Homeland

akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
Homeland is coming back Jan. 15, apparently. Who's going to be watching? I know a lot of people dropped off but I still love it.
Be a human, not a machine.

Angie Kritenbrink
akritenbrink on most social media

Comments

• AussieGreg Canberra, Australia
    I really enjoyed the last season, trailer for this season looks pretty good!
    akritenbrink
  • Can't wait :)
  • jmars99jmars99 Philly, PA
    After last season's Finale with how they left it with Quinn - I said I was done..... but of course I will probably still check it out.  This show is the Mafia to my aging Michael Corleone. Each year, I say I am done but each year I come back.  I guess January isn't complete without watching Carrie Matheson cry.

Of course since January is a wasteland lacking in new shows, it will fit into my schedule and therefore is enabling me to watch.

FYI Showtime apparently made episode 1 available for streaming early if you want to check it out. Smart move to hook people before everything starts back up after the holidays.
    akritenbrink
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    Quinn's voice was in the promo, but not his face, so IDK what that means.

Cool, I am not sure if I want to watch the premiere early because then I have to wait even longer for the next episode!!

Angie Kritenbrink

• 1st episode was pretty good. The PEOTUS character looks like she may be a mixed bag ;)

• I'm still on board.  May not watch for awhile and let the episodes build up so I can just binge watch as well.  But since my wife also watches and has a particularly busy schedule, may work out that way just because of her schedule.  But good to know the 1st episode is already out if we want to watch.
    Elisa
  • I just finished season 5, and really enjoyed it. More than some of the previous seasons.

I tried to find a good podcast that covers the show, but couldn't find any. Just a couple of amateurish ones, in which half the time is spent on the question "when will Carry and Quinn hook up?" Which I think is a shame, because I think this show offers plenty of opportunity for discussion and analyses (character motivation, "who's playing who?", acting performances, which plot lines do we suspect could happen in real life and which ones are bat-shit crazy?)

Too bad the guys don't seem to like the show. There would be very little competition for them.
    akritenbrink
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    KingKobra said:

Okay guys I dropped off the band wagon after season 2.  I guess the relationship between Carrie and Brodie really hooked me.  I tried to watch S3 but I found it kinda dull.  Should I try again?  Does it improve?  Thanks

I'm not sure if I would enjoy a podcast about Homeland or not. I've enjoyed some things I watched that went more into the spycraft of it, but that show has a lot of subtleties that might get hammered in a podcast analysis. I kind of feel that way about Mr. Robot as well and have resolved to not pay attention to coverage of season 3 until the season is over.

Angie Kritenbrink

• Elisa said:

KingKobra said:

Okay guys I dropped off the band wagon after season 2.  I guess the relationship between Carrie and Brodie really hooked me.  I tried to watch S3 but I found it kinda dull.  Should I try again?  Does it improve?  Thanks

Looks like the quote/reply got butchered ;). If Carrie/Brodie is what drove you, then you might not hang in for the rest. For me, I've enjoyed the show, but that relationship wasn't what "kept me in".
    Elisa
  • I have not watched Homeland since whatever season Brodie was hanged.  I might be persuaded to return since the promo seems pretty interesting.
    Elisa
    "I muffle motherfuckers up like Meineke"  Ghostface Killah (Clipse of Doom)
    "I don't give a fuck about your war or your President"  Snake Plissken (Escape from New York)

• Imo season 4 n 5 got the show back on track. Problem was they dragged the brody family and his character on for too long.
    Elisa

Imo season 4 n 5 got the show back on track. Problem was they dragged the brody family and his character on for too long.

I did think it was weird to focus so much on them for 3 seasons and then never see them again. It seemed like they were developing storylines for the kids and everything and then poof they were gone. But I thought that storyline reached its end so I haven't minded once I got over the initial shock.
    Elisa

Angie Kritenbrink

Elisa said:

Season 3 is where shit gets real for Carrie and Brody and then that storyline ends and season 4 and 5 are about other things, with just one little redheaded reminder.
    Elisa

Angie Kritenbrink

What are you guys thinking of Season 2 so far? I think it's interesting to go in depth on what the aftereffects would be of such an attack on Quinn. A lot of times you see someone go through something like that on a TV show and then the next episode or season they are just 100% A-OK. Or they conveniently die. I'm not sure how I feel about Carrie's new job/secret job and how they play together or how realistic that all is. But that's the thing about this show, you have to sort of suspend disbelief sometimes because some of the things they show are just unproveable since they are secret ops and such.

Angie Kritenbrink

• I still haven't figured out how I feel about it. I love my poor tortured Quinn, and kinda hate what they've done with his character since last season. But Rupert is doing a good job with it so far.

The rest is just more of the same. Oh look, Carrie's crying again. Oh hey, Carrie is doing what someone explicitly told her not to do again. Hmm what's Dar up to now? Rinse, repeat.

This ended up more negative than I intended when I started, lol. I'm still on board. It'll be interesting to see how they handle a more nuanced approach to some of the issues they've raised so far.
    akritenbrink
    Yeah, I think it's too early to tell. Oh, and the kid that makes the videos. I can see where they are trying to go with it, but he's not super sympathetic to me.
    phoenyx1023

Angie Kritenbrink

• I wish they would cancel this show. Such a waste of talent. This season is awful.
    "Cucumber water's for closers only."
  • I wish they would cancel this show. Such a waste of talent. This season is awful.

