[OFFICIAL] Episode 302 - Baggage

Director:Daniel Sackheim
Writers: Joel Fields & Joe Weisberg

Comments

• So the toothache was some kind of physical manifestation of the issue with Paige right?
  • Hmm, did anyone else find this episode pretty slow? Nothing much happened to move the plot along it seems. Hopefully next week will bring more to the table. The trailer for next week looked good.
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Very transitional episode though it did introduce more layers/side stories and we found out what's going on with Nina. Still enjoyable IMO.
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    edited February 2015
    beanOD said:

Hmm, did anyone else find this episode pretty slow? Nothing much happened to move the plot along it seems. Hopefully next week will bring more to the table. The trailer for next week looked good.

It was slower than the premiere, but I don't think it was a slow episode at all. Several plots moved along, new ones opened up, Elizabeth is becoming more reckless which will surely bite her in the ass, we found out more of Elizabeth's backstory which helped crystallize her motivations, and the Philip and Elizabeth conflict just got way more complex. I thought it was a workhorse episode that was bookended by the horrifying suitcase scene and the heartbreaking Philip and Elizabeth scene, both of which involved Philip needing help with files.
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY

So the toothache was some kind of physical manifestation of the issue with Paige right?

I think the tooth was cracked when she got slammed into the car, but yes, I think it's symbolic of their conflict over not just Paige, but also of Philip's naiveté and "Americanism" and Elizabeth's stubbornness. Philip wants her to see a dentist, and she thinks it's too risky. Philip suggests that Elizabeth can go see her mother, which she thinks is ridiculous.

I just hope that it doesn't come down to Philip performing home dentistry, because I can't deal with pliers and teeth.
  • I like the slow burn of the Americans. I don't watch it for the action, what little there is, but for the chess pieces being moved around and the threat of discovery from Stan. I thought it was a great episode. I really love this show. I was bummed to hear A. Ron mention that the ratings aren't that great.
  • FYI.. The Americans creators are doing a podcast over on Slate, in the vein of Vince and Kelley's podcast on Breaking Bad.
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2015/01/30/the_americans_season_3_slate_s_behind_the_scenes_podcast_on_the_making_of.html

It's part of the general Slate podcast on iTunes.
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/slate-magazine-daily-podcast/id75089978?mt=2
  • You beat me to it, hypergenesb. I was going to post this. The show is hosted by the script coordinator and the permanent hosts are Joel Fields and Joe Weisberg, the two writers and creators. Really good podcast.