm a big fan of Laphroaig (nice and smoky)
    I also like the Glenfiddich 18 year and The Yamazaki 12-year.
    bazjenster
  • If all of these recommendations are cheaper than Black Label then I'll give it a shot; I am not an expert on liquors.
  • If all of these recommendations are cheaper than Black Label then I'll give it a shot; I am not an expert on liquors.

Johnnie Walker Black is ~$45 for 750ml.  A decent Single Malt will run you about $20 more for the same volume.  Typically drunk differently though, mixed or on ice vs neat.

Worth trying a couple of single malts in a bar first or getting a sampler if you want to test the waters.
    mileswarrin
  • Plenty of good scotch recommendations. Let me add a couple non- Scotland options if you're looking to branch out:

Redbreast 12 year - my favorite Irish whiskey. I'd put it up against any comparably priced Scotch.

Yamakazi 12 year - very drinkable Japanese malt whisky. Pretend you're on Lost in Translation when drinking it!

Stranahan's - an American single malt from Colorado. Stands out in a market dominated by bourbon style whiskey's.
    cdrive said:

imageimage

Yo @Vasilnate1.  Didn't forget about ya man.  I was returning 2 kegs in downtown Houston today at this store that has everything, and I thought I'd see if they have the Powers.  They did.  And now I too have the Powers.  Gonna give it a go tonight.  Cheers. 

Vasilnate1voodoorat
  • Obligatory:

cdrive
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    I failed at scotch. I tried to but I always had to bury it in club soda and ice. I feel so bad about it. I did like Glenfiddich a lot.

• kingbee67 said:

I failed at scotch. I tried to but I always had to bury it in club soda and ice. I feel so bad about it. I did like Glenfiddich a lot.

You would need to try something very smooth, like one of the new fangled single malts that get finished in a rum or sherry cask; the older the smoother (generally.) Glen Rothes is relatively smooth. The 18 year old Glenmorangie is pretty smooth, but pricey. Find a local place with a shop keep who knows what she is talking about.  Stay away from anything anybody describes as 'peaty', i.e. moss, and not smooth. 
    Of course, it is not for some people. My wife tells me it all smells like turpentine....

Cheers, 
    Michael Nawrocki
    kingbee67