Seriously, we need to get Mandy Patinkin on something worthy of his talents. Homeland used to be that ... but hasn't been for a while. Preferably it would involve singing.

And for Claire Danes, since Netflix revived Gilmore Girls, why not My So Called Life?
    MrX said:

I wish they would cancel this show. Such a waste of talent. This season is awful.

Seriously, we need to get Mandy Patinkin on something worthy of his talents. Homeland used to be that ... but hasn't been for a while. Preferably it would involve singing.

And for Claire Danes, since Netflix revived Gilmore Girls, why not My So Called Life?
    I'm on board with that ONLY if Angela Chase has become a bipolar, disgruntled former CIA agent, Jordan Catalano joined ISIS and Brian is running the server room for the FBI.

Angie Kritenbrink

I just caught up on about six episodes in the past few days- Rupert Friend is doing some really interesting work this season but otherwise this is not one of the better seasons for me. The President-Elect stuff could be so much better, IMO and the stuff with Carrie and her daughter makes me feel so ambivalent because I kind of agree that she was behaving like an unfit mother lol

Angie Kritenbrink

• fidoz Houston
    I flushed this turd after the 3rd episode of this season. 
    fidoz said:

I flushed this turd after the 3rd episode of this season. 

It got a little better, but not much. As a fan of the show, of Claire Danes and a fan of spy shows, I will keep watching but not very enthusiastically. haha

Angie Kritenbrink

• I just caught up on about six episodes in the past few days- Rupert Friend is doing some really interesting work this season but otherwise this is not one of the better seasons for me. The President-Elect stuff could be so much better, IMO and the stuff with Carrie and her daughter makes me feel so ambivalent because I kind of agree that she was behaving like an unfit mother lol

Wait, are you caught up or only on episode 6?

As far as the season goes, while there are some schlock, for the most part I am enjoying this season (especially the last couple of episodes). I want to be careful with what I say as I don't want to give things away if you're not caught up. I will say that this show is "plugged in" and eerily close to recent events.
  • Imo this is 1 of their best seasons since season 1. Its kept me interested and the story feels fresh. Plus without spoiling anything it feels like theyve been building to this for seasons with a certain character.
    KingKobra
    KingKobra said:

I just caught up on about six episodes in the past few days- Rupert Friend is doing some really interesting work this season but otherwise this is not one of the better seasons for me. The President-Elect stuff could be so much better, IMO and the stuff with Carrie and her daughter makes me feel so ambivalent because I kind of agree that she was behaving like an unfit mother lol

As far as the season goes, while there are some schlock, for the most part I am enjoying this season (especially the last couple of episodes). I want to be careful with what I say as I don't want to give things away if you're not caught up. I will say that this show is "plugged in" and eerily close to recent events.
    I'm caught up. I wish she hadn't defended her decision to leave the kid with Peter Quinn so much. I know he isn't the bad guy the court is making him out to be, and he has the most interesting storyline for me this season, but he's also not exactly babysitting material, and she knows that. She could have waited for the babysitter to arrive. 

Angie Kritenbrink

Imo this is 1 of their best seasons since season 1. Its kept me interested and the story feels fresh. Plus without spoiling anything it feels like theyve been building to this for seasons with a certain character.

Spoil away, I'm caught up. I don't visit boards unless I am caught up.

Angie Kritenbrink

• KingKobra said:

I'm caught up. I wish she hadn't defended her decision to leave the kid with Peter Quinn so much. I know he isn't the bad guy the court is making him out to be, and he has the most interesting storyline for me this season, but he's also not exactly babysitting material, and she knows that. She could have waited for the babysitter to arrive. 
    Was a tough decision and if she waited, she wouldn't be Carrie. Work has always taken priority for her. I would agree that he wasn't the most stable at the time, but I think some of that (as has played out in show) was the meds, etc. the longer he is away from the drugs, the more coherent he is. It was a tough spot for anyone since he WAS protecting her daughter, he just went too far in doing so. He took the crowds actions as life threatening.
    KingKobra said:

KingKobra said:

Was a tough decision and if she waited, she wouldn't be Carrie. Work has always taken priority for her. I would agree that he wasn't the most stable at the time, but I think some of that (as has played out in show) was the meds, etc. the longer he is away from the drugs, the more coherent he is. It was a tough spot for anyone since he WAS protecting her daughter, he just went too far in doing so. He took the crowds actions as life threatening.
    Right but as soon as he shot the gun, the crowd dispersed. But he was so involved in his PTSD moment he took the cops surrounding the place as an attack he had to protect Frannie and Leticia from, and even though he wasn't trying to hold them hostage, that's basically what he did. Carrie had no way to know that crowds were going to show up at her door and throw rocks, but as soon as she asked him to watch Frannie, it was a big red flag to me that something was about to go horribly awry. 

Angie Kritenbrink

• KingKobra said:

KingKobra said:

Right but as soon as he shot the gun, the crowd dispersed. But he was so involved in his PTSD moment he took the cops surrounding the place as an attack he had to protect Frannie and Leticia from, and even though he wasn't trying to hold them hostage, that's basically what he did. Carrie had no way to know that crowds were going to show up at her door and throw rocks, but as soon as she asked him to watch Frannie, it was a big red flag to me that something was about to go horribly awry. 

Well of course it was, this is Homeland ;) it would have been "wasted" if nothing happened.