Taboo-mini series on FX

Vasilnate1Vasilnate1 Salem, MA
edited December 2016 in Other TV
Anyone else looking forward to this? Looks like it could be pretty awesome. Tom Hardy and Jonothan Pryce, produced by Ridley Scott.  Maybe something the boys could cover if is real good, pretty sure @A_Ron_Hubbard is Tom Hardy fan.

Elisa
"because everything would be what it isn't"

Comments

• I know I am, I could have sworn we had a thread in this before, but maybe I'm wrong.
    Elisa
  • Vasilnate1Vasilnate1 Salem, MA
    edited December 2016
    KingKobra said:

I know I am, I could have sworn we had a thread in this before, but maybe I'm wrong.

yeah I didnt see the other thread, oh well, were 3 weeks  out so not bad to bring it back up
    Elisa
  • ceburaskaceburaska London, England, United Kingdom, European Union (but not for long)
    Actually looks like one I might catch on the Beeb live.
  • ceburaska said:

Actually looks like one I might catch on the Beeb live.

when does it start on BBC
  • ceburaskaceburaska London, England, United Kingdom, European Union (but not for long)
    Jan 7 on BBC1
    Vasilnate1
  • I'm surprised Netflix didn't grab this, FX is really trying to step up their game, 2 solid seasons of Fargo, now their picking up BBC stuff exclusively 
    Elisa
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Looks pretty good.  I'm in.
  • steven knight is producing this as well, and wrote most episodes. He and Hardy previously worked together on "Locke" an interesting little drama.
    Vasilnate1ceburaska
  • Vasilnate1Vasilnate1 Salem, MA
    Has anyone in the UK watched this yet?  
  • Watched the premiere tonight, really enjoyed it. Looking forward to the rest of the "series". TH of course shined.
  • Just finished the premiere with my dad. This looks amazing.
  • DansburyDansbury Austin, Texas
    The first show was amazing! Saw plenty of Game of Thrones faces (I counted three in all). The scene between James Delaney and the east India Company was utter greatness! Johnathan Pryce shined as always and Tom Hardy did an awesome job at being a fucker you really don't want to cross! I have high hopes for this show!
    Vasilnate1
  • I really wish Bald Move was covering this. It has a fantastic cast and seems right up @A_Ron_Hubbard alley.
    Vasilnate1
  • I'm about to watch the premiere now.
  • ThomasThomas North Carolina
    I actually really liked it!  Was a little weird and distracting in the beginning, but it ended up being a pretty awesome start.
  • Jim, A-Ron. Would you consider doing a podcast on this series post Mortem if it is successful?
  • cdrivecdrive Screwston, TX
    Finally finished episode 1. Took 3 nights to finish ONE episode because #DadLife.  

I'm pumped on this new series.  I can't wait to see the next episode based on the teaser.  I'm like "aw hell nah they fuckin with the wrong dude..."

I like how the show has Talisa Stark and the High Sparrow in it.  High Sparrow used to be "Infinity Guy" to me, but now he is forever "High Sparrow."

High Sparrow's performance was STRRRRRONG.  And Tom Hardy is gonna do what Tom Hardy does, which is excellence.

Vasilnate1Dani
  • Love it so far, though I admittedly need subtitles for a few scenes (like with that compass head tattoo guy). The first two episodes really set up the plot and has me very interested in seeing how everything plays out.

• TheEconomistTheEconomist Chattanooga, TN
    I'm really enjoying the machinations for control of Nootka Sound. That said a lot of the dialogue really just amounts to someone telling James yes/no or this/that and him just refuting with the opposite or grunting.

Also just wow on James literally mind fucking his half sister.
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    This is just a mini-series, correct?

This is just a mini-series, correct?

Yes

• Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    God dammit...of course it was mentioned in the thread title. I am an idiot...Sorry all. Nothing to see here.
  • Haven't watched 5 yet, but it's kinda starting to go off the rails for me with the sister voodoo Africa stuff and how well informed all the factions are about everyone else...
    The other thing that bugs me but that's not really a big deal as someone who grew up in a state that was admitted to the Union 17th well before the events of this show is when this American agent keeps referring to the Free 15. At this time, War of 1812, there were 18 states. But Free 15 does roll off the tongue much better.

Also how is this American doctor able to operate so freely in London and attend all these society dinners. You'd think he'd be a pariah or under constant surveillance, or hell would've been deported at start of hostilities. Maybe they are just hard up for doctors in war time so he gets to stay but still watch this dude.

Still enjoy the show. It's uniquely bonkers and I like the time period.
  • @TheEconomist Even though this is strictly true, the US flag at the time that this show takes place still only had 15 stars (and had 15 stripes interestingly):

There were several states added to the union during the time that this flag was used before it was finally updated years later. But anyway, I think that sort of anachronism is not just excusable but totally realistic, especially for a character that's not even in the US and possibly hasn't been for several years. I'd sort of liken it (though obviously to a much lesser extent) to people still referring to Willis Tower as the Sears Tower even though it hasn't been its name for years. 

@ghm3 This is true that he could be hung up on anachronism but as a spy with this much knowledge of current affairs he would absolutely know about the current number of states. Also they keep referring to an audience with Jefferson. I presume this means Thomas Jefferson. Although I presume this offer was made a while ago to James and it's referring to an ability to make contact with high level American officials.

But the flag thing is interesting. Thanks for the pic.
  • edited February 11
    Yeah, East India and the King's counselor are so up in everyone's business but they're remarkably laissez faire with Stamper and Cannondale or Huffy or whatever her name is as the basis of American espionage in London?  Also sister's insurance underwriter husband going so rapidly and profoundly off the reservation is a little comical.

Also how is this American doctor able to operate so freely in London and attend all these society dinners. You'd think he'd be a pariah or under constant surveillance, or hell would've been deported at start of hostilities. Maybe they are just hard up for doctors in war time so he gets to stay but still watch this dude.

Still enjoy the show. It's uniquely bonkers and I like the time period.

• All right.  Just caught up with #5.  

TIL from Taboo: the zenith of American intelligence operations was in 1815, it's all been downhill since....