Homeland

Comments

• akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    Well, I guess I think it wouldn't be Homeland if Carrie was a fit mother. Lol
  • This is the only TV show I get excited about each week right now.  The subject matter is unbelievably pertinent to to today's political climate.  I do admit I find myself extending my suspension of disbelief, and I do that a lot with shows I like.  Between the FBI manufacturing their own criminals to arrest, to social media farms attempting to manipulate public opinion using facebook, comments, twitter, etc.  Last but not least, the battle for power between the White House and the intelligence agencies.  F'ing awesome TV.
    Jujee said:

This is the only TV show I get excited about each week right now.  The subject matter is unbelievably pertinent to to today's political climate.  I do admit I find myself extending my suspension of disbelief, and I do that a lot with shows I like.  Between the FBI manufacturing their own criminals to arrest, to social media farms attempting to manipulate public opinion using facebook, comments, twitter, etc.  Last but not least, the battle for power between the White House and the intelligence agencies.  F'ing awesome TV.

I still think Homeland is one of the best shows on TV, but all the fakery involved in this season's plotlines is leaving me a little flat, when there is so much effed up stuff happening in the real world that they could portray as well. And when it turned out that Dar Adal was involved in the child protective services thing, I was actually kind of disappointed because it gives the whole storyline this kind of deus ex machina out and Carrie really should be held accountable for that experience her kid had, IMO. I think it would have been more fair to let her keep the kid but insist they live somewhere else, or have counseling and visits, or something. But if it happens later that she finds out it was Dar and just magically gets her kid back, like nothing bad happened, that's a problem for me.
    manhattnik
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Need to probably get back into this. It was great, then not so great, then ended sort of strong. I've stalled out on shows just from a long hiatus getting me rusty on the plot details, despite how good it was. (Hello, Marco Polo)
    akritenbrink
    Oh, Carrie.
  • A good finale, could have served as series finale as well. Sad to see Quinn finally go, but even superman can die. It will be interesting to see where they take this next year.
  • Overall, IMHO this was one of the better seasons.  The show is trending upwards.

I was waiting for Dar Adal to provide an explanation, for his riding with the terrorist in the final episode, from 2 years ago.

This season really snuck up on me. I'm not sure why I am surprised though. Homeland is always one of the best shows out there so obviously it was going to have a few tricks up its sleeve.

I don't know about you guys, but I was pretty surprised with how Keane turned out. Do we think she was always kind of lurking back there ready to clean out the intelligence establishment so dramatically? Or did the assassination attempt push her over the edge? I mean I know the show portrayed her as being at odds with them, but it's not unusual during a transition of administrations to be at odds with the existing establishment and have to work out issues etc. It was also kind of chilling how many emotional parallels there were to the Trump transition of power - it left me wondering if the writers are prescient or if there was overlap in the show's production and those real life events.
    jtmy92
  • Not seen the finale but I know quinn died anyway. This season hasn't been great for me and it's a shame we will never see quinn at his full potential. The whole empty the gun thing I hated. It just felt annoying
  • manhattnikmanhattnik the big apple
    Sorry. I thought the finale was terrible. Keane's flop-flop was absurd. And to have Dar weakly lampshade it by saying there's something "unamerican" about her only a few minutes before she goes full cartoonish unamerican is pretty weak sauce. Too much sloppy, poor writing. Dar is the puppet master until he suddenly isn't? I felt misled and let down. Maybe it's time to take this failure behind the barn and put it out of its misery.
  • @manhattnik they already greenlit season 8, also, this show has retained its core audience fairly well. It's never been a huge hit, but still averages ~1 million people an episode. To top it off it hit a season high for the finale of 1.9 million. I expect next season or season 9 to be it's last.

I'm not so sure it was a true flip flop, while she portrayed one way, her actions seemed reactionary and easily influenced.
    We never know Dar's real motivation until the op is success or failure. He's been doing this same thing for many seasons, so this shouldn't be a big surprise. Dar has constantly pushed his scope of power, he got "greedy" and got played, this happens in real life, he's not infallible.

akritenbrink
    I dunno. I lost it after the power grab where she was kept in the "secure" location, and rescued by -- the cook? Too silly.

Sorry. I thought the finale was terrible. Keane's flop-flop was absurd. And to have Dar weakly lampshade it by saying there's something "unamerican" about her only a few minutes before she goes full cartoonish unamerican is pretty weak sauce. Too much sloppy, poor writing. Dar is the puppet master until he suddenly isn't? I felt misled and let down. Maybe it's time to take this failure behind the barn and put it out of its misery.

It was more like Dar started a smear campaign that turned into an assassination plot among his conspirators without his knowledge. We've seen Dar do black ops before and this season seemed to be taking him to a really dark place, and he definitely did some effed up stuff, but in the end he didn't know about the assassination attempt and he admitted to Saul that what he started spiraled out of his control. 

I found Keane fairly inscrutable throughout the season. I often found myself questioning whether she was a "good guy" or a "bad guy," in a show where we never really know and even the good guys are bad guys sometimes. I don't even think we know now because the assassination attempt could have pushed her over the edge; in a way the conspiracy against her was sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy. 

I found the "twist" with Brett O'Keefe unsettling, which is what the show creators wanted, I think? At least for me, it was a twist. He was sort of portrayed as a right-wing looney tunes throughout the season, but everything he said in the finale was pretty reasonable, at least in terms of questioning Keene's actions in arresting the intelligence officers. But it's still unsettling to think about how much misinformation and "fake news" and yada yada can play a role in today's political sphere.

I dunno. I lost it after the power grab where she was kept in the "secure" location, and rescued by -- the cook? Too silly.

I would imagine anyone working in that place has a security clearance and some level of training? Same with the restaurant where Dar is always seen and eventually interrogates the Senator. I actually found those scenes with Keane and the housekeeper very unsettling because to me it wasn't obvious that it was a rescue at all and it seemed like Keane could have been in danger.
    KingKobramanhattnik
  • I was really disappointed in this season. I just feel like I watched 12 episodes and nothing happened. The whole thing seems like a super-slow setup for another storyline about Keane, but without any essence in itself. Villainizing Dar Adal is nothing new. The question of Carrie being a fit or unfit mother is ridiculous because I simply don't buy her as a mother at all. Seriously, when have we seen just one sweet mother-daughter moment between them? Never. Franny is not a character, she is a plot device. She's never there because she's being raised by Carrie's sister or she's been taken into a foster home or whatever, and even when she appears it's like "Franny let's get you to school", "Franny go play", "Franny go read your book". There's no point in dragging out this Franny shit for years, it's just making me so angry. I dunno, I'll probably nope out of this show I guess.
    manhattnik
    @akritenbrink Yes, that rescue seemed a setup. I was surprised by Keane actually making it out. It was sloppy writing.

Also, was there ever any foreshadowing of this thing getting out of Adam's control until the finale? There are surprising twists and there's sloppy writing.
    And if Dar wasn't setting up a coup what the hell was he doing?

And if Dar wasn't setting up a coup what the hell was he doing?

I think he was fully expecting her to take office and try to "drain the swamp" of the intelligence establishment, so he was trying to discredit her and make her politically less viable. I don't think he was literally trying to stage a coup or assassination attempt  but his co-conspirators ran with it. 
    manhattnikKingKobra
    edited April 2017
    Reni said:

I was really disappointed in this season. I just feel like I watched 12 episodes and nothing happened. The whole thing seems like a super-slow setup for another storyline about Keane, but without any essence in itself. Villainizing Dar Adal is nothing new. The question of Carrie being a fit or unfit mother is ridiculous because I simply don't buy her as a mother at all. Seriously, when have we seen just one sweet mother-daughter moment between them? Never. Franny is not a character, she is a plot device. She's never there because she's being raised by Carrie's sister or she's been taken into a foster home or whatever, and even when she appears it's like "Franny let's get you to school", "Franny go play", "Franny go read your book". There's no point in dragging out this Franny shit for years, it's just making me so angry. I dunno, I'll probably nope out of this show I guess.

I agree about Franny- I still like the show, but the Franny stuff has always rubbed me the wrong way, all the way back to when they had Carrie get pregnant by Brody. It's a bit much. Wasn't it bad enough that she had an affair with him? " Franny is not a character, she is a plot device. " that's a good way of putting it.
    manhattnik
  • @akritenbrink Yes, that rescue seemed a setup. I was surprised by Keane actually making it out. It was sloppy writing.

Also, was there ever any foreshadowing of this thing getting out of Adam's control until the finale? There are surprising twists and there's sloppy writing.

Besides Keane hiding his "projects" no, but that was part of the point. Everyone was distracted from what was really going on until it was already happening.
    Oh yeah. Keane's "project" was Quinn.
    KingKobra said:

@akritenbrink Yes, that rescue seemed a setup. I was surprised by Keane actually making it out. It was sloppy writing.

Besides Keane hiding his "projects" no, but that was part of the point. Everyone was distracted from what was really going on until it was already happening.
    Keane is a she... are we talking about the same person?

How so?
    Oh, not Keane. The alt-right-ish guy with the bad hair.
    akritenbrink
  • edited April 2017

KingKobra said:

Keane is a she... are we talking about the same person?

How so?
    Meant O'Keefe sorry for the confusion.
    Ah got it.

By Adam did you mean Dar Adal?
  • Ah got it.

By Adam did you mean Dar Adal?
    Adam?

• He def meant Dar...
    Who's on first? haha

I think we can all agree this season was a little confusing and/or maybe boring and/or maybe super interesting in retrospect? Maybe I am the only one who thinks the last one. Now I have to go back and rewatch though because the post-inauguration scenes threw me for a loop.
  • I enjoyed the season and my only real issue was the way they handled the aftermath of Quinn's death. Almost every major character has had a proper "send off". For Quinn we got a passing comment, which seems to understate his importance